GM 2.0T vacuum pump carnage plus some heavy varnish

wwillson

Staff member
This engine was sitting on the floor at my friend's shop. The CEL (check engine light) was on for a long time before they noticed some strange noises and rough running. The vacuum pump had failed, which triggered the CEL, but they ignored it for a few weeks. Bad mistake. The vacuum pump finally grenaded, which ruined the cam, caused the cam to slip timing, and ruined the motor. My friend does quite a few of these GM vacuum pumps, as they are a bad design and tend to fail. The owner ordered a new engine from GM, which was way expensive. The job with the new motor and labor is $9k. The owner also neglected doing oil changes and you can see lots of varnish and some sludge. The last picture is a shot down the intake running looking at the build-up on the intake valves, this is a direct injection engine. This much build-up in 70,000 miles.

In the next bay over was a Honda Odyssey, which was sludged badly and was using oil, lots of oil. Another victim of the owner neglecting to do oil changes.

IMG_2161.JPG

IMG_2162.JPG

IMG_2163.JPG

IMG_2164.JPG

IMG_2166.JPG

IMG_2166.JPG

End of camshaft that drives the vacuum pump
IMG_2167.JPG

IMG_2168.JPG

IMG_2169.JPG

IMG_2172.JPG

Last edited:
I was about to comment that I don’t see how they could have ignored it too long, CEL or not, that would affect the brakes. Looking at the pics made me come to my senses and realize that the owner didn’t have a problem with ignoring things. 🙄

I’ve even harped to my enemies that even taking your car to Jiffy Lube is still vastly better than doing nothing.

And now, I can see why Toyota wants the vacuum pump replaced every 60K on the 2GR-FKS 3.5L GDI V6 and possibly the new A25A-FKS/M20A-FKS in the new CorCamRAV and the V35A-FTS in the new Tundra/Sequoia/Lexus LS500 and LX600.

You spend your hard earned cash on an expensive car, then you proceed to kill it. All you had to do was drive trhough Jiffy Lube or bring it over to me for a lousy oil change service. Sheesh.
In the Bay Area, I would have told them to get a bus pass for AC Transit/Muni/VTA or UberOne/Lyft Ride Pass or a gift card to Mike’s Bikes and tell them you should never own a car again.

In the Bay Area, I would have told them to get a bus pass for AC Transit/Muni/VTA or UberOne/Lyft Ride Pass or a gift card to Mike’s Bikes and tell them you should never own a car again.
Mikes Bikes is too expensive. Buy a Tesla instead.

I’ve even harped to my enemies that even taking your car to Jiffy Lube is still vastly better than doing nothing.

And now, I can see why Toyota wants the vacuum pump replaced every 60K on the 2GR-FKS 3.5L GDI V6 and possibly the new A25A-FKS/M20A-FKS in the new CorCamRAV and the V35A-FTS in the new Tundra/Sequoia/Lexus LS500 and LX600.

Manufacturers did everything to get away from vacuum pumps on diesels.....It's like they forgot how unreliable they are?

The average person has absolutely no clue as to why a knowledgeable person does maintenance the way they do. I see it just the way the tech school grads we picked up work in my shop. They have to be taught everything up to and including how to correctly use the tools they are issued. This isn’t because of lack of intelligence. They weren’t exposed to maintenance work as they grew up as all of us country kids were. I was a 3000 mi oil change guy because my dad taught me how to do it, along with points, plugs, and an occasional tire change. You also knew WHY you do the work.

I have done a few of those vac pumps as well. They are also on the 1.5T motors. Terrible design. I just replaced a 1.5T motor with a new reman from Autozone (NuTech motor) with a 4yr warranty. It was 3299 my shop price vs a used 90k mile LKQ motor for 3100.

Back