GM Vehicle-Which PS fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

The 99 WS6 get's very little road time, but I wanted to flush out the fluid and throw some new stuff in.

Before consulting with anybody, I went down to GM and bought whatever fluid the parts guy brought from the back.

The oil is clear as water when I opened the bottle up, and I have no clue what fluid it really is-mineral/synthetic?

For a car that is cruised around in from may-october, is this an OK fluid or can I do better?

From what I understand, most Power steering is "universal" to an extent. The extent being the few rare manufacturers that have "specs" that the fluid has to meet. But hey, if you got it from the GM dealer, it's gotta be the right stuff.....? Provided you gave them the right yr/make/model/engine size information
smile.gif

I've heard most power steering fluid is simply light petroleum products; which is why MMO (up to 16 oz.) can actually be substituted (in a pinch, i.e. if no proper fluid is available) in the reservoir....

Originally Posted By: ahoier
From what I understand, most Power steering is "universal" to an extent. The extent being the few rare manufacturers that have "specs" that the fluid has to meet. But hey, if you got it from the GM dealer, it's gotta be the right stuff.....? Provided you gave them the right yr/make/model/engine size information
smile.gif

I've heard most power steering fluid is simply light petroleum products; which is why MMO (up to 16 oz.) can actually be substituted (in a pinch, i.e. if no proper fluid is available) in the reservoir....

I dunno about that. My experience is that it's as varied as transmission fluids. I'd reference the owners manual, or as was stated amsoil's site. But, I'm sure you're fine with OEM, also.

Most power steering fluid for Gm cars is clear out of the bottle.

I just flushed a 03 Sunfire the other day using the turkey baster method. The fluid came out very dark almost black at first.

It took about 3 quarts of fluid total to get it totally flushed out.

Steering feel is greatly improved.

I did the baster flush on my '99 Malibu because of the opaque Guinness Stout appearance of the fluid. My system also took 3 quarts of transfusions before the fluid became transparent.

I also added a bottle of Lubegard Power Steering Fluid Protectant, something I heartily recommend. The PS pump got real quiet after I put in the Lubegard.

Originally Posted By: Striker
Hey guys,

The 99 WS6 get's very little road time, but I wanted to flush out the fluid and throw some new stuff in.

Before consulting with anybody, I went down to GM and bought whatever fluid the parts guy brought from the back.

The oil is clear as water when I opened the bottle up, and I have no clue what fluid it really is-mineral/synthetic?

For a car that is cruised around in from may-october, is this an OK fluid or can I do better?

Was this a black bottle labeled GM VehicleCare ?

Here is some reading to do:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2180747

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Originally Posted By: Striker
Hey guys,

Was this a black bottle labeled GM VehicleCare ?

Here is some reading to do:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2180747

No sir, it is a black bottle marked ac delco but nothing "GM vehicle care"

Amsoil or Redline would probably be cheaper, but your dealer should also have the GM cold weather PS fluid. They call it a synthetic or semi-synthetic, and it's dyed green, for what that's worth. I have used it with good results in a Silverado. The local dealer wants about $20 US/quart now, so I might go with Redline next time.

I have been using DexronIII ATF in mine (Suburban listed in sig) for 8 years...no issues, no whine...performs great. I turkey baste mine every other year to keep everything fresh.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
From what I understand, most Power steering is "universal" to an extent.

That's rather like being "pregnant to an extent", isn't it?

Just did a flush and fill on my 98 K1500. Dealer stated the "GM vehicle care" black bottle w/blue labels, clear fluid was correct fluid, $9 per quart, took two(supersedes others). Turkey baster, refill, then flush (disconnect return line, plug reservoir inlet, raise front wheels and have a helper turn back and forth slowly with engine off, not letting it run dry) worked like a cherm and steering feels much better
smile.gif

Quote:

As I mentioned on another thread, the Amsoil PSF is closer in formulaton to the GM PSF, but the Amsoil has synthetic base oils.

The current Redline PSF formulation does not cover the GM PS fluid #89020661 product.

Thanks MolaKule- I think I'll stick with the two quarts of GM fluid I have right now.

The only way I could justify retiring the OEM stuff at this point is if I can really see and feel a genuine difference by switching to the Amsoil, and I'm not suggesting that there wouldn't be any of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back