GM posts $4.3 billion loss in July-December period

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other question is: is Microsoft programming here or in India?

28.gif

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
Originally Posted By: marty600
Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris

Look at it in reverse. We export computer knowledge and software. Japan runs on MS Windows. Was it bad for Japanese economy???

I program CNC machines, unfortunately, 2 are japanese. Made 3 years apart, yet the NT 4.0 running the control has the exact same serial number.
These guys pirate our software, bigtime, everybody knows it!!!
I would turn them in, but the machines break down so often that I am stuck with them and their "service". I act polite and get info to fix the darned things, they charge 150 hr. to come out. To me, that's "2 timing thievery"! (software, labor)

I'm guessing the CNC manufacturer has purchased a Volume License Key from Microsoft. This would allow them to install NT 4.0 on multiple machines using the same serial number.

$150 for a call is not bad. It's similar to the rates of the US-Owned Xerox for their technicians. HP is the same way.

Last edited:

Quote:
GM posts $4.3 billion loss in July-December

Close all the GM plants in the USA and move them to Mexico. Losses will drop to zero and GM will once again be profitable.

Originally Posted By: Win
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
GM posts $4.3 billion loss in July-December period

Who else thinks that GM will be in the red despite the clean slateof Bankruptcy reorg?

From the same article: ".... It took in $1 billion more than it spent in the period."

I sure wish I had a billion dollar positive cash flow.

And If I read the article correctly, of the 51 billion and change the Feds threw at GM, It's repaid $2.4B and has $36B cash on hand.

The Fed investment doesn't sound nearly as dire as many, including myself, feared.

It's easier to have "positive cash flow" if you don't keep up with your obligations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/07/business/07cars.html

The carmakers’ pension plans were jolted by the downturn, increased liabilities and other factors. G.M.’s plan was overfunded by $18.8 billion in 2008, and was then underfunded by $13.6 billion last year, the report said.

That $51 Billion they were given has now shrunk to $36 Billion and they also consumed almost $14 Billion of their pension liability overpayments.

I suspect this was/is the long term "plan." Push the maximum amount of cash into pension obligations, declare BK and stick the taxpayers with the bill for the other obligations.

Then after emerging from BK, at some point in the very near future, default on further pension obligations. That throws those obligations to PBGC and once again, the taxpayers get stuck with the bill. A nice deal if you can get it.

It's probably instructive to view GM not for what it says it is, but for what it actually is. It claims to be an auto company. In fact, it's a retirement and healthcare provider that happens to build some cars...

Originally Posted By: jsharp

It's easier to have "positive cash flow" if you don't keep up with your obligations.

What current obligation(s) has new GM skipped since confirmation of its plan of reorganization?

The article you linked didn't cite any current obligation new GM hasn't paid, just an obligation due sometime in the next five years.

$12B is a lot of scratch, but a lot can happen in five years, it could be better or worse.

Or the govt. will just make up new rules again to accommodate them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Win
Originally Posted By: jsharp

What current obligation(s) has new GM skipped since confirmation of its plan of reorganization?

The article you linked didn't cite any current obligation new GM hasn't paid, just an obligation due sometime in the next five years.

$12B is a lot of scratch, but a lot can happen in five years, it could be better or worse.

Or the govt. will just make up new rules again to accommodate them.

The article stated they underfunded the pensions last year by $13.6 Billion. They got away with it because of the previous cushion that was built pre-BK. It appears that cushion has almost been used up.

Once it is they'll need to start paying into the plans again or the plans will fall under minimum funding levels. That's the crux of the article and of their potential future problem.

It's true, it could be worse. They could be Chrysler...

Last edited:
You cannot expect overnight results. Based on the changes I've seen, been involved personally with and what's being planned for the immediate future - I have great reason to believe that GM will turn around within 5 years. That is also about what time it is going to take to prove the new great vehicles being produced TODAY and purging the older problem vehicles still in production but scheduled to be dropped.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
You cannot expect overnight results. Based on the changes I've seen, been involved personally with and what's being planned for the immediate future - I have great reason to believe that GM will turn around within 5 years. That is also about what time it is going to take to prove the new great vehicles being produced TODAY and purging the older problem vehicles still in production but scheduled to be dropped.

+1, you can't turn a giant ship on a dime. I believe that GM is turning in the right direction and will get on the right course. i.e profitable and a model lineup that fits what the present market wants. I don't see their quality as an issue

The quality on -most- new cars is to the point that it wouldn't be a major deciding factor for me. It's down to a matter of whether the car manufacturer makes the car that I want or not.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Let's face it, the government bailed them out and propped them up to save the UAW and it's retirees & health benefits-the Dem's NUMBER ONE constituency!!!

And if your pension you earned was defaulted on you would expect and the government would bail out your pension too.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
NO.....

Sure you won't
wink.gif
. With the way the economy is going we just might find out.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

G.M. has been turning since Roger Smith started to turn it. Too bad it turned into a 3rd rate corporation. Though the management gets paid well.

Every one of those GM employees should be forced to lease a japanese car for a year, so they have some clue in how good the competition really is, and then can really work on producing a true quality product instead of asking for handouts because the general population has turned their back on the shoddy gm products

i have found out years ago never to rely on the gov. to take care of you....... take care of yourself and life will be much better..... That is one of the big problems we have today is that o the gov will take care of me...... If you believe that you will be in for a rude awakening in your life as you get older....

I am locking this post due to the fact that it is all over the place -- GM, computers, politics and bashing other members. I will take action due to some members violating board rules.

Helen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back