GM 6.2L - Failure

You are in SC, so rust is not an issue. From my perspective, that is a very valuable truck yet. If it were me, I'd buy a reman engine.

All vehicles come with an oil level monitor, the dipstick. My research shows this engine has an oil capacity of 6 quarts and you can't expect it to last when it's 3 or more quarts low. That's abuse, or neglect, depending on your perspective. *Maybe* if it had a capacity of 8 or more quarts, you would be OK. But you'd still be putting the motor at risk.
If your budget is such that losing a core charge is a concern, swap it now. If an engine doesn't leak or consume oil, it's reasonable to check the level every other fillup. But if your engine does leak or consume oil, obviously you must check the level more often and top off as needed.

I’ve used this XADO stuff as a “Hail Mary” fix on a failing automatic transmission before. It actually worked (got over 45k more miles before the car was junked for other reasons). This is their engine version. Maybe worth it as a last ditch try?

I linked the 10 quart oil capacity one since based on reviews if you have a large motor and it’s kind of bad you probably need more. There’s also a 45 liter oil sump total amount intended for big rig diesels for $130 if you want to buy it in “bulk”.

This is how it works according to the manufacturer

All vehicles come with an oil level monitor, the dipstick. My research shows this engine has an oil capacity of 6 quarts and you can't expect it to last when it's 3 or more quarts low. That's abuse, or neglect, depending on your perspective. *Maybe* if it had a capacity of 8 or more quarts, you would be OK. But you'd still be putting the motor at risk.
If your budget is such that losing a core charge is a concern, swap it now. If an engine doesn't leak or consume oil, it's reasonable to check the level every other fillup. But if your engine does leak or consume oil, obviously you must check the level more often and top off as needed.
Cars should have an audible alarm if they get even 15% low or if they have a check engine light. Almost none do. That’s defective by design IMO.

At that low of a level, the oil pressure light will come on, even if inconsistently, i would suggest at this point that the new family owner ignored/didn't notice it and kept driving.

Something gave out. Maybe it cracked a ring? My father had a V6 that "suddenly" started drinking oil overnight. This was back in the days of 3k OCI's. Maybe we were not checking oil every 1k, but that engine decided overnight to be an oil burner.

I don't check my oil at every gas fillup, not sure who does. Leaves us prone to any sudden change.
Starting to think those oil level sensors on BMW are not such bad idea.
Still, 3-4qt is dramatic decrease.

Crazy they got rid of the low oil light. My 2005 has it and the 2002 Sierra my work had before also did. They go off around 1.5-2qts low like someone else above said.

I wouldn't take a chance on the existing engine. Put a used one in and delete the AFM same as the old engine (should be able to use those parts still?)

New crate engine being installed this week

This has been an expensive Truck. Spent 5k with dealer @ 90,000 miles to rebuild top end due to the afm/dod issue. Thought that would be the end of it. Now another 8k to replace motor at 140,000 miles

Looking back probably should have never let dealer do the rebuild and found and independent shop that could have done the complete delete

Starting to think those oil level sensors on BMW are not such bad idea.
Still, 3-4qt is dramatic decrease.
IMO the Asian makers should have made it standard equipment--for a few years all of them were known for making oil-drinkers. For a $1.50 or whatever they could have had a cheap bandaid "fix" for that issue.

Wife's '16 Camry has a low oil warning separate from OLM. So when I see it, I check the oil. Usually a pint low. On the 528e it was a qt..

Seems like it’s a good idea to at least check every 500 miles on an engine with some mileage on it, to get an idea how much oil it uses. Considering the reported difficulties with the AFM system, wouldn’t be surprised if the high oil consumption is related to AFM somehow.

My boss has a Denali Yukon. Lost the engine around 100k. If I recall it was a cam/lifter problem and it sent metal through the engine, so the mechanic said he could replace the parts but not warranty the work because of the unknown “what else”. Boss bought a Jasper reman, which also failed but was warranty-honored without question.
m

Those AFM GM engines those years would wear out after 100k you got good life out that original motor
I don't know about that. They are known for failure, but my friend/co-worker has 250k+ on his, it uses some oil (after several months towing above its max rating when their super duty broke down) and it got ran very low on oil, but no issues with the cam/lifters or AFM. It's a 2010 5.3.

IMO the Asian makers should have made it standard equipment--for a few years all of them were known for making oil-drinkers. For a $1.50 or whatever they could have had a cheap bandaid "fix" for that issue.

My Subaru has a low oil light. From what I hear, I must have the only FB25 engine that doesn't burn oil! I still keep a few quarts on me in case it decides it wants to start burning oil.

Back