GM Ecotec 1.4L - Wrong Oil Filter Installed by Dealer - Engine Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I've seen some confusing listings where both the regular filter and the R filter come up by VIN in the catalog. What's that even supposed to mean for the parts person? Does it mean the regular E-core filter is okay if you're sold out of metal core Rs? :ROFLMAO:

It took us forever to get UPF63Rs in, and now that we have them, those Camaro's haven't come back.

It would be great if GM could consolidate their filters, oils, and batteries just a little and avoid some of these messes and all the different part numbers we have to keep on hand. Between trying to keep enough lawn mower batteries, Mobil LV ATF HP, PF66, Dexos 2 this, AGM battery that around I go crazy.

Last edited:
It would be great if GM could consolidate their filters, oils, and batteries just a little and avoid some of these messes and all the different part numbers we have to keep on hand. Between trying to keep enough lawn mower batteries, Mobil LV ATF HP, PF66, Dexos 2 this, AGM battery that around I go crazy.
Not gonna lie, Hyundai has spec’d the same filter on it’s spin on applications since the early 2000’s and it’s easy to remember. And I think earlier than that in some engines

This does happen, on Chrysler Hemis the threads for the filter (conventional) were SAE up to a certain year and then changed to a metric thread so you have to be aware of that.
Dodge Neons used to take either the 3/4" PF16 (nearly 19mm) or a 20mm filter that would kinda sorta thread onto the 3/4 stud then blow off later, depending on the engine.

When OP gets the paperwork, it may have the correct part number, but the tech or service writer could have grabbed the wrong filter from the shelf.

Still an inexcusable trap on GM's part. They should prominently label the filter boxes with brown vs black patches to match the cap color.

Last edited:
Dodge Neons used to take either the 3/4" PF16 (nearly 19mm) or a 20mm filter that would kinda sorta thread onto the 3/4 stud then blow off later, depending on the engine.

When OP gets the paperwork, it may have the correct part number, but the tech or service writer could have grabbed the wrong filter from the shelf.

Still an inexcusable trap on GM's part. They should prominently label the filter boxes with brown vs black patches to match the cap color.

Yep. A simple fix sometimes eludes the thinking of the people in charge. Another idea would be a label on the housing telling the user to use the xxx-xx filter for this application.

Not gonna lie, Hyundai has spec’d the same filter on it’s spin on applications since the early 2000’s and it’s easy to remember. And I think earlier than that in some engines
I do wish somehow they could have translated that to cartridge filters.

I know the 3.3 Lambda II V6 in my 2018 Santa Fe uses a different filter than the 3.3 Lambda II V6 in the 2019 Kia Sorento (also different location, the Hyundai is a top access, the Sorento is a bottom access).

I do wish somehow they could have translated that to cartridge filters.

I know the 3.3 Lambda II V6 in my 2018 Santa Fe uses a different filter than the 3.3 Lambda II V6 in the 2019 Kia Sorento (also different location, the Hyundai is a top access, the Sorento is a bottom access).
I agree.

The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act would disagree with you.

Actually, Magnusson-Moss is null and void if the warrantor of the product proves the owner of the product caused the damage. The Act covers the use of aftermarket parts to maintain warranty, but not the actual service/labor involved in installing those parts.

The best evidence you have is the documented service history showing the incorrect filter part # on all of the previous oil changes. That is pretty cut and dry right there.

Update: I called the dealer on Monday and talked to a service advisor. He said he never heard of the GM bulletin regarding the oil filters. I emailed him the bulletin and he called me back and said to bring the car in when we can. We may take the vehicle in to the dealer in the next week or so when my fiancé has off from work on a weekend.

I am mailing a UOA to black-stone tomorrow with a sample of the oil I drained. I figured a UOA may show more engine wear. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the UOA will show? Do oil filters normally capture very small bits of metal or should wear metals technically be high since the filter was in bypass?

In general the metals that show up in a UOA are not the ones that are trapped by the filter. You have to process the oil sample in order to show that, something like an acid digestion.

It is highly unlikely that the UOA will have any value in showing a problem with the filter.

Interesting thread

Some guys have pointed out the Pentastar uses two filters, and it does, but never simultaneously.

However, they did also switch coolants around late 2012/2013 and depending on how you look at them, they're the same colour. One is supposed to be orange and the other purple, but the purple really looks orange when you open the cap and look (sounds crazy but true). I think the theory is that Fiat was using orange OAT, Chrysler was using orange HOAT, and they thought that was too confusing so they dyed the Fiat OAT purple and starting using it, but then the purple went away after being driven for a year or two... lol. So really the only thing to do is completely flush and start fresh.

Update: I called the dealer on Monday and talked to a service advisor. He said he never heard of the GM bulletin regarding the oil filters. I emailed him the bulletin and he called me back and said to bring the car in when we can. We may take the vehicle in to the dealer in the next week or so when my fiancé has off from work on a weekend.

I am mailing a UOA to black-stone tomorrow with a sample of the oil I drained. I figured a UOA may show more engine wear. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the UOA will show? Do oil filters normally capture very small bits of metal or should wear metals technically be high since the filter was in bypass?
I’d keep an ear out for the engine. It seems like the biggest difference between the Hengst and UFI filters is the bypass valve which is IMO magnitudes more important than a ADBV. In this case, the wrong filter can mean not having an oil supply under certain situations.

You have a major problem. Warranty only only covers defect and dealer put wrong filters not a manufacturer defect. GM won't warranty motor since dealer screwed up. If you go to another dealer and they see wrong oil filter listed then it will be declined as they won't get paid. Options are new engine from dealer, sell car, drive it until it quits or have dealer replace vehicle. If you call GM it will get flagged for wrong oil filter. Hopefully dealership or GM will step up to the plate.

As a side note, it’s beyond ridiculous that GM would have two different oil filter systems for the same engine. I know it’s because they had different suppliers depending on which county the engine was assembled but still...

LOL

Seems like SSDD, normal procedure for Gen'ral Motahs. I'll never understand why they are still in business. Do I want a 2021 Suburban or Yukon XL? YES. They are sharp looking. But I know, under that micro-thin sheet metal.....

BEFORE you make a stink...

Huh? The Stink has already happened. The "highly qualified Dealer service department, who knows your vehicle better than anyone", put the wrong filter on. Seems there's plenty of info out there in GM world about using the correct filter for the engine.

Did the dealer not have the VIN of the vehicle while they were doing the oil change?

Huh? The Stink has already happened. The "highly qualified Dealer service department, who knows your vehicle better than anyone", put the wrong filter on. Seems there's plenty of info out there in GM world about using the correct filter for the engine.

Did the dealer not have the VIN of the vehicle while they were doing the oil change?

What part of getting the paper work before they have an opportunity to figure out something is up and alter it is unclear to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back