2017 Santa Fe SE AWD Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by Brigadier
Originally Posted by Ddub
I had Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus tires on my previous (2013) Explorer and liked them a lot. More of a road tire, but something to consider that would probably work well on your Santa Fe. For my use, they were all around better performers than the Firestone Destination LE2s they replaced. Both tires did fine on dirt and gravel roads, but they were never truly tested in anything muddy or true off-road conditions where 4WD would be necessary.

TFLcar did put the Scorpion Verde to the test on the Tiguan vs Sante Fe vs gold mine hill.

The 19" tire VW puts on the Tiguan is the Scorpion Verde

They used the Santa Fe Sport which does not have a locking AWD system.

What's this button on the Santa Fe Sport on the Edmund's website that has the word "LOCK" on it?

[Linked Image]

It's not the AWD lock button? There is no center differential in these FWD based systems. It's an electronic program that tells it to hold a full lock (to 50:50) at the electronic multiplate clutch coupling located at the rear axle.

But, you missed the point of my post. TFL did put the Scorpion Verde to the test on Gold Mine Hill

Yes they did, and it didn't do so hot IMO. The stock Kumhos on the SFS are the same as on my SF SE. They look to be terrible in the muck.

Originally Posted by Ddub
I had Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus tires on my previous (2013) Explorer and liked them a lot. More of a road tire, but something to consider that would probably work well on your Santa Fe. For my use, they were all around better performers than the Firestone Destination LE2s they replaced. Both tires did fine on dirt and gravel roads, but they were never truly tested in anything muddy or true off-road conditions where 4WD would be necessary.

TFLcar did put the Scorpion Verde to the test on the Tiguan vs Sante Fe vs gold mine hill.

The 19" tire VW puts on the Tiguan is the Scorpion Verde

What's this button on the Santa Fe Sport on the Edmund's website that has the word "LOCK" on it?

[Linked Image]

It's not the AWD lock button? There is no center differential in these FWD based systems. It's an electronic program that tells it to hold a full lock (to 50:50) at the electronic multiplate clutch coupling located at the rear axle.

But, you missed the point of my post. TFL did put the Scorpion Verde to the test on Gold Mine Hill

Are you saying there is no transfer case?

Then what is this in the owner's manual?

Transfercase.JPG

transfercase2.JPG

^ That "4x4" lock button hasn't changed since I owned my 2008 model year. It automatically disables itself at 10mph or more. I actually pulled a neighbor's beat up full sized Ford conversion van out of a ditch with mine, with the AWD lock button pressed. Those who were watching said it should have been a Hyundai commercial LOL!

[Linked Image]

Are you saying there is no transfer case?

Then what is this in the owner's manual?

t
Maybe you have trouble with reading comprehension.

Where did I say transfer case? Answer: I didn't. I said no center differential, which is not a transfer case.

Hyundai is giving transfer case a different definition from the traditional sense of transfer case for part-time 4WD systems and certain AWD systems (such as Toyota Landcruiser, VW Touareg, etc).

Hyundai is most likely calling the part of the transmission that drives the propeller shaft the "transfer case". There is no center differential. The prop shaft connects the transmission up front to the electromechanical plate coupling in the rear. The Lock button is forcing the rear coupling at max lock, which is 50:50 torque split.

You don't explicitly give your location, but apparently it has some snow.

Nokian is a legendary winter tire brand. In recent years, they have been diversifying into all season tires as well. I have a set on a 2013 BMW X5 and love their smooth ride and confident grip. Very popular in Russia, where they experience a lot of challenging weather.

https://simpletire.com/nokian-235-60r18-t428840-tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back