Giving All Weather's a try....

Ever since I've learned of the existence of All Weather tires I've been intrigued. Pulled the trigger last night and ordered new shoes through Discount Tire for the wife's Edge.

I was sold on the Michelin CC2, but unfortunately multiple places had them backordered in her size. Bummer. Spent some time looking and reading and landed on Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady's instead. Not cheap but available. The Edge is also AWD so they should be fine. We've got some weather coming, they get installed Monday, so we'll be able to put them to the test very quickly.

Replacing original equipment Michelin Latitudes that have been fine in snow with the AWD, they still have a lot of tread left at 43k but they are over 6 years old. With the wife on grandbaby duty, I wanted some fresh rubber for the winter.

Have those of you who have gone to All Weathers stuck with them, or did you end up going back to All Season alternatives? I'm curious if the wife will notice any difference or not, she drives like an insurance agent's dream come true.

I just got 2 sets of CC2s however not a lot of miles on them. My wife has maybe 1000 miles and said they are good so far. My other car has maybe 200 miles on them by the end of today and most have been driven by her also and she said they did ok in the amount of snow we got yesterday which wasn't a lot. I'm more interested in the snow ability compared to the Defender LTX M/S that she had. We'll find out. The Bridgestone version looked interesting too.

I looked hard at the Bridgestones also, eventually waived them off as I seemed to find an unusual number of complaints about bubbles and vibration issues. Once the CC2's were off the table I mostly cross shopped the Bridgestones, the Firestones, the Generals and the Goodyears. Ironically, I've not had great experience with Goodyears in the past, but these seemed like the best option so I put my bias aside. But it's their last chance LOL.

I've stuck with them. Have had Nokian WR G2, WR G3, WR G4, and Rotivva A/T. Very happy with all of those choices. And we certainly know winter weather here in western New York.

I have had the Nokian WR, WRG2 but they were on my winter rims as winter tires way back. They worked well. Once worn down some I left them on for the summer and wore them out. When it starts to snow more, all of them have the "snow" wear bars at 6/32" anyway so not recommended after that for winter. New ones might be better but since I have spare rims I'll go with true winter and good all seasons. Many family and friends run a Nokian or different all weather but they often replace before or just into winter early with good tread left due to reduced performance.

My used Accord came with the GY WeatherReady. They were the noisiest tires I have had in a long time for the other 3 seasons of highway trips. I was still hoping to try for winter as I had different rims already anyway. I wanted to try them last year for a winter but sidewall ply separation had GY prorate them based on DOT date and tread depth. I didn't want my family or myself driving with that on trips knowing how they drive. I ended up with GY Winter Command Ultra that after multiple balances (including Roadforce) still have a slight vibration. Won't say I'll never buy GY again but they won't be toward the top of my list.

I hope yours and your wife's experience is better.
gy1.jpg
gy2.jpg

gy3.jpg

gy4.jpg

Those do not look good. I wonder if they had been run under-inflated by the previous owner?

Treadwear was even and 9-10 /32". Car was 3 years old with 49k when I got it in November 2020. Date code put them at just over 1 year old. No details on mileage, use or when previous owner changed them or if ever under inflated.

I only had them on the car less than 1 month. I had WinterContact Si on rims on the car it replaced so put them on for first winter. They sat in my shed mounted on rims until March, used for 2 months and then went back in shed until November still mounted (I put new all season on other rims for quiet trips). I found that while installing hoping to try them in snow.

Firestone Weathergrip on our Sienna since September. Not quite the grip of the nokian hakkas, but surprisingly sure-footed in the snow and ice.

I've only had 2 sets of Goodyears. When I bought my pathfinder used the person I bought it from had them on there. They tires were cupped but I can't tell you why. My guess is alignment. That car had torsion bars and from what I understand most places didn't know how to align with them. I replaced them with Bridgestone AT Revos.

The other set I had were on my '18 Legacy Sport and I just replaced them. They were the OE tires. They are 5 years old this month and had 41k miles on them. Had plenty of tread left. They were also cupped but I chalk that up to either alignment or my lack of rotation for like 16k miles. They also had sidewall cracks which was the reason I replaced them.

My used A4 came with Bridgestones. Performance wise they were fine (don't remember model) but they were extremly loud. Replaced them with Conti DWS. Blew through 2 of those and the other 2 wore unevenly but were replaced due to tread warranty. The 2 that were replaced also wore unevenly and the shop blamed it on alignment though after I had the alignment done the measurements pre and post alignment were all within spec but they wouldn't replace. I ended up with DWS 06 and they were better but I ended up getting rid of the car with lots of tread left.

