GM cutting 10,000 jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Troubled automaker reducing worldwide salaried staff by 14%, with a third of layoffs coming in U.S.; remaining workers to have their pay cut for 2009.

By Chris Isidore, CNNMoney.com senior writer
Last Updated: February 10, 2009: 3:39 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Motors announced Tuesday it is cutting 10,000 workers, or 14% of its salaried jobs worldwide. A third of those job losses will be in the United States.

The troubled automaker also said it will cut the pay for its remaining U.S. salaried staff.

GM (GM, Fortune 500), which is preparing to present a long-term viability plan to the Treasury Department next week, said the cutbacks are part of the restructuring plan it submitted to Congress on Dec. 2 when it was first asking Washington for federal assistance.

The company said at that time it intended to cut its U.S. staff by between 22% and 33% by 2012.

GM received $9.4 billion in federal loans in order to allow it to stay out of bankruptcy, and expects to receive another $4 billion in federal loans after its Feb. 17 submission to the Treasury Department.

GM said worldwide salaried staff would be cut to 63,000 from 73,000, and that 3,400 of its 29,500 salaried staff in the United States will be affected. This job reduction will not include voluntary buyout offers, however.

Rest at - http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/10/news/companies/gm_staffing/index.htm?postversion=2009021008

the factory workers were offered buyouts of $20k cash and a $25k voucher for a new GM car. I wondered how many took it.

If anyone watched the special on NBC "GM Inside the crisis", you would have seen that GM has too many brands, too many factories, and too many suppliers for the amount of market share they have left and so layoffs are inevitable if they are going to save whats left of the company... If it's even possible at this point.

I think most of their problems are well known. What's not known is what they're going to do about them. Maybe we'll see something next week but I'm doubtful.

I don't doubt they'll get more $$ though.

They have to abide by the logic... "More coming in, than going out". Right now it's reverse... If they don't act quickly to slash expenses this meaning jobs and manufacturing facilities etc. There might not be a company left to salvage...

Actually, they do have more coming in than going out. They just didn't earn it.
grin2.gif

Legacy costs are the big killer. Until they can address those, they are in big trouble. Get rid of those and GM can afford to design and build cars equal or better than foreign.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Unfortunately the people they need to cut is the CEO, CFO and the board of directors.

Yes and no... It's not all Rick Wagoners fault, a lot of the problems that caused GM's demise were long in progress before he came along. To his credit, he has made a lot of things much better at GM but it might be too late. He is working for $1.00 this year which shows he's committed IMO. He could have just left and went on some other company, but he didn't.

GM still has stuff to fix, and while I think the Quality of the current product line up is far better that previously, it still has room for improvement. Their biggest problem they need to solve is Consumer Confidence the outrageous number of employees, suppliers and dealerships they still have given their deflated market share.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Unfortunately the people they need to cut is the CEO, CFO and the board of directors.

GM has a union contract that they can't afford, thanks to the demands that have been placed upon them.

If they file bankruptcy, which they probably will, I want that bailout money back! but if they bankruptcy, they won't have to pay it back. Free GM car for everyone! heck, taxpayers paid them the bailout

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
If they file bankruptcy, which they probably will, I want that bailout money back! but if they bankruptcy, they won't have to pay it back. Free GM car for everyone! heck, taxpayers paid them the bailout

What good is a free car without the LMI gaskets to go with it... Parts won't be available!
LOL.gif
Just kidding!

GM is serious. I got notice of my salary cut yesterday. I'm not too upset, still making a good living and willing to do my part to turn things around. I am just waiting for them to cut the UAW worker's pay too! I'm tired of taking the brunt of the cuts these last several years while the very top mgt and the UAW workers do not. But, the time is now here and they will all feel the pain.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
..... I'm tired of taking the brunt of the cuts these last several years while the very top mgt and the UAW workers do not.

Seems GM is still not learning...

BEEING A GM/UAW employee trust me i have been in 7 different plants in the past 10 years and have been layed off for 7months in the past year and still out now. its not our faults but this in the end will make the company stronger. we can thank the lenders for this big mess. they were giving anyone a house. when i went to get a loan for my house it was not as easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back