GM 6.2L - Failure

have a 2010 Denali 6.2L that just failed. got low oil pressure and checked the oil and it was about 3-4 qts low!!

Motor sounds fine, but oil had shavings in it and shop says motor has to be swapped. would try to run for a little while and see what happens but worried we will trash the block and wont have it for a core charge

Maybe has around 135-140K on it. Had the lifters and VLOM replaced at dealer around 90K and motor has been fine since.

oil pressure is sometimes only showing 5 at idle and only maybe 20 while driving, but then is going to 40 occasionally.

any thought son what failed or if it is even worth trying to rebuild?

The fact that the pressure fluctuates makes me have to wonder if the oil pump somehow got loose somehow. If it was trashed, I dont know how it would occastionally go higher, though I dont know what conditions youre speaking of either (often colder oil goes higher than hot, that is normal, especially at idle).

If the pump was trashed Id think it would never go that high.

How much is the core worth? It seems like a risk - sending good money after bad if you dive into it, or driving until it gets worse.

have a 2010 Denali 6.2L that just failed. got low oil pressure and checked the oil and it was about 3-4 qts low!!

Motor sounds fine, but oil had shavings in it and shop says motor has to be swapped. would try to run for a little while and see what happens but worried we will trash the block and wont have it for a core charge

Maybe has around 135-140K on it. Had the lifters and VLOM replaced at dealer around 90K and motor has been fine since.

oil pressure is sometimes only showing 5 at idle and only maybe 20 while driving, but then is going to 40 occasionally.

Look at the price of new trucks-then decide if you want to rebuild or get a crate motor. I'm guessing to replace your truck you are looking at a MSRP around $70,000-less your trade in and any discounts at the dealer and factory level.

I wish that more mfrs would include an oil level monitor. It's easy to become comfortable when an engine does not consume oil; and then suddenly consumption increases. It happened to my brother on his Odyssee; and us on a SeaDoo.
I'm guessing that on your the consumption increased, and that was the final straw. Certainly it's worth a new engine - which it sounds like you will do. In the future, just check oil on every fuel fill.

it failed because you did not check the oil,

the metal shavings are the bearings, if you continue to use the engine it will likely toss a rod through the side of the block, or the cam may walk in the block

How was oil/filter changed over the miles? I would say 5 psi oil pressure even at idle does not protect the engine, it's right on the verge of the oil light coming on. It is possible to wear out an engine in 135k miles. Of course another option is to trade it in on something similar maybe even newer, since it runs ok. Don't know about the guilt aspect of it.

maybe 5-6k since last oil change. Never used any significant amount of oil prior. Had always change own oil and always took out about the same amount that went in

I sold this truck about 7 months ago to family member and seemed to be running perfect. They just had this happen out of no where, and yes I am sure the low oil did it in , but why did all of the sudden it start using that much oil

I had my oil run low on my 2006 tahoe 5.3 one time using a oil I will not run again but anyways about 1.5 to 2 quarts low I got a low oil message.
No other oil has dropped like that, I ran there maxlife line without a problem after.
No idea how you got that low without a oil light or meassage. 5.3, 6.2 same manufacturer

I wish that more mfrs would include an oil level monitor. It's easy to become comfortable when an engine does not consume oil; and then suddenly consumption increases. It happened to my brother on his Odyssee; and us on a SeaDoo.
I'm guessing that on your the consumption increased, and that was the final straw. Certainly it's worth a new engine - which it sounds like you will do. In the future, just check oil on every fuel fill.
At least a light when it gets 2 qts low.

Wondering if there is any hope that just the cam and lifter system could be replaced I r if the whole motor is shot?
Looking at a GM replacement motor now

I had my oil run low on my 2006 tahoe 5.3 one time using a oil I will not run again but anyways about 1.5 to 2 quarts low I got a low oil message.
No other oil has dropped like that, I ran there maxlife line without a problem after.
No idea how you got that low without a oil light or meassage. 5.3, 6.2 same manufacturer
GM did away with the oil level switch on the GMT900 platform in 2008.

Wondering if there is any hope that just the cam and lifter system could be replaced I r if the whole motor is shot?
Looking at a GM replacement motor now

You most likely have a L94 6.2L with AFM, I bought a reman 2009 4.8L from my local Chevy dealer yesterday & they had a $1,500 off promotion going......Call your local dealer GM dealer armed the the last 8 of the VIN & see if they can beat this price HERE

You most likely have a L94 6.2L with AFM, I bought a reman 2009 4.8L from my local Chevy dealer yesterday & they had a $1,500 off promotion going......Call your local dealer GM dealer armed the the last 8 of the VIN & see if they can beat this price HERE

that looks like a really good price

and yes this was an Afm motor. We had afm turned off with a tuner

3-4qts down? HOW?
Something gave out. Maybe it cracked a ring? My father had a V6 that "suddenly" started drinking oil overnight. This was back in the days of 3k OCI's. Maybe we were not checking oil every 1k, but that engine decided overnight to be an oil burner.

I don't check my oil at every gas fillup, not sure who does. Leaves us prone to any sudden change.

Back