GM Crankshaft & Harmonic Balancer Advice

Being upside down financially on an older vehicle doesn't seem to be a consideration with many BITOGERS self included. The only crankshaft repair I would do would be to set the crank in a lathe and drill and tap accurately.
Well if he's gonna take it out wouldn't it be better to just put a new one in?

I'm trying picture this in my head. There is just one big bolt holding the balancer on, right? Maybe an M20 with a 30 mm socket?
1) How is it possible to break that off?
2) If he drilled it out and got the new bolt crooked, how is it making awful noise. Is the balancer scraping on something?
3) Can't you remove that bolt, retap the hole and start over, carefully installing a new bolt?
1. Steering wheel puller.
2. Wobbling and scraping.
3. That's what the mechanic wants to do.....but if that fails? He says success isn't guaranteed but he's had 85% luck. If he's going down to the head gasket should i just have him go down to the crankshaft and swap it out?

Yes 1 bolt holding it on.

You can get another engine for much less. You can buy another 3100, upgrade to the 3400 or the newer 3500/3900 high value engines, and of course the 3800 (though it is 90 degrees rather than 60), but it came on the Regal, both NA and supercharged.

There are so many better options than the job you want to do
Autozone has engines for 2 grand to 2800. Would those be trustworthy? Nutech and Dahmer. Don't know if he'd agree to do that.

It's too bad you have money already spent. Add everything up and it meets or exceeds the value of your Buick. I wouldn't put $3400 into your 2003 century for a crank replacement/overhaul.. If it wasn't for the headgasket issue I would have taken my chance with the weld and retap gamble. Previous overheats may have already taken some life out of your engine.I would seek out a junkyard engine where you would be given a 30 day warranty, otherwise I would cut my losses and find another used vehicle.
Those transmissions were not known for their longevity. It would be a shame to put so much money into it to have the transmission fail six months later.

Last edited:
It's too bad you have money already spent. Add everything up and it meets or exceeds the value of your Buick. I wouldn't put $3400 into your 2003 century for a crank replacement/overhaul.. If it wasn't for the headgasket issue I would have taken my chance with the weld and retap gamble. Previous overheats may have already taken some life out of your engine.I would seek out a junkyard engine where you would be given a 30 day warranty, otherwise I would cut my losses and find another used vehicle.
Those transmissions were not known for their longevity. It would be a shame to put so much money into it to have the transmission fail six months later.
Never really over heated. Got 3/4 the way up the gauge and then i shut it off. Did that three times total then kept replacing cooling system components....... Once i would see it go a line over the mark on halfway the gauge Id shut it off and go replace another cooling system component.
Agree regarding the transmission.
Idk i would have normally scrapped it but the mechanic says it runs and sounds really good and would be worth saving.

Ah wasn't left loose and ran a bunch. Before other mechanic got sick he did the work broke the bolt and put it in crooked and used a wrong sized bolt. Yes i am aware but it's cheaper than a new car....in California so yeah prices are sky high here.
So, not a tech you say.

That much is clear from this major screw up.

If he’s a friend then, I am surprised he’s leaving you hanging with the damage that he’s done.

Your best way out of this, with a buggered crank snout, is the used engine. It will have a good set of head gaskets and you can use your new mounts.

I just spent $3969.28 on a 4t65e transmission rebuild for my daughter's 04 Lesabre with 182K on the odometer. This car has been in my (BITOG) care since purchased in 2010 with 27,152 miles on it. The engine burns/leaks nothing, the P/S turns like butter, the A/C and heat work well, numerous window regulator replacements, wheel bearings, brake pads, radiator, etc., but EVERYTHING on that car functions. Yes, I know, the car is worth maybe $2500-$3000....But in today's market, it would take me in excess of $10K to REPLACE the dependability I know and trust in this car, so the repair was worth it TO ME. I also participate in a face book page for Lesabre fans https://www.facebook.com/groups/148514530744628 and I've seen odometer pictures of 3,4,5-600K on 3800 engines.
You may be in a similar situation.

I just spent $3969.28 on a 4t65e transmission rebuild for my daughter's 04 Lesabre with 182K on the odometer. This car has been in my (BITOG) care since purchased in 2010 with 27,152 miles on it. The engine burns/leaks nothing, the P/S turns like butter, the A/C and heat work well, numerous window regulator replacements, wheel bearings, brake pads, radiator, etc., but EVERYTHING on that car functions. Yes, I know, the car is worth maybe $2500-$3000....But in today's market, it would take me in excess of $10K to REPLACE the dependability I know and trust in this car, so the repair was worth it TO ME. I also participate in a face book page for Lesabre fans https://www.facebook.com/groups/148514530744628 and I've seen odometer pictures of 3,4,5-600K on 3800 engines.
You may be in a similar situation.
As long as you are happy with your decision, that's all that matters.

If your wanting to save the original engine then I would start off with the $400 crankshaft repair. If it works do both the head gaskets. If not I would get a GM engine for $3000 you said it costs plus install.

Personally I would just go for the GM engine as I don’t see the crankshaft repair working out and the head gasket repair ends up near the same cost.

Here is one with 57K on it for $725 + freight (200-300 I would guess). Have it delivered to the guy so he can install it. Repairing the crank is asking for trouble IMO, it would be no surprise if the bottom end started making noise in a short time and you get to start all over.
IMO stop the bleeding now.

Here is one with 57K on it for $725 + freight (200-300 I would guess). Have it delivered to the guy so he can install it. Repairing the crank is asking for trouble IMO, it would be no surprise if the bottom end started making noise in a short time and you get to start all over.
IMO stop the bleeding now.

You could also for the price of this one do a gasket set while it’s out so you don’t have the higher labour repair costs of a head gasket failure further down the road.

Back