GM 1.5T pictures with valve and front covers off - failed vacuum pump and tons of varnish

At this moment….I’m scared spitless! My wife acquired a low mileage “31,700“ 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP with the Ecotec 2.0T back in February. I’m using Mobil1 5w30 ESP and it just rolled over 33,000 miles. I’m planning on 3,000 to 4,000 mile OCI but now I’m second guessing myself (seems typical for Bitog members) as far as oil choice. From what research I’ve done the big no/no is not to lug these small DI engines. As soon as I feel the engine starting to lug ( the main cause of LSPI )I shift into a lower gear in hopes of keeping the rpm’s in the sweet spot in an attempt to keep the intake valves and oil rings free of carbon deposits, which seem to be a big problem in the turbo Ecotec engines. I’ve considered putting a qt of HPL cleaner in for one OCI then maybe switching to HPL oil altogether for added cleaning ability. Now I need to research the vacuum pump problems with the Ecotec engines……..! :unsure: 😳 As far as the varnish pictured here, doesn’t bother me one bit! Sludge would keep me up at night!

Last edited:
I'm glad you mentioned that-I have been half looking at a decent (appearing) HHR to replace the xB in my sig-but it has 161K on it, and the dreaded Ecotec 2.2 with ORIGINAL chains & water pump. Guessing having the L61 makes it a time bomb waiting to go off...
While I disagree with the timing chain oiling on the L61, they are actually really good engines. Especially the later ones.

At this moment….I’m scared spitless! My wife acquired a low mileage “31,700“ 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP with the Ecotec 2.0T back in February. I’m using Mobil1 5w30 ESP and it just rolled over 33,000 miles. I’m planning on 3,000 to 4,000 mile OCI but now I’m second guessing myself (seems typical for Bitog members) as far as oil choice. From what research I’ve done the big no/no is not to lug these small DI engines. As soon as I feel the engine starting to lug ( the main cause of LSPI )I shift into a lower gear in hopes of keeping the rpm’s in the sweet spot in an attempt to keep the intake valves and oil rings free of carbon deposits, which seem to be a big problem in the turbo Ecotec engines. I’ve considered putting a qt of HPL cleaner in for one OCI then maybe switching to HPL oil altogether for added cleaning ability. Now I need to research the vacuum pump problems with the Ecotec engines……..! :unsure: 😳 As far as the varnish pictured here, doesn’t bother me one bit! Sludge would keep me up at night!
I wouldn’t worry a bit about your oil choice.

That honestly doesn't look so bad.
The owner might be well advised to use a higher quality oil on more conservative drain intervals, but there is nothing in those photos which looks like impending doom to me.

That honestly doesn't look so bad.
The owner might be well advised to use a higher quality oil on more conservative drain intervals, but there is nothing in those photos which looks like impending doom to me.
Other than the failed vacuum pump that destroyed the cam along with it…

It doesn’t look too bad otherwise, but I wouldn’t be a fan of this motor if it were in one of my cars.

Yeah, and maybe if the vacuum pump failure is typical this is something GM should be offering extended warranty on?
I wouldn't be too worried about the varnish.

I don't see anything to get all excited about. Varnish yes, but no troublesome amount of true sludge that I can see.
We see many folks with much the same position, a little varnish won't hurt a thing.

However, nothing could be farther from the truth. That level of varnish is indicative of NOT MEETING THE ENGINE's REQUIREMENTS. There is no question the piston rings will be severely carboned up, and piston undersides, oil ring drain holes are severely affected. The turbocharger hot side will have significant coking and the timing chain and guides will have excess wear.

The sad part is, UOA results will likely be fine, and people will say the engine is wearing normally.

Bottom line, if you want an early, and possibly expensive set of problems that may include a failed turbo and excessive oil consumption, coupled with timing chain failure, this is exactly how to accomplish that. Specifically, use low quality oil and change it infrequently.

Nor can that be effectively dissolved, and the problem resolved with the subsequent use of a quality oil.

Here is a fellow BITOG member's engine with 185K miles, he used synthetic, mostly M1 and reasonable OCI's. The M1 did not prevent the common head gasket failure. But it did keep his engine healthy.

usTiaU5.jpg

Last edited:
Yes that is varnish and it's not good. No mention of oil type or OCI. But we all have seen much much worse, and then engine was running OK.

The problem is sometimes people think yellow stains or other color on metal = varnish.

Back