GM's AutoTrak II Fluid....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just drained and refilled the transfer case today in my 2002 Envoy. You know, its the "blue stuff" that you can only buy at the dealer, of which I did. My question is, Ive never felt/smelled/seen anything quite like it. Its thinner, yet slippery like a synthetic gear lube but thin. Does anybody know what it is? I know there are no substitutes and stuff but Im curious as to why any other oil companies havent tried to duplicate it for sale on store shelves. Anybody know?

quote:

Im curious as to why any other oil companies havent tried to duplicate it for sale on store shelves.

Not much of a market for it. Its not a fluid that needs to be changed often. 99.9% of owners would never change it.

GM is keeping the properties of this lubericant a secert, sort of like the Syntorq for Allisions transmissions.

LOL I guess Im the .001%... Im glad I drained it.. My "Service 4 wheel drive" light came on for a day and then went off. No problems were obvious (4wd worked, Awd worked, Lo range worked) So I figured with 70k on the clock, 2 bottles of AutoTrak II on the shelf, and a 12-pack, what the heck
cheers.gif

The fluid came out pretty fast and furious plus I had a little buzz going so I didnt get a "real good" look at it but even though it was cold it was really thin. And it was more of a cloudy dark blue than a nice transparent blue like the new stuff. Any which way, after I changed it the light hasnt come on since. I noticed that when the light came on I was parked on an incline so maybe it was low on fluid and picked it up?

My company work van, an '01 GMC Safari AWD (affectionately called "the Tonka Toy") had a low-speed shudder, only while turning. There was a TSB issued that recommended changing the transfer case fluid to the new Auto-Trak II stuff...I had the dealer do it, as the van was still under warranty. Shudder gone. I'll bet this is GM's version of Mercon V...

quote:

Originally posted by TheFuror:

quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:
I just drained and refilled the transfer case today in my 2002 Envoy. You know, its the "blue stuff" that you can only buy at the dealer, of which I did.

How difficult was it to change/re-fill?

Thanx

BobW.

Its a one Beer job. It takes about 15 minutes to drain the T-case and replace the fluid. There is a fill plug and a drain plug,it couldn't be much easier.

quote:

Originally posted by SteelheadGuide:

quote:

Originally posted by TheFuror:

quote:

I just drained and refilled the transfer case today in my 2002 Envoy. You know, its the "blue stuff" that you can only buy at the dealer, of which I did.

Thanx

BobW.

Its a one Beer job. It takes about 15 minutes to drain the T-case and replace the fluid. There is a fill plug and a drain plug,it couldn't be much easier.

Is it a 12 or 16 ounce job?
grin.gif

cheers.gif

Bob W.

quote:

Thanx
BobW.

Bob- it was easy to drain it... lol BUT when you are refilling it you have to "baby feed" it. I originally attached a hose to the end of my quart bottle and stuck it in the hole. However, every time any moderate amount of fluid went into the t-case, a pretty good amount would "come back out". Therefore, I had to resort to the ol' turkey baster and feed it in real slow. It ended up taking about 2hrs and took just a bout 1/2 cup less than 2 quarts.
Either which way I did notice my Auto 4wd catches a lot quicker now and doesnt go "in and out" like it used to. My advice: change it for peace of mind at 70k miles and dont worry about it again. I changed mine at 70k and it was still blue, but noticeably thin and not clean blue like the new stuff. At $7 each for a qt of AutoTrak II, its cheap insurance and peace of mind if you are a maintenance fanatic like myself
grin.gif

quote:

quote:

Thanx
BobW.

Bob- it was easy to drain it... lol BUT when you are refilling it you have to "baby feed" it. I originally attached a hose to the end of my quart bottle and stuck it in the hole. However, every time any moderate amount of fluid went into the t-case, a pretty good amount would "come back out". Therefore, I had to resort to the ol' turkey baster and feed it in real slow. It ended up taking about 2hrs and took just a bout 1/2 cup less than 2 quarts.
Either which way I did notice my Auto 4wd catches a lot quicker now and doesnt go "in and out" like it used to. My advice: change it for peace of mind at 70k miles and dont worry about it again. I changed mine at 70k and it was still blue, but noticeably thin and not clean blue like the new stuff. At $7 each for a qt of AutoTrak II, its cheap insurance and peace of mind if you are a maintenance fanatic like myself
grin.gif

It really took you two hours? I use a gear oil pump and it takes about 5 minutes to fill the T-case.

Would you like me to pat your back? lol... i have a hand siphon pump but is has residual dirty trans fluid in it. I guess you live, you learn
worshippy.gif

quote:

quote:

Thanx
BobW.

Bob- it was easy to drain it... lol BUT when you are refilling it you have to "baby feed" it....My advice: change it for peace of mind at 70k miles and dont worry about it again. I changed mine at 70k and it was still blue, but noticeably thin and not clean blue like the new stuff. At $7 each for a qt of AutoTrak II, its cheap insurance and peace of mind if you are a maintenance fanatic like myself
grin.gif

Outstanding!

Is there a fluid height setting like the rear diff (so many millimeters below the fill hole) or is is simply filling until it starts to dribble out?

Gratzi.

Bob W.

On the rear differential on my 2002 Envoy, which is a G80 locking, or anti-slip axle, it took a total of 2 quarts and started dribbling out on the last few tablespoons of the 2 quarts. As far as I know you are supposed to put 2 quarts in and call it a day.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
There is also a TSB that says to dicontinue flushing transcase and installing new fluid. Problem was not with the fluid.

Mike, do you have any more info on this? Just yesterday, I thought the low-speed turning shudder had returned for a second...then I thought: "nahhh, I had the transfer case flushed already...it COULDN'T be..."

I have been looking for it but have not found it yet. I do recall skimming over and reading the statement to discontinue flushing transfer to eliminate clunk. Was traced to some other thing, slip yoke on trans I think. Been a month ago that I saw the TSB.

There is 1000's of TSB to peruse and they are indexed by years and models. If I find it, I will scan it and post.

Sometime during 2001 model run they started installign AutoTrak II lube in all AT transfer case's.

If its any consolation to you guys, I changed my 2002 Envoy T-case just for maintenance reasons. I had bought it with 60k miles and did not know if the T-case fluid was ever checked/topped off/changed.
For $14 (2qts of AutoTrak II) Im glad I did it and have peace of mind. My point: If it will make you feel better changing the fluid, even though people say you dont have to, change it for peace of mind. Its only $14. But be sure to use that pump method somebody mentioned up top 'cos using the turkey baster really sucks!

quote:

If its any consolation to you guys, I changed my 2002 Envoy T-case just for maintenance reasons. I had bought it with 60k miles and did not know if the T-case fluid was ever checked/topped off/changed.
For $14 (2qts of AutoTrak II) Im glad I did it and have peace of mind. My point: If it will make you feel better changing the fluid, even though people say you dont have to, change it for peace of mind. Its only $14. But be sure to use that pump method somebody mentioned up top 'cos using the turkey baster really sucks!

I bought a quart bottle pump this weekend for about 6 clams at Kragen's, and am planning to swap the transfer case fluid at 20K mile.

cheers.gif

Bob W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back