GM 5.3L stopped ticking/slapping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier this week I changed the oil in my 1999 Silverado 5.3L, out came M1 5W30 and in went M1 0W30 (AFE). Since I've owned the truck it has ticked anytime the temperature dropped below 60 degrees and it was a cold start. Well well well...for the last two days it has been 40 degrees in the AM hours and to my surprise the ticking is GONE, can't believe it is really gone. In speaking with mechanics, friends and others, all have told me to use a thicker oil to stop the ticking and I've been to chicken to give it a shot. What is your experience, has anyone else experienced this? I can't stop smiling!!

Last edited:
Some engines just randomly stop making noise. My Jeep's engine will stop knocking after extended high RPM operation or when it gets reallllly hot.

Then it's quiet for 3 or 4 days and starts again.

Oils are different. Even within an API group (say SN) and of the same rated viscosity. So engines react in different ways. Noise being one of them.

I always like to use an oil that makes the engine quite. I do not like click, clacking, knocking, etc. To me, that';s just parts hitting each other... Maybe not hard enough to do damage as long as they have an oil film, but why do it at all if you don't have to
confused.gif

Glad you found an oil that does it for your motor. Good on you
smile.gif

So went the story about M1 5w-30 AFE but what about the M1 0w-20 AFE or on a side subject, PP 0w-20? Do you think you could go ultra energy conserving and still get the protection of a 30 weight? Right now, I am torn with two things. 1 Should I go 0w-30 or 0w-20 from 5w-30 just to see if I can get something significant or a game changer like better FE or in this case which is quietness which is a characteristic and trait I desire in oil. Right now, I am all over the place between conventional PYB to status quo of GP IV Valvoline full syn and Castrol Edge with the Euro certs.

Last edited:
I always go for quiet over other things. The 0.001 MPG you might get by lowering the oil viscosity is insignificant. One day of headwind will negate that. But having to listen to ticks and rattles will go on day after day ...

I recently changed to Pennz PP 5-30 in my '04 Rainier 5.3 (aluminum block) with the result that the piston slapping is heard all the time now even after warmup. Annoying, and like others, I'm always hoping it does no harm. I had been using Motul 5-40 before with fair results (still noisy cold). I'm going to dump the PP and try some RL 0-40 (HTHSv 4.0) that I still have on hand. I have to believe that oil film strength has more to do with quieting than do additives. We'll see.

Isn't the 0W-30 M1 AFE's HTHSV actually a little higher than the regular M1 5W-30's HTHSV (even though this seems contrary to most 0Wxx's behavior, save for the old GC 0W-30's high, Euro 3.5 HTHSV)??
21.gif

I get the same condition from my 08' Impala SS with the transverse 5.3 engine as well. Although I use Mobil 1 5WX30 I just assumed that was the way it is and my car is garaged!!

Perhaps I should try going back to the GM conventional??? It's considered to be a blend.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back