GM pulling the plug on the "Spark"

I was at my dealership looking at them last night and almost bought a purple one lol.
Maybe it was mine.

005.jpg

I love this sort of car: basic, simple, easy to repair, low cost to run. The Mirage and Saturn SL [manuals] the last of the breed it appears.
I almost pulled the trigger on one of these, liked the idea, but I live on the highway and these cars were just going to be the death of me with their NVH I thought. Shame. Bit of sound deadner, or the same idea just in the next size up. Which was found in my Camry ultimately, but it still costs more on purchase and fuel.

GM will be fine letting the Spark go. They making a killing on CUV’s SUV ‘s right now with short supply now chip shortages They have the upper hand. The Auto Manufacturers loving this shortage problems because less to no incentives on every vehicle. Customers that are willing to pay mark ups win win. The Spark won’t be missed

VI can’t say I’m shocked but surprised GM still imported the Spark from Korea for so long.

Nissan and Hyundai are soon to have lock on that market.
Gas prices are currently on the rise, with no end in sight, interest rates are set to rise, new car prices are rising as well, and GM kills off a dirt cheap fuel-sipper?
You see the ‘big 3’ get into trouble, come begging for loans…etc…it’s these very poorly timed decisions that don’t seem like a big deal at the time that become big problems down the road.
Vietnam of all places is set to debut 3 electric vehicles in North AMERICA!!

there will always be some demand for an entry level, cheap economy sedan no matter how much the market shifts towards SUVs. Not everyone has 20k to spend for a Venue or Trailblazer. The market will always be there. Small, but none-the-less present.

I have a good feeling Mitsubishi might pull out of the market. Leaving the Versa the only option. IMO versa is much nicer than a mirage

Last edited:
Gas prices are currently on the rise, with no end in sight, interest rates are set to rise, new car prices are rising as well, and GM kills off a dirt cheap fuel-sipper?
You see the ‘big 3’ get into trouble, come begging for loans…etc…it’s these very poorly timed decisions that don’t seem like a big deal at the time that become big problems down the road.
They killed it because no profit and no sales it's that simple

Of course they're discontinuing it because dealers can't add a $5000+ "market adjustment" to a 15K MSRP car that's worth maybe 8K in reality, so they aren't going to order them.

Of course they're discontinuing it because dealers can't add a $5000+ "market adjustment" to a 15K MSRP car that's worth maybe 8K in reality, so they aren't going to order them.

I wonder if it was more of a supply thing with the Spark. In today's market, a dealer could easily move them at above MSRP. There's basically nothing available in the old ~$18K 'cheap' vehicle.

My wife wanted a Spark she saw on the dealer lot in 2015. New price $10000.00. Basic with manual trans, power windows, AC, and AM/FM radio.
Paid cash for it.
56K miles on it so far with zero issues.
She uses it for cross country trips and running around town.
40+ MPG under any driving conditions.
The best 10K she ever talked me into spending.
I hate driving it though because of the color. Lime green! :sick:

My wife wanted a Spark she saw on the dealer lot in 2015. New price $10000.00. Basic with manual trans, power windows, AC, and AM/FM radio.
Paid cash for it.
56K miles on it so far with zero issues.
She uses it for cross country trips and running around town.
40+ MPG under any driving conditions.
The best 10K she ever talked me into spending.
I hate driving it though because of the color. Lime green! :sick:

Lime green is awesome :alien:

If you don't like it, there are other good choices including purple, yellow, orange, and even a few shades of pink they had over the years :D

Nothing wrong with a used corolla or civic or some kia thing. That is what you drive with little cash.
Found a highlander 07 for my sister 3 years ago. Paid 6500 with new tires and brakes. Three years later it went in for basic maintenance and the guy working on it in the shop offered her 12 grand cash.

Back