GM Pf64/UPF64R oil filter confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I'll try not to ramble on. Wife and I just bought 2018 Chevy sparks (same day, we're strange). As a BITOG member the first thing i did was look up the oil and filter requirements. Oil is easy, already had that picked out. But the filter has caused me some confusion. Usually I'd just run a Fram ultra and call it a day, but there seems to be no Ultra for my application. Sad day for me but that means i just revert back to the OEM filters. I look in the manual and it calls for a UPF64R filter. Another sad day for me as i can get the PF64 filter at Walmart, but no luck with the UPF64R.

So i look around a little bit, the PF64 seems to be the same size and be interchangeable. But I also have read small chevy engines require a higher bypass rating that the UPF filter offers. I ordered 4 of the UPF filters and just let it go. But today I was under the spark and noticed the factory filter is a PF64. In this situation would you use the more expensive UPF filters, or switch to the PF64 filter you could source locally? Also, does this mean these filters are interchangeable? Maybe there are just specific engines that need the UPF filter?

Rock Auto has the UPF64R for 5.18 each. You probably should run what's in the book until your warranty is up.

Features & Benefits:

Equipped with 98% multi-pass filtering efficiency at 25-30 microns for excellent filtering capabilities
Has a cellulose media that traps particles 1/3 the width of human hair to help ensure a clean supply of oil to engine components
Has a thermosetting adhesive seal to hold filtering media in place for consistent, dependable filtration
Equipped with superior filter capacity, enhanced efficiency, consistent flow management, and a high durability design to provide exceptional filtering performance
Has a burst-strength five times greater than most engine oil operating pressures after the oil reaches operating temperatures (as long as the normal engine oil operating pressure is not greater than 51psi), for enhanced durability

Height 3.47 IN
Height 88.10 MM
Anti-Drain Back Valve Yes
Burst Pressure 398.85
Bypass Relief Valve Setting 35.53
Bypass Relief Valve Yes
Micron Rating 25
Filter Type Spin On
Flow Rate 634.01 gph
Flow Rate 10.57 GPM
Gasket Material Nitrile Rubber
Gasket Thickness 0.31 in
Gasket Thickness 7.90 MM
Housing Color Blue
Non Slip Grip No
Torque Nut No
Gasket Inside Diameter 2.41 IN
Gasket Inside Diameter 61.30 MM
Gasket Outside Diameter 2.78 IN
Gasket Outside Diameter 70.70 MM
Marine Approved No
Gasket Type O RING

Congratulations. Your Chevy spark shares the same filter with a Corvette. The UPF64R is definitely the better filter and has a more robust back flow valve. If you google “ PF64 vs UPF64F” you can pick up an article on a Corvette forum where a guy chops both filters and compares them. I believe I they both have a higher bypass pressure than the current Fram Ultra (10575), but as far as I hear Fram plans to come out with a new product number with the correct bypass pressure.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
.... a higher bypass pressure than the current Fram Ultra (10575), but as far as I hear Fram plans to come out with a new product number with the correct bypass pressure.
Actually not the needed 35 psi bypass pressure the UPF64R has.
Originally Posted By: webfors
Just heard from Motorking. The new 22psi spec ultra for GM spec'd vehicles will be available in the next 2 months. The part number will be XG12060.
... not quite the right spec for UPF64R applications, but fine for PF64 applications. (Try again Fram, somebody you'll match GM requirements.)

Notice if your GM Owner's Manual says you need a UPF64R, that one has a high 35 psi bypass, so technically you can't use any of the Wix's or NAPA oil filters that get to 22 psi bypass, in that case.

The ACDelco parts lookup sight show the PF64 as the right filter for your car. And considering they installed one at the factory, I would gladly and easily run the very available and affordable PF64 on your car until you trade it in.

Run the PF64. Thats what I would do.

Good for you! Interesting purchases … I have 3 GM’s and one is a Cruze 1.4 … did not realize they are running spin on filters …Yes, best price on the UPF … I’m running PF63E on our new Tahoe waiting for something north of XG10575 on the PRV psi setting …

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The ACDelco parts lookup sight show the PF64 as the right filter for your car. And considering they installed one at the factory, I would gladly and easily run the very available and affordable PF64 on your car until you trade it in. Run the PF64. Thats what I would do.

The '18 Spark Owners Manual says UPF64R, not PF64. The UPF64R is the preferred choice. It wouldn't be the first time a website lookup was wrong here.

To preserve the warranty, its best to stick with UPF64R on these Sparks. Besides, there is no aftermarket superior filter for this one that matches the bypass valve psi setting.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Notice if your GM Owner's Manual says you need a UPF64R, that one has a high 35 psi bypass, so technically you can't use any of the Wix's or NAPA oil filters that get to 22 psi bypass, in that case.

