GM is offering employee pricing again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Here's how I grind out a deal. "I'll give you $XXXX for the vehicle, out the door. That's my one and only offer."

More times than not, I leave with the vehicle, the same day. $XXXX is usually right at wholesale value of the vehicle,

What is the most fun is when you make an offer like that that, they turn it down, then call you the next day to say they will accept it. A response of "I bought a car yesterday, what part of 'I'm going to buy a car today' did you not understand?" and the resulting brief silence on the other end of the line is priceless.

I bought my last car through Costco. They have arrangements with local dealers that get you a good price.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
As a GM salary employee (mgt,not UAW) I do get a little disgusted when GM offers employee pricing to everyone. This is because I am watching my benefits drindle away more and more every year and more salary cuts are coming in the next few months. So, employee pricing for everyone is another hit to me. However, I do realize that things are really bad and it this helps sales, then it helps me too. So, while I may not like it, I know it must happen and may help the company. I just wish they would say to GM employees, hey we're going to give you a special $500 bonus cash while the everybody in the world gets your discount so you cans still save more than the non-GM person.

As for what the deals are at GM Emp, price as was asked by another poster - I just purchased a new fully loaded Cadillac CTS with a sticker of $48,978 for $44,612 - that is on the road taxes/tags and all out the door. Good deal for sure.

sorry, but it's kind of hard to feel bad for you considering all the toys you have listed in your signature.

Who asked you to feel bad for me? What kind of response is that?And what difference does my "toys" mean? You don't know my personal situation and I work hard for what I have. I deleted my signature just to keep people like you from wrong judgements.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mpvue
As a GM salary employee (mgt,not UAW) I do get a little disgusted when GM offers employee pricing to everyone. This is because I am watching my benefits drindle away more and more every year and more salary cuts are coming in the next few months. So, employee pricing for everyone is another hit to me. However, I do realize that things are really bad and it this helps sales, then it helps me too. So, while I may not like it, I know it must happen and may help the company. I just wish they would say to GM employees, hey we're going to give you a special $500 bonus cash while the everybody in the world gets your discount so you cans still save more than the non-GM person.

As for what the deals are at GM Emp, price as was asked by another poster - I just purchased a new fully loaded Cadillac CTS with a sticker of $48,978 for $44,612 - that is on the road taxes/tags and all out the door. Good deal for sure.

sorry, but it's kind of hard to feel bad for you considering all the toys you have listed in your signature.

Who asked you to feel bad for me? What kind of response is that?And what difference does my "toys" mean? You don't know my personal situation and I work hard for what I have. I deleted my signature just to keep people like you from wrong judgements.

sorry if you didn't 'get' my sarcasm. I hardly feel sorry for you. you obviously have a good job and are living comfortably. my response was to your whining about GM offering extended discounts to the general populace. I'm just making an observation that you don't seem to be suffering for it.

it's too bad that your benefits are dwindling, I guess that's why you had to 'settle' for a CTS. boo hoo. (more sarcasm, don't take it seriously).

Originally Posted By: opus1
Not to call anyone in particular out, but I'm constantly hearing how people with GM products have nothing but problems with them and are constantly rebuilding transmissions and so forth so I have to ask: what the heck are people doing with their cars that they need so much repair, or am I the lucky person who gets the one well-built GM car whenever I buy one.

Probably the same things they are doing to the Toyota that are going 200K miles without repairs.

So the question is, why do folks who destroy the GM trannys or whatever, not do the same to the Toyota doing the same things.

The one transmission that SHOULD have failed for me was the Powerglide in the '66 Nova. Why? Because I was a 16 year old punk kid who beat on that car from 1981 until 1983 or 1984. I raced it as much as someone can race a 194cu in I6 with a Powerglide, etc. Did no, absolutely NO service on the transmission. It would just go and go.

I bought a used 1975 Buick Century. I think the transmission was on it's way out when I finally traded it for a 1987 (rare, not many 1987 titled) Chevy Beretta's. I think I only kept it for 6 months when I traded for a 1988 Beretta GT with a V6. It needed a new manual before the 12mo 12K warranty ran out, and it wasn't because I couldn't drive a stick. It wouldn't stay in 5th, so they replaced the transaxle.

Since I was still a punk kid, I totalled that one and got a Beretta GTZ and that had no transmission issues.

I traded that for a Dodge Neon and kept it only short while. I got married and traded the Neon for a Grand Voyager. Kept that for under 36K miles and bought a 2000 Mazda MPV. In the meantime, I had a series of beaters starting with the 81 VW Rabbit diesel I owned while I had the Beretta GTZ. Junked the Rabbit with probably 400K miles on it, but who knows. I think it had about 300K on the broken odometer when I bought it, and I likely put over 100K miles on it while I owned it.

I got a Plymouth Horizon that I had for 3 weeks when some lady decided stop signs were optional. This was after I replaced the ball joints, new tires, etc. So I got most of my money back from her insurance company. Bought what was probably my second best beater, a 1979 Ford Fairmont with about 78K miles on it, for $100. I drove it until 2000 and sold it with about 50K more miles for $500. No tranny issues with this one, but my mother had a NEW one that needed tranny work well before 100K miles and it was highway driven.

Somewhere in there, about 1996, I got married to my first wife, and her 1991 Pontiac Sunbird needed the head gasket replaced twice and the input shaft replaced on her transmission.

What kind of service prevents the input shaft from breaking?

Back to my cars, 1987 LeSabre, owned by my grandmother, but she didn't need two cars since she had a new Grand Marquis, so she sold the LeSabre to me with about 60K miles on it. GM dealer maintained, and had already needed a new A/C compressor and other work when I bought it in 2000.

