GM Getting 50 Billion More!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: milwaukee
I am referring to the UAW/Teamsters/AFLCIO etc etc.... who helped GM/Chrysler fall apart and the UAW that KILLED the auto industry in the USA. Nothing odd about it.

Seriously, have you ever wondered why ALL organized labor has been connected to the far left?

Does Ford have a choice though?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Does Ford have a choice though?

I don't know if they have a choice or not.

When the current contract expires I think Ford could choose not to renew with union labor. I think this would create many good jobs in the USA and keep fewer jobs going to mexico and china.

Quote:
When the current contract expires I think Ford could choose not to renew with union labor.

The new owners of GM and Chrysler would lean heavily on Ford not to do that.

I hate to say this, but this 50 billion dollar thing will not work for many reasons.

People are obviously upset about this bailout for a company whose sales diminish almost 50% every year.

Even though the American cars are better now too many people got burned by GM building cars that had too many problems. I am seeing people who are retired now who always bought GM cars tell me stories of problems they had with the cars and now they are driving Toyota's and Honda's.

This Chevrolet Volt is supposed to cost $40,000 but I hear you can get a Toyota Prius for $25,000. This Volt can go 40 miles on a charge, in a few years you will have cars that can go 100 miles or more on a charge.

The head of GM was on TV pleading with people to buy there cars, its basically too late, eventually the government will not give them anymore money if they are not selling cars.

I believe this new fuel economy standard for 2016 was a bad idea for Obama to bring up, I talked with the CarQuest guy yesterday and his business is doing well, seems people around my neck of the woods are taking care of there cars. Many people will hold onto there cars until the car companies build more fuel efficient cars or since there is such uncertainty with the economy they are afraid to go out and buy a new car.

GM will be gone in a few years, just like:

1) Packard
2) Studebaker

If GM had voluntarily gone into bankruptcy last December and had gotten rid of the union maybe they would survive, but the end of GM will be coming soon or in a few years, same thing with Chrysler, Ford will be the only one to survive.

GM was good at making money on big cars, but small cars are another story unless you sell alot of them.

This fiasco for GM started with the LT1 that replaced the small block chevy, the parts were very expensive and they had many other problems with this engine. They went on to build these S10 Blazers and pickup trucks with V-6 engines that did not hold up as well as there transmissions. I also believe when GM went to overdrive transmissions and they started building front wheel drive Impala's, Monte Carlo's and some other junk this was leading to there downfall. GM is good at building rear wheel drive V-8 cars, the foreign car companies are great at building small cars.

Quote:
eventually the government will not give them anymore money if they are not selling cars.

It will take at least 4 years...maybe 8.

I agree with another poster here that said the main reason WHY the gov't is providing support to GM is because of the psychological reasons for the US to exist in the first place, that increasingly elusive and rare thing called the Amreican Dream. In 50 years or less there won't be a middle class in the country as we've known it.

It wasn't unions that killed GM, it was terrible management and idiotic, unfair trade agreements like NAFTA, GATT, and WTO.

Quote:
In 50 years or less there won't be a middle class in the country as we've known it.

On the path we are on, there will be only one class. Spread the misery equally.

Quote:
unfair trade agreements like NAFTA, GATT, and WTO.

How strange then that GM is making more money in China and other places than they are here...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tempest

On the path we are on, there will be only one class. Spread the misery equally.

Oh don't worry, there will always be a elite 1% that control 99% of the wealth created by the worker slaves.

Quote:

How strange then that GM is making more money in China and other places than they are here...

Why would that be a surprise? GATT and WTO in China basically allows China to export their cheaply made goods (using slave labor) to the USA with no tariffs added on here, while US goods heading to China face huge tariffs over there.

Considering there are how many billion people over there you do have some people with money but it is still a fairly small number compared to the total population and the overwhelming majority of the Chinese population are lucky if they can afford a bowl of rice and a bicycle let alone any kind of motorized vehicle this doesn't look to change anytime soon either, as most of the people there are not becoming much wealthier they are only moving laterally on the economic ladder, especially since the global economic collapse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back