GM 2.4L DI vs VW 2.0 TSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a motor oil perspective is either of these engines better than the other. My take from reading the threads I can find is than any direct injection engine is likely to have fuel dilution and deposit problems, but it seems to be the way of the manufacturers today. I'm looking at a couple cars with these engines and just wondered what the considered opinion of BITOG might be. If short OCI with high end synthetics is the answer, I'll probably look for something different.

Last edited:
i'm not convinced that the DI engines have the kinks worked out, intake valve deposits are a problem , and if you keep your vehicles several hundred thousand miles, its gonna be a problem. If you are going to lease it and turn it in then go for a DI engine.

+1

Some guys on the Subie forums can't wait for a DI turbo Subie for the WRX or STI, but I'm not one of them. However, if I was a leaser, I'd be taking advantage of the better DI mpg's and power for sure.

I have a TSI. After reading threads like yourself on here about DI engines. I replaced the factory fill with Redline 5W-40. I will be doing 6 month OCI'. I drive 90% city, and I live only 4.2 miles from work. The few guys that have used Redline 5W-40 on here in their VW DI engines, seem to like it. It has kept its flashpoint retention with the fuel dilution. It stays in grade also.

Direct Injection is a huge problem. Look at these pics of my car's (well, not mine mine) intake valves at just 20k miles. This guy even used an Oil Catch Can since 12k and Seafoamed it twice along the way.

20614d1285524238-20k-[censored]-up-these-valves-imag0158.jpg

20615d1285524238-20k-[censored]-up-these-valves-imag0160.jpg

20616d1285524238-20k-[censored]-up-these-valves-imag0161.jpg

Last edited:
I have a new TSI and the performance is so good I don't care about deposits. If I have a issue, I'll clean it and try a catch can and intake misting.

20tsi_trans_s1_93_engine.gif

20tfsivl_long_s0_vs_s1_93_cc.gif

Originally Posted By: WagonBoss
...If short OCI with high end synthetics is the answer...

We'll likely see most cars as DI in the future as manufacturers need to squeeze more power from smaller displacement.

I don't think it would be accurate to say that short OCI's with high end synthetics are the answer to the valve deposit problem, although it may be part of the answer. As long as crankcase gases are recirculated to valves which are not washed with fuel, the intake deposit issue will exist.

It can be mitigated perhaps by using an oil with fewer and/or higher quality viscosity modifiers but that would likely only go part way to solve the problem (but we lack lots of hard data to say for sure). We know that long-chain viscosity modifiers, when they break down become volatile (I have been told volatility can be similar to gasoline) which means they can be easily evacuated to the intake valves via the pcv system. So an oil that is more shear stable, with less/better VIIs would likely help.

Also it's an interesting paradox that the only agent available to "clean" the valves are the components available in evacuated cranckase "gases" such as water, fuel, and oil. Yet the contaminants in the gases are the very things doing the depositing.

ah, here is my thread. Apologies for posting in the wrong section.

I appreciate the comments. I am not well versed in the design and function of direct injection and susceptible to "fear of something new." I'm starting to read more about the issue. But it seems initially that far more than motor oil is required to combat the issue (my initial impression - hence the original question) such as fuel quality and engine software controls.

I think the responses have given me pause. I'm used to picking new vehicles based on general durability of the mechanicals and, since being on BITOG, picking one that has some flexibility on lubrication choices. I certainly don't want to have to do an induction cleaning every 15k.

As many have said it seems to be the wave of the future. I need to watch the developments over the next several years before jumping into this new technology.

Those curves look pretty good. I can't imagine a 2.0 4 cylinder with 330 ft-lbs of torque right off idle. That's diesel territory.

Might be worth the risk of extra maintenance.

My A4 certainly would have been more fun with that engine.

It's a blast. The Tiguan weighs about the same as an A3. The 6M combo was great for me considering the price, $21k w/0%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back