GM Engine Oil Supplement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 5.3L with the ole cold-engine tick (lifters/piston slap). I read over at GM-Trucks.Com forum that the zinc in the GM engine oil supplement helps quiet the cold engine ticking.

Is this true? If so, is the GM EOS the best zinc supplement out there to help quiet ticking engines?

I could live with the tic for the rest of the trucks life, but it's a little disconcerting to hear it when you start the engine.

Ed

you're gonna shorten the life of your cat if you use high zinc engine oils. The piston slap is due to short skirt pistons. This has no effect on the engne. It's just what they do.

there is no oil additive that will stop the CSK (cold start knock) in the 5.3. The solution that GM suggests is to run a decarbonator through the engine. SeaFoam seems to be a favorite. GM top engine cleaner will also work. I just ignore it, or turn on the radio.

High zddp oils will not cure piston slap or lifter tick. Piston slap is there forever, as it is a function of cold piston to cylinder wall clearance that is too high. Some people say that thicker oil will quiet it some, but it won't go away. Piston slap and lifter tick do not sound the same, so it is important for you to figure out which it is. Piston slap occurs when the engine is warming up and can be heard more definitely coming from under the car. In the case of my Camaro, it sounds like a fast clack, and hasn't changed much over the 166,000 miles that I have driven it. Lifter ticking occurs more often after the engine is warmed up, but can occur at all times if the lifter has a stuck plunger. Some people mistake fuel injector noise for lifter ticking because the noises are similar.

All great responses guys - much appreciated. It's piston slap - noise/ticking only occurs when engine is cold or has cooled off and goes away after a minute.

Good to know that snakeoil isn't going to fix my issue.
smile.gif
that's why I came here for te real answer.

Cheers

Ed

Originally Posted By: Mr.Fork
I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 5.3L with the ole cold-engine tick (lifters/piston slap). I read over at GM-Trucks.Com forum that the zinc in the GM engine oil supplement helps quiet the cold engine ticking.

Is this true? If so, is the GM EOS the best zinc supplement out there to help quiet ticking engines?

I could live with the tic for the rest of the trucks life, but it's a little disconcerting to hear it when you start the engine.

Ed

Ed,

We own many of this engine family and they are very sensitive to carbon build up. If they have piston slap they will do it warm as they come back to idle after a rev, and cold for less than 30 seconds or so. It does not affect the life or performance of the engine in any way. I have one with 400k + miles and it runs great and uses no oil.

Since it is so easy I recommend either water or Kreen as a decarbon method first if you have many miles.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Mr.Fork

Ed

Ed,

We own many of this engine family and they are very sensitive to carbon build up. If they have piston slap they will do it warm as they come back to idle after a rev, and cold for less than 30 seconds or so. It does not affect the life or performance of the engine in any way. I have one with 400k + miles and it runs great and uses no oil.

Since it is so easy I recommend either water or Kreen as a decarbon method first if you have many miles.
My engine has 240,000km on the odo. 95% of it highway miles as it used to be my field service truck.

I'll try the Kreen if I can find it. Being in Canuckland sometimes its a bit scarce. I usually use SEAFOAM to clean out the engine but it's hard to find around here too.

Cheers and thanks for the tip.

Ed

NP, Ed. Good luck.

Just don't confuse Kreen with the others like seafoam, etc. It really is a unique product. My 400k mile plus GM 6.0 gas motor was getting very noisy on first startup and was quieted down to near new noise levels with just ONE application of Kreen to the gas and oil.

This in an engine that routinely gets MMO put in 2 or 3 days before an oil change!

Is there any major NATIONAL retail chain which carries Kreen on the shelf??

In all of my 56 years on this planet, I have NEVER seen a bottle/can of this elusive stuff!!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

In all of my 56 years on this planet, I have NEVER seen a bottle/can of this elusive stuff!!

None that I'm aware of, but its worth ordering it.

You might be able to find it at an industrial parts supplier. McMaster Carr sells Kroil, but not Kreen

you have to order the stuff from KanoLabs.com

Sucks for you with an older LS series engine in your driveway. Kreen kicks [censored] NOW, not in days or weeks.

Sucks for you with an older LS series engine in your driveway.

Not really, since I've owned it since new, and it's ONLY had relatively short (WAY TOO short according to most on this site) OCIs, after break-in, of either Amsoil SSO 0W-30, or various street Red Line weights, and Mobil 1/K&N Gold/Delco Gold/Amsoil SDF, or EaO oil filters, with constant PCV valve changes, air filter changes/cleanings, and fuel filter over-changes (EVERY single year since new).

I would tend to believe that this Gen 3 powerplant is quite clean inside.

I would just use this stuff if I were going to try a new, much different chemistry oil (like 300V, or MPT 30K, or such), or if the lifters get very noisy and I'm too lazy to change them out.
wink.gif

Easy there. That was a bit harsh, and I didn't mean it like that!

Perhaps with your track use you may be clean, but we have a whole warehouse full of the same basic engine and I have never taken off a cylinder head that didn't have a ton of carbon in it.

And we do the maintenance rather obsessively ourselves. Plus I am a MMO fan for decades, with a quart in the gas tank at least once a month and another in the crankcase a day or two before oil change.

Just one question: Does it start up quiet?

I will answer with another question (NO harshness/animosity meant nor implied whatsoever, just hoping you know the answer
wink.gif
);

HOW does one tell the difference between regular, old, 'by design' early LS1 piston slap/wrist pin play, and carboned-up, sticking rings/ringland noise?????
21.gif

Of course it makes some racket until the pistons and oil are hot (it IS a pre-2005 LSx after all), but it is very slight after that point.

I'll try the Kreen if I can find it. Being in Canuckland sometimes its a bit scarce. I usually use SEAFOAM to clean out the engine but it's hard to find around here too.

Cheers and thanks for the tip.. Seafoam is now readily available in canada see link canadian tire

Easy there. That was a bit harsh, and I didn't mean it like that!

Perhaps with your track use you may be clean, but we have a whole warehouse full of the same basic engine and I have never taken off a cylinder head that didn't have a ton of carbon in it.

And we do the maintenance rather obsessively ourselves. Plus I am a MMO fan for decades, with a quart in the gas tank at least once a month and another in the crankcase a day or two before oil change.

Do you really think MMO for a day or two or three is enough time to work its magic--I say not. Give it a thousand miles or more and the product will work to its full potential. I've been using it since the 70's as well

I will answer with another question (NO harshness/animosity meant nor implied whatsoever, just hoping you know the answer
wink.gif
);

HOW does one tell the difference between regular, old, 'by design' early LS1 piston slap/wrist pin play, and carboned-up, sticking rings/ringland noise?????
21.gif

Of course it makes some racket until the pistons and oil are hot (it IS a pre-2005 LSx after all), but it is very slight after that point.

Here's my take after killing dozens of LS style motors. If it starts up with true piston slap it will disappear in seconds. Worst engine we ever had took a full minute to quiet down. Then it would make a bit of noise if you revved it as the rpms dropped to idle. Otherwise quiet.

My oldest motor had gotten quite noisy at startup. With 400k miles I was planning a rebuild soon. Put 2 cups Kreen in the oil and 2 cups in the gas. I could tell a difference in half an hour! Ran it for a couple days and changed the oil/filter. It now sounds almost like a new motor! Startup noise down by more than 95%!!!

I am not a Kreen salesman. But the stuff works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back