Probably less than 15 months later it lunched the transmission on the Poplar Street Bridge (anyone from STL is familiar with this fine location for a breakdown) at 90,806 to the tune of a $1546.65 repair. I probably spent $1000 to keep the A/C working while I owned it, and remember, Grandma had to replace the compressor before I bought the car, $360 for a new exhaust system, and the unbreakable 3.8L V6 ground it's timing gears into metallic dust at about 116K miles, requiring another $600 in work. (This was about the time I started tracking how much I spent in car costs.)

So when I compare that to my four most recent Toyotas, there is no comparison.

I don't treat the Toyotas any different. All were maintained, and as I said, the only GM that I had for any long period of time that SHOULD have been an issue really wasn't. The 1966 Nova took the abuse of a teenage boy. My sister drove it after me. It was a "check the gas, fill the oil" kind of car, and my sister ran it out of oil at least twice. Yet it just kept running.

I needed carb rebuilds from time to time, and we had to put new bearings in the rear end. Oh, and when I piled 10 or 12 guys in the car, we broke a leaf spring.

But why doesn't GM build cars that take that sort of abuse and keep going.

I guess that's why I stuck with GM for so long. I remember the abuse that Nova got, and how it kept going.

The GM's I had that were well cared for were the ones that kept breaking on me.

So I made a change, and I've been well pleased.
Quote:

In 20+ years of car ownership, I have never had to rebuild a tranny or even have to have engine work done, the exception being my '99 Malibu for the infamous "lower intake manifold" repair. I keep my vehicles for at least 13 years and put well over 100,000 miles on all of them. At the same time, I hear stories from people who drive imports and have off-the-wall things happen to those vehicles that they forgive because "even [Honda/Toyota] aren't perfect."

Signed,

Dazed N. Confused.

grin2.gif

Posted by Javacontour:
"I guess that's why I stuck with GM for so long. I remember the abuse that Nova got, and how it kept going.

The GM's I had that were well cared for were the ones that kept breaking on me.

So I made a change, and I've been well pleased."

I've been pleased too by sticking with American and you obviously have chosen Japanese. But keep in mind, even Toyota has shutdown a multi-billion dollar operation for 3 months of production because people don't want their products. Two sides to every story.

Sure, everything large is selling slow right now.

I'd be first to tell you I thought Toyota was making a mistake when they started building more and more V8 powered gas guzzlers.

Time will tell if the large size of Toyota does them in. (In both ways,size of the company and size of the vehicles.) I do agree that quality is slipping. When we bought our minivan last December, I wanted a previous generation with the 3.0L V6. I figured I could check for sludge easier than I could check for a soon to fail transmission in one of the 3.5L V6 equipped vans.

If we get another Camry, it will probably be the same style as our 2002 with almost 200K miles on it. We like the style better and the 2AZ-FE engine is bulletproof and with the 4speed automatic is fast enough. I don't need a 5 or 6 speed auto and V6.

My wife likes the styling of the 2002-2006 Camry, so we may look for another one, or go for a Prius this time next year.

And I get supplier pricing for both Ford and GM. I could see using Ford's supplier pricing Mazda, but not much else right now.

The Fusion is promising, and I would consider picking up a used one if they approach the durability of the 4 cylinder Camry. Not initial reliability, but the long term experience we've had with our Camry.

I bought a 2007 pontiac G6 left over before that employe pricing started.Sticker was 23 thousand,with rebates and haggling got it down to 19 thousand.Then I pulled out 5 thousand GM points from my credit card.And I got 5 years zero finansing to boot.I stole that car from GM,cant believe there still in business.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
This idea is a prime example of what drive me nuts about GM especially, and American makes in general. This whole promo is non-sense. If you're not an employee, then this IS NOT an employee discount. Period. If I were a GM employee, I'd be outraged by this. As a potential customer, I won't be buffalo-ed by such nonsense.

I just wish that they'd set a realistic price in the first place, and then not try to sell cars with non-sense. I don't expect to be treated like an employee -- to do so would be economically unsustainable. Stop trying to sell me a car with nonsense ("like a rock" or "we build excitement").

Wouldn't it be nice if they just focused on building cars so good that they could sell them like Honda or Toyota does -- only on their reputation as great cars?????????
33.gif

puh-leeeze! Another Pious owner who wants to let his perception be the reality of others. Ever hear of "You asked for it, you got it!" or "Oh, what a feeling"?

How does it feel to buy a car from the evil empire...no not GM, but Toyota, 37% drop in sales prompted them to offer 0% financing this month. Oh that must only be on their GAS GUZZLING trucks you say...nope it's on the Camry, Corolla and Matrix too.

Hey Isn't the evil empire doing what you and every other pious owner rails GM about..plant out of work....still pay the employees...it's called a jobs bank...oh I forgot, when Toyota does it it's called benevolence. When GM does it it's corporate stupidity that dooms them to Chapter 11.

Advertising slogans, cut rate incentives and financing, gas guzzling trucks and SUV's, paying employees not to work, hiding warranty issues. Hmmmmmm sounds like Toyota is doing their best to become the GM of the 70's.

Being (and owning) a Toyota Pious does not make you better than any one of us and Toyota is in the same boat as GM, no matter what your smug perceptions say.

Originally Posted By: c502cid

Being (and owning) a Toyota Pious does not make you better than any one of us and Toyota is in the same boat as GM, no matter what your smug perceptions say.
Somebody sounds really, really, really bitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back