Silverado 5.3L tick on startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 Silverado and it has ticked upon startup in cold weather since I have pretty much owned it.

I have tried, PP, Mobil 1, and even God's choice Amsoil SS. All the oils had that 10-15 second tick upon startup.

I recently changed my oil using Mobil 1 5W-30 EP and the tick has been gone ever since. A few weeks ago is was ~6F and the engine stared up with no tick.

Glad to see you found an oil your truck likes.

I have used Pennzoil High Mileage for the 4 years I've had my jeep and no matter what temperature always had cold start lifter tick. I figured it was my lifters were really bad.

Then I decided to try some different oils just to see if it improved. Switched to m1 HM 10w30 and the cold start lifter ticking went completely away after the first 1500 or so miles. I thought maybe it just cleaned up gunk or something so after it I switched back to PHM and sure enough the cold start lifter tick came back. Switched to this current full of M1 HM 5w30 and it is completely gone again.

It's certainly amusing.

Wow...nice job fixing it with oil. The tick is generally considered a design flaw with the 5.3 requiring lifer removal to repair. If you look on youtube there are step by step videos to fix the issue. If i remember its due to sludge or varnish collecting...cant remember...havnt done one in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back