What's with GM and the continued higher and higher filter bypass settings. I can't see how any factory vehicle would be causing any delta-p in the filter anywhere close to 35 PSI unless the filter was 95% completely clogged up (or super restrictive media), or was running 20W-50 at 0 deg F with cold start-ups at redline and a PD pump putting out 12 GPM.

The manual could be a misprint, or it doesn't matter which one. There is actual evidence the UPF is 35 bypass? One thing for sure it came with the PF64 and it is unlikely the engine comes with a wrong filter, more unlikely than a misprint in a book. Check with Chevy dealer parts dept. They should have given some free oil changes too. No 2 year free service on new Chev?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

What's with GM and the continued higher and higher filter bypass settings. I can't see how any factory vehicle would be causing any delta-p in the filter anywhere close to 35 PSI unless the filter was 95% completely clogged up (or super restrictive media), or was running 20W-50 at 0 deg F with cold start-ups at redline and a PD pump putting out 12 GPM.

I think it is because some, many or all of these engines are using variable displacement oil pumps for efficiency reasons.

In other GM variable displacement oil pump applications, GM uses remote oil pressure sensing down stream of the oil filter. This introduces a delay in throttling the oil pump back. By increasing the bypass valve setting GM hopes to minimize bypass events on cold starts. This would limit the circulation of unfiltered oil during cold starts.

Hopefully this explanation is good enough.

WellOiled - thanks, yeah I've seen that explanation discussed in the GM TSB. But I can't imagine any variable output oil pump is putting out any more flow before the control system kicks in than a fixed PD pump at start-up where RPM is around 1000. A variable pump's output is still RPM dependant. Even if the new style pump's outout was doubled at low start-up RPM, it's still ptetty low flow due to low RPM.

Jim Allen's delta-p testing thread (sticky in this forum) showed you'd have to really rev the engine with cold oil to just get ~8 PSI of delta-p across the filter.

They should have kept the bypass valve in the block. My Chev Volt has valve in the block and has a variable oil pump. No worries about what filter.

Side note, the free Onstar with new GM is pretty nice I hope they signed you up.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
They should have kept the bypass valve in the block. My Chev Volt has valve in the block and has a variable oil pump. No worries about what filter.

What's it set to? The V8s like in the C5 Vette were only set to 10~12 PSI from what I could find.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have 4 of the UPF64R filters that i bought off rockauto, I'll go ahead and use those. Is there an issue running a filter with too high of a bypass pressure?

The 35PSI claim has never been fact checked with an authoritative source. I have contacted GM and ACDelco in the past and both refused to confirm the 35PSI figure. The only reference that has been quoted as a source on the internet is a 3rd party autoparts website.

Has anyone actually tested the UPF64R to see if the 35PSI claim is correct?
What would be the bypass test procedure to determine the difference between a 64 and 64R ?

FYI: if you do not mind buying filters without a cardboard box, you can save a few dollars per filter by using the UPF64RF part number at Rockauto. I bought a case of 12 and called it a day.

Originally Posted By: JoelB
Is there an issue running a filter with too high of a bypass pressure?
I doubt it would overload any oil pump out there since there is an oil pump pressure relief valve separate from the filter in case the filter is completely clogged and also blocked somehow.

Good points above about the possibly mythical 35 psi bypass pressure. I guess its the only source of info I have on it. Might be wrong, don't know.

GM did say at one point that you can use a PF64 in place of the UPF64R in some applications. I think they had a UPF64R shortage for a while a couple of years ago, and maybe it persisted off and on from the factory. Anyway, its not 'bad' to use a PF64 here, its just that it has a nitrile ADBV, while UPF64R has a silicone one, and maybe other differences that are subtle but important in some way. UPF64R is NOT a misprint in the Owner's Manual:

DATE 02/25/2016
SUBJECT Oil Filter Usage
MODELS 2016 Buick Encore, Chevrolet, Malibu, Cruze, Spark, & Volt Equipped with Engine RPOs LE2, LV7, LFV and L3A
TO All Chevrolet, Buick, & GMC Dealers
ATTN Parts Managers, Service Managers, Service Technicians and Fleet Service and Part Managers

The new small gas engines launched in the 2016 vehicles use oil filter P/N 12667194.
This P/N has been superseded to P/N12670058, then superseded to P/N12674698 (AC Delco UPF64R).

If this part number is unavailable you can use oil filter P/N 12640445 (AC Delco PF64) until stock becomes available for the P/N12667194 - P/N12670058 – P/N12674698 oil filter (AC Delco UPF64R).

Thank you for your cooperation.

END OF MESSAGE
GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES

Not likely a lot of bypass going to happen for some time on a new engine of that size IMO. Is the engine made in Korea? Filter? From reading I think the engine was designed mainly in Germany by GM Opel and they have an engine plant in the USA and other places. The window sticker will tell where major parts are made. The UPF is the higher grade filter so you did well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back