GL-4 75W-80 PSA Standard B71 2315 vs B71 2330

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

What is the difference between the two gear oils, i.e. PSA Standard B71 2315 vs B71 2330? Both are GL-4 75W-80, required for my 406 HDi. But they meet different norms and I can't find which one is more suitable for my transmission.

At the moment the box is filled with this oil:
http://www.lubs-products-database.total.com/gallery/ORIGINALS/visuels/23500/23664

And this is the alternative I am considering:
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-getriebeoel-psa-sae-75w-80.html

Thanks,

From the above descriptions looks like both oils would be OK.

Google

1) PSA B71 2315.......and you will get results for MT gearoils.....GL4 etc

2) PSA B71 2330.......and you will get results for gearoils with GL4+ MIL-2105D...etc specs....thats more like GL5 oil.....as described above....MORE suited for transaxles...

Most probably ( IF you read MolaKules topics) GL5 fluid will not shift properly in any MT!!!!

Did you know there was also a FuelEfficient B71 2310 category? Factory Fill and "backward compatible"...
https://www.mobil.com/English-FI/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/EUXXMobil-Gear-Oil-FE-75W

Looks like B71 2315 is B71 2330 viscosity-wise with better base oils.

XOM is the FF supplier now and if you bought the oil from the dealer it would be Mobil Gear oil 75w-80 or FE 75w in the typical Mobil Bottle (the price at the dealer might be lower than the parts store's...yep.Check there first).

I do not think Ravenol is officially PSA certified.

So:
B71 2330 - Mobil Gear oil 75w-80* ; Total Transmission BV 75w-80** (newer TRANSMISSION GEAR 8 75W-80) ; Shell SF 5288**

B71 2315 - Shell Spirax S4 G 75W-80**

B71 2310 - Mobil Gear oil FE 75w*

* Factory -Fill with official approval and commercially available nowadays.
**Approved and commercially available . Have been used as FF and/or service oil thru the years.
I would not hesitate using any of the above products.

In older gearboxes I'd stick to 75w-80 (B71 2315 or B71 2330) viscosity and change @ 60 K km.

P.S All these have been API GL-4+ oils. Sometimes the vendor will list them as either GL-4 or GL-5 in the PDS ...or just omit the API rating(as is irrelevant. The only spec that matters in this case in the PSA approval).
Offtopic -Similar thing can be seen with ELF gear oils for Renault vehicles(Listed either GL-4 or 5 ).And there are multiple 75w-80 oils with probably different friction characteristics for the various Renault gearboxes (can't just get any ELF 75w-80 and use it...).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rollins

P.S All these have been API GL-4+ oils. Sometimes the vendor will list them as either GL-4 or GL-5 in the PDS ...or just omit the API rating(as is irrelevant. The only spec that matters in this case in the PSA approval).
Offtopic -Similar thing can be seen with ELF gear oils for Renault vehicles(Listed either GL-4 or 5 ).And there are multiple 75w-80 oils with probably different friction characteristics for the various Renault gearboxes (can't just get any ELF 75w-80 and use it...).

Actually the Mobil website lists Mobil Gear 75w80 as specifically GL-4 only.

Thanks for your comments.

It looks like a B71 2315 oil would be just as good as a 2330 oil. There is good availability of the Total Gear 8 oil, but I thought I would try something else, so I am looking at the Ravenol product as I have good experience with their engine oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back