GM doubled the price of PF47E oil filters?

I was looking today and it seems GM has roughly doubled the price of PF47E oil filters, and Amazon hasn't caught up yet.

I just grabbed some for $4 on Amazon, and they're like $9.67 at Walmart now and nearly $12 at the parts stores.

That seems like, a little much for this sort of filter. Has anyone else seen this on other Delco filters?

Current GM dealer list on PF47 is 8.76 and PF47F (bulk packaged case of 12, not individually boxed filters) is 7.82. Been in that ballpark for quite some time. I wouldnt say GM has increased the price as much as retailers have increased their pricing which they are free to do.

Current GM dealer list on PF47 is 8.76 and PF47F (bulk packaged case of 12, not individually boxed filters) is 7.82. Been in that ballpark for quite some time. I wouldnt say GM has increased the price as much as retailers have increased their pricing which they are free to do.
Fair enough, I guess. It just hit me because Walmart has had these pretty cheap forever, and honestly they're not that different from the cheap Super Tech. I suppose this is possibly a price hike to drive sales of their store brand filter.

At a nearly $10 price point, AC Delco is sort of encroaching on "Premium Oil Filter" territory. Sharing shelf space with the FRAM Synthetic Endurance and the Ultra Synthetic sitting right next to it at Walmart, both of which have metal inner tubes, metal end caps, thicker shells, silicone anti-drainback valve, fully synthetic media, and a thicker gasket.

Not sure how this will affect sales. The thing about the "dealer list price" is amusing though. The Buick dealer near me now wants $100 for an oil change, and Chevy wants $90, and that's assuming your vehicle takes less than 6 qts. Absolutely nobody is going to pay dealer list price at Walmart.

So while they're free to try, they're also not the only game in town as far as oil filters.

We have weird cartridge filters on our cars. Previously $13 at the dealer (much cheaper than the limited aftermarket choices). My last visit they were up to $24.

Dealers here are known to price gouge well over list if you walk in. Can you buy from a reputable online dealer if one exists for GM? I hesitate to buy any consumable product from Amazon for fear of counterfeit.

Walmart Toyota filters are much more expensive than buying online from the local dealer. I guess Walmart needs there mark up too and can't buy from Toyota directly most likely.

I thought it was weird that the cartridge filters were always priced higher than the standard canister filters. In my naivety I assumed they should be priced less because they have less raw material in them. No metal can.

Ran into this video where the guy got some old (32 and 37 year old) PF47s.

So in 37 years, GM has taken all the metal parts (core and end caps) out of the inner part of the filter (replaced with plastic and felt and lots of glue and hopes and dreams), and increased the price nearly five times over.

I guess in a broader sense, it's another example of BLS saying prices have like doubled in 30 years or so and you go "show me literally one thing that I buy that has only doubled".

:/ But an overnight doubling of the cost of an oil filter kind of stunned me. Which is why I bought half a dozen at once from Amazon and if I need more later I'll figure out whose filter I want then.

I thought it was weird that the cartridge filters were always priced higher than the standard canister filters. In my naivety I assumed they should be priced less because they have less raw material in them. No metal can.
FRAM Synthetic Endurance is a ~$13 filter and Walmart exclusive, and they charge about the same whether it's in a disposable can with the gasket, valve, core, and all that, or just a piece of paper for one of those cars I hope I never end up driving.

If I do get a car with one of those, I'm going to definitely do my own oil changes, because it will be really easy for crooks to say they did the filter change and go take a smoke break instead. How would you know when the can is part of the car and you're supposed to change a piece of paper? You can't mark the old one and new one or change the brand on them to just look in there and make sure they did their job.

$3.71 at Rock Auto, $3.43 if you buy by the case plus a 50 cent rebate available.

Those rebates are limited by GM to two filters per household.

Interestingly, back before the stealership doubled the price of an oil change, I took the old Buick over there and let them mess with it. Full synthetic oil change for the same price as Walmart? Sure!

I noticed that GM will give you the 50 cent rebate if you picture the dealership oil change invoice. But then I got a 50 cents prepaid card and had to figure out what to do with it. In the end, the only place that would take it was Amazon to add 50 cents to a gift card. :p

Today, all my GM rebates just got approved. I subscribe and saved two cabin and engine air filters and two oil filters and six spark plugs.

The small rebates are an incentive to stick with OE parts, but really 50 cents on an oil filter doesn't mean much when the stupid thing is built to about the same standards as the <$4 Super Tech and is almost $10 now.

Cheaper on Amazon? Sure, but at what cost to risk of counterfeit?
Shipped from and sold by Amazon.com.

Say it with me. :)

Yeah, don't buy this stuff from third party sellers. You have no idea what you'll get.

Also, be very very skeptical of car parts sold by Amazon Warehouse as "Used-Like New". It wouldn't be that hard for someone to clean their old ignition coils up and send them back and say "I ordered the wrong thing."

Is that really so much worse than having to go into Walmart so that the people picking the order don't hand you an opened box with someone's used oil filter full of dirty motor oil that made it from the returns counter back to the shelf, taped up?

The folks working at Walmart are some special people. A used dirty oil filter that nobody even tried rinsing out makes it past the person at the returns desk, and the guy in the automotive department who tapes it up and puts it back on the shelf. Last time I was in there, I didn't find just one, or two, or three, but 5 taped up boxes full of filters with dirty motor oil. Not all for my car, but I took them all to the counter at the auto section and said "You can't sell these to people. Look at this crap! Someone used all of these and brought them back here with dirty oil in them." and they were like "Oh." and probably put them back out as soon as I left again.

Not only would Sam Walton be spinning in his grave if he saw the people working there today, but he used to be vicious about his pricing strategy. Doubling the price of an oil filter and not caring if the main competitor had them for $4 would not fly back then.

:D

Last edited:
Back