My Impreza has Yokos and they seem ok. Though, when going around bends in the wet they slip a LOT and snow traction sucks. They are the OE tire for the '19 Impreza Sport. Got ~15k miles on them. They will most likely dry rot before the tread is worn out. Interestingly, I got something in the mail from Subaru and there was a statement about Yoko tires and they recommend replacing the tires after they are 10 years old. I don't remember seeing that before for any tire.

I had all weather Toyos on my 5 series and I thought they were amazing. I forgot what model Toyos they were... But I have the CrossCLimates on my Subaru, and live on a 10-15% grade in SW Wisconsin, never have an issue with slippage on the hill even before the plows finally make it through. The Cross Climates are some of the best tires out there, in my opinion.

CrossClimate 2 are good after the plows come. They are not that good in fresh, heavy snow, especially when it's more than a couple of inches deep.

Making a U-turn got 3-wheels spinning... a little backing up over the packed snow I made, and then gunning it, letting momentum do the rest allowed me to make the U-turn and back to the type of snow condition the CC2 is best suited for... plowed.

1671403454176.png

Nokian WR's are more winter focused than the CC2, and wears faster. I much prefer the trade-off of Nokian All-weathers to the CC2.

• Helpful
Reactions: rcs
CrossClimate 2 are good after the plows come. They are not that good in fresh, heavy snow, especially when it's more than a couple of inches deep.

Making a U-turn got 3-wheels spinning... a little backing up over the packed snow I made, and then gunning it, letting momentum do the rest allowed me to make the U-turn and back to the type of snow condition the CC2 is best suited for... plowed.

View attachment 131448

Nokian WR's are more winter focused than the CC2, and wears faster. I much prefer the trade-off of Nokian All-weathers to the CC2.
Was that in the Highlander?

If I'm on that on regular basis or even not so regular, I'm thinking I'd definitely be on full snows.

The All Weather's might be for the other 3 seasons in case of early or late storms.

Was that in the Highlander?

If I'm on that on regular basis or even not so regular, I'm thinking I'd definitely be on full snows.

The All Weather's might be for the other 3 seasons in case of early or late storms.
CC2 were in the Highlander Hybrid AWD

WR G3 was on a lowered 2008 Passat wagon with FWD... with Nexen Winguard Sport, Hankook Icebear W300, General Altimax Arctic, and Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI before it.
WR G4 was on the Tiguan 4Motion. Before the WR G4 were Nitto SN2 winter tires (and they proved to be long wearing winter tires for the amount of driving I do, and too bad the Nitto SN3's are not For sale in the USA, just Canada, other wise, I would get them)

And the WR's were my winter tires, with 3-season wheels/tires for the 3-seasons.

Have those of you who have gone to All Weathers stuck with them, or did you end up going back to All Season alternatives?
I've got BFGoodrich Advantage T/A w/ 3PMS on the CX-5 and love them. They are great in the snow and definitely out perform a traditional All Season. My only gripe is that their wet performance is lacking. If I were staying in this area, I'd give the Michelin CC2s a shot as I've read that their wet performance is better. Best of luck with the tires.

I'm oversimplifying, but they simply do not work on rear wheel drive cars. On Thursday, I got caught in a slushy snowfall, and my car has Pilot Sport AS 4+. I know these are excellent tires, that is not subjective, but fact lol. They just don't work in cold precipitation on my RWD car, What is it? The lack of weight on the rear drive wheels? I'm thinking it's not 50/50 like a BMW but looking it up, it's 53/47 with 47 being the rear.

View attachment 131448

If I expected that amount of snow I wouldn't get all seasons.

I'm oversimplifying, but they simply do not work on rear wheel drive cars. On Thursday, I got caught in a slushy snowfall, and my car has Pilot Sport AS 4+. I know these are excellent tires, that is not subjective, but fact lol. They just don't work in cold precipitation on my RWD car, What is it? The lack of weight on the rear drive wheels? I'm thinking it's not 50/50 like a BMW but looking it up, it's 53/47 with 47 being the rear.

We had a week of freezing followed by rain last sunday. Lots of mayhem as you can imagine.

I'm still onmy UHP summers but although I couldn' keep myself upright while walking, I didn' feel unsafe at any time while driving, even if visibly on ice. I got a slight bit of spin for a fraction of a second taking off from a traffic light and 1x abs on a "repaired" section of asphalt. I say repaired, but they just used a tar like substance to fill cracks. Very slippery when wet. 120 mile journey took 4 hours though, with people driving 15 mph in some sections. Lots of carnage too

The traction control is the best I've ever experienced, and it's got a good amount of weight on the driven wheels. I had driven on snow with the oem tyres aswell, they did fine aswell but I only drove to work to fit crossclimates that day. the car doesn't rob you from engine power, but applies it a bit more slowly/gradually in these conditions.

Pilot Sport A/S 4's are UHP all-season tires....not all-weathers.

Back