Giving All Weather's a try....

Well our first experience with Discount Tire was fantastic. I can see now why they are so popular.

The Assurance WeatherReady's look good and so far seem fine. We're getting actual snow in two days so I'll find out soon if they offer any advantage over a good all season.

Well our first experience with Discount Tire was fantastic. I can see now why they are so popular.

The Assurance WeatherReady's look good and so far seem fine. We're getting actual snow in two days so I'll find out soon if they offer any advantage over a good all season.
interesting keep us posted! It would seem a design can be really fine tuned and refined as much as desired. Do we really need full blown snows in the mid Atlantic, where we suffer in rain and when no snow falls, i.e. clearly different than Boston which is different than Montreal? So maybe there is a compromise between snow tires and summer tires....

I had Discount Tire install the Goodyear WeatherReady's on my Rav4 about about a month ago. They were out of the Cross Contacts I was looking at. Last 2 sets were General RT43's and I got about 60-70,000 miles out of them. The Goodyears are much quieter than the Generals and have done very well in the couple of snowfalls here in Minnesota. I only have about 1500 miles on them and so far I like them.

I'm oversimplifying, but they simply do not work on rear wheel drive cars. On Thursday, I got caught in a slushy snowfall, and my car has Pilot Sport AS 4+. I know these are excellent tires, that is not subjective, but fact lol. They just don't work in cold precipitation on my RWD car, What is it? The lack of weight on the rear drive wheels? I'm thinking it's not 50/50 like a BMW but looking it up, it's 53/47 with 47 being the rear.

Attachments

• 05B5D6DB-03B2-4B0A-A473-17BD53DD8812.jpeg
    05B5D6DB-03B2-4B0A-A473-17BD53DD8812.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 12
I'm using Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's this year, and so far, they have done okay with the -5*F temps and 1-3" of snow we got. Not much really, but it's actually the plowed roads that give the most trouble, as the snow is compacted down into "ice". My snowy 27% grade driveway? It just drove right up it, no issues. Last year, I ran CC2's, and the year before that, LX25's. The PSAS4's are down a noticeable amount (10-20%?), but it remains academic to me, as the car was still very confident and controllable, and all of them slid on ice/plowed roads with compressed down snow/ice. The added surefootedness in handling power in dry and wet weather that the PSAS4's have, offsets the minor drop in snow performance, for me.

CrossClimate 2 are good after the plows come. They are not that good in fresh, heavy snow, especially when it's more than a couple of inches deep.

Making a U-turn got 3-wheels spinning... a little backing up over the packed snow I made, and then gunning it, letting momentum do the rest allowed me to make the U-turn and back to the type of snow condition the CC2 is best suited for... plowed.

View attachment 131448

Nokian WR's are more winter focused than the CC2, and wears faster. I much prefer the trade-off of Nokian All-weathers to the CC2.
I actually find most tires fine in the powder, but after the plows come and slam that powder into an ice-cube, nothing does well. Not my CC2's, not my LX25's, not my PSAS4's. I have not tried carbide studs yet, lol

I got to commute with the new tires yesterday, then ran some errands when I got home. Some snow/ice and brutal cold temps. I believe I could tell the difference. Starting and stopping seemed especially good, the only slipping I got at all was lateral when I overdid it in a turn.

There is a looping drive around my work campus that I drove down and around, I had zero issues but something seemed odd. Then I parked and got out and discovered it was lightly coated in ice, I had not slid at all driving, but it was slick enough I had to be careful of my footing. A few minutes later a co-worker who'd come the same way said he'd been slipping sideways. He said he had just bought new tires as well (unknown all seasons).

So far I'm satisfied, they seem to do what they are supposed to but we'll see in 20k miles if I'm cussing Goodyear or not. So far definitely not.

There is a looping drive around my work campus that I drove down and around, I had zero issues but something seemed odd. Then I parked and got out and discovered it was lightly coated in ice, I had not slid at all driving, but it was slick enough I had to be careful of my footing.

The last couple days here in the Twin Cities were brutal. Even though the roads 'looked' clear you could definitely tell there was ice, just by the road feel and the sound. I had no problems on my 70 mile round trip commute to work and back.

Back