GM Getting 50 Billion More!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mikered30
We now own 72.5% of Government Motors.

Do you want to buy my share?

I'll start the bidding at one dollar.

My share is for sale too... Make an offer!
grin2.gif

So Obama is now the head of GM, what will he do with the Volt, and is it still on schedule? Just curious, I don't want one, electric rate caps are going to expire soon in PA.

The only thing I have to say is rememeber who destroyed GM in the first place, the fact is that the private sector management destroyed the company, as it did with Chrysler .

I'm not sure how well the tax payer will do trying to rescue either one. HOWEVER if you look back to Chrysler during their 1979 collapse and the gov't rescue, they did quite well and the taxpayer was payed back with interest early. Until about 20 years later when Chrysler's private management and BoD agreed to merge the company with Diamler a horrible move in the long run.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vizzy
The only thing I have to say is rememeber who destroyed GM in the first place, the fact is that the private sector management destroyed the company, as it did with Chrysler .

I'm not sure how well the tax payer will do trying to rescue either one. HOWEVER if you look back to Chrysler during their 1979 collapse and the gov't rescue, they did quite well and the taxpayer was payed back with interest early. Until about 20 years later when Chrysler's private management and BoD agreed to merge the company with Diamler a horrible move in the long run.

True...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Wow, look at all the [censored] people and the "tics"....

This is why most of you guys are not industry insiders.

Most people are sheeple, and they can't remember somthing that happened five minutes ago (last year's idol winner, anyone?)

So if these companies can put of some solid products, (governmant mandated, of course), I don't see them hurting that bad.

You might as well get used to it, as I can see a few other auto comapnies asking for a handout soon...(and P.S, I'm not talking about Ford..)

Then again, the Chinese might be able to buy most of our comapnies in 10 years or so...we'll see.

*puts flamesuit on*
45.gif

You live in Michigan....everybody in Michigan wants free money right now. Yeah, it's OK to charge the next 2 generations of Americans 50 billion for GM & the UAW...yeah sure it is...if you have kids...they will each pay tens of thousands of dollars in their working lifetime for this stunt.

No president wants to be the one that was on watch when the 'great American Institution that is GM' failed and closed up shop. No-one.

Remebers, the baby boomers are still around and just how many of them took family vacations in Dad's Chevy, or hopped up their first car, a Chevy Nova, or had theur first kiss in their folks Oldsmobile sedan.....

This has NOTHING to do with saving the auto industry or making cars. It is about savings people memories of the 'good times' when things are going bad. If the 'good ole' auot industry failed; i think the blow to the America psyche would be just too much for most to bear.

Presiding over a nation where almost everyone has lost hope and gives up is a scary prospect. Obama may be the smartest one in the room in realizing that GM is literally 'too big to fail', for many reasons.

Think about it.

Well he HAS made sure it fails.
06.gif

In a BIG fashion. Throwing 50+ BILLION at it has made sure that people stay far FAR away from Government Motors.

Way too much dictatorship period. All these Czars who have no clue on how to run anything.

Nope, what they should have done is allow market forces and NORMAL bankruptcy to happen.

Then GM could have come back leaner and better. Now with all the debt and "rules" that change in a moment they are toast.

Its funny to see at the very last minute that the Union now whats to change their contacts. Where were they 2 years ago when it could have mattered?

Normal contacts made BEFORE NORMAL bankruptcy would have been useless. But with the new style of bankruptcy with the devil their last minute contacts will be honored.

But people who HAVE INVESTED get thrown to the back of the line.

Sure sets a mindset that new investors want to NEVER invest in ANYTHING in the US due to dictators screwing the laws of business.

GM is just the tip... It WILL get worst for the US now..

I can sum it up in three words..

CLUELESS with egos..

Technically, Bill, you are right. This is not a wise investment.

Psychologically, that point will NEVER be allowed to win.

Sure, maybe no-one will buy the vehicles but the GM name will still be around, BUT you will still have 'good-ole' boys, plugging away in the factory, going home to his little house, driving his Chevy truck...

Propping up the 'middle-class, working man image' is what this is about. If that dies, MOST believe the 'American Dream dies', and no-one can handle that.

This is a very, very expensive exercise in denial. Nothing more.

GM has been reducing payrolls for three decades. Its U.S. employment peaked in 1979 at 618,365, when it was the nation’s largest private employer and auto manufacturing accounted for 4.1 percent of GDP. At the end of this year’s first quarter, autos were 1.5 percent of the economy, and GM had 88,000 U.S. workers.

So is $50bilion about $500k per job? Disgusting!

Originally Posted By: PT1
GM has been reducing payrolls for three decades. Its U.S. employment peaked in 1979 at 618,365, when it was the nation’s largest private employer and auto manufacturing accounted for 4.1 percent of GDP. At the end of this year’s first quarter, autos were 1.5 percent of the economy, and GM had 88,000 U.S. workers.

So is $50bilion about $500k per job? Disgusting!

Everyone back then earned a decent wage and you were able to live on a single income. The cars were cheap/reliable for their time and Management of the company was simple/effective.

Since then all these factors in the equation have changed and GM is in the condition it's in as a result.

Very Disgusting indeed!
smirk2.gif

Is Canada's natioal debt 50 billion?
The national media was hyperventlating over it?
The way the 'B' word is thrown around it is starting to sound like chicken feed.
billion here billion there, after a while dont sound so bad.

Yeah but we are only 1/10th the population of US and have a much smaller GDP than the industrialized section of the US versus Canada so it's big for us IMO.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
No president wants to be the one that was on watch when the 'great American Institution that is GM' failed and closed up shop. No-one.
Remebers, the baby boomers are still around and just how many of them took family vacations in Dad's Chevy, or hopped up their first car, a Chevy Nova, or had theur first kiss in their folks Oldsmobile sedan.....
This has NOTHING to do with saving the auto industry or making cars. It is about savings people memories of the 'good times' when things are going bad. If the 'good ole' auot industry failed; i think the blow to the America psyche would be just too much for most to bear.

Wrong, its about attempting to save a needed manufacturing base.

With just how many jobs have been shed from that 'base' over the last 20-some years, just what are they trying to save?

Some tiny, exclusive, well-paid manufacturing hub that is completely out of touch with the modern business model?

Pretty pricey 'museum' that's becoming!

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Wrong, its about attempting to save a needed manufacturing base.

[censored]!!!!!

Political payback to the leftist labor unions. Nothing more nothing less.

The govt is mandating that more new Buicks come from China but the union sheep don't want to speak about that. They just want to talk about the evil republicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back