2017 Santa Fe SE AWD Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I no longer use Michelin. My last set cracked badly and deep. I had to get rid of them with 50% tread left. I will never make that costly mistake again. I am using Continental True Contacts on my 2017 SantaFe FWD and Continental Extreme Contacts on my 2016 Hyudai Tucson.

The True Contacts are great on the SantaFe.

Originally Posted by Brigadier
Sorry, I am not jumping on the RT43 bandwagon. They aren't available in the correct size either.

Putting the size issue aside, what do you feel is wrong with the 43's?

The Toyo Celsius is also available in your size 235/60-18

Don't bother with off-road tires if you know you're never going to use it for that purpose. The Toyo Celsius or Goodyear Weatherready will be plenty for your intended usage of your Santa Fe
smile.gif

Originally Posted by walterjay
I no longer use Michelin. My last set cracked badly and deep. I had to get rid of them with 50% tread left. I will never make that costly mistake again. I am using Continental True Contacts on my 2017 SantaFe FWD and Continental Extreme Contacts on my 2016 Hyudai Tucson.

i have been looking hard at the True Contacts. How are they in snow?

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Sorry, I am not jumping on the RT43 bandwagon. They aren't available in the correct size either.

Putting the size issue aside, what do you feel is wrong with the 43's?

I believe they are overrated. Just my opinion. I used General tires in the past when single and they were not high enough quality for a family car. Maybe General has upped its game.

Originally Posted by Cujet
My last set of Michelins started cracking on me, so they are a nonstarter.

That's unusual.

LTX M/S-2 tires are known for living a long time. They would be my recommendation.

No-it's (cracking) is not usual. There have been wide spread reporting of this issue for sometime. Especially those who live in the "warmer" states.

LTX M/S2 are on their way out, being replaced by Defender LTX M/S; and as I illustrated in my earlier post, those ARE available in OP's size.

Originally Posted by walterjay

i have been looking hard at the True Contacts. How are they in snow?

I have used them in up to about 3" of snow and they did great. I can't speak for anything over that.

Originally Posted by JLTD
LTX M/S2 are on their way out, being replaced by Defender LTX M/S; and as I illustrated in my earlier post, those ARE available in OP's size.

But they are still overpriced Michelins.

You are correct, and that is in fact what I should have mentioned. I did know that.

This is going back some years, but my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS, 2.7L AWD was a TANK in the snow and winter conditions with the uniroyal tiger paw tires it had on it at the time. It was a much more stable winter vehicle than the Subarus I've owned.

Originally Posted by JTK
This is going back some years, but my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS, 2.7L AWD was a TANK in the snow and winter conditions with the uniroyal tiger paw tires it had on it at the time. It was a much more stable winter vehicle than the Subarus I've owned.

That is good to know. I just bought mine in May and have not had it during winter yet. The OEM tires don't look very promising for use in snow, even with AWD.

Apologies I ddn't know what your budget was; perhaps let us know what dollar amount per tire works for you so we can be more helpful; if not - *graciously bows out of discussion*

Apologies I ddn't know what your budget was; perhaps let us know what dollar amount per tire works for you so we can be more helpful; if not - *graciously bows out of discussion*

Budget is not the issue. My past experience with Michelin is that they are overpriced for what you get. The only tires I have ever had crack on me were Kellys and Michelins. The Michelins command too high a price to do that.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Cujet
My last set of Michelins started cracking on me, so they are a nonstarter.

That's unusual.

LTX M/S-2 tires are known for living a long time. They would be my recommendation.

No-it's (cracking) is not usual. There have been wide spread reporting of this issue for sometime. Especially those who live in the "warmer" states.

They crack in cold states too. I had a set and they looked to be the first set of tires I've had in a couple decades that might go more than 40k. But they cracked. Will say they lasted longer than the other Michelin's I've had (Energy, Primacy).

They also weren't good in snow, but I think my truck is just that bad in snow. Went to snow tires and gave up on a "premium" all season for year round usage. I'd rather have two sets of mediocre tires than one premium set that does nothing well.

I had Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus tires on my previous (2013) Explorer and liked them a lot. More of a road tire, but something to consider that would probably work well on your Santa Fe. For my use, they were all around better performers than the Firestone Destination LE2s they replaced. Both tires did fine on dirt and gravel roads, but they were never truly tested in anything muddy or true off-road conditions where 4WD would be necessary.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ddub
I had Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus tires on my previous (2013) Explorer and liked them a lot. More of a road tire, but something to consider that would probably work well on your Santa Fe. For my use, they were all around better performers than the Firestone Destination LE2s they replaced. Both tires did fine on dirt and gravel roads, but they were never truly tested in anything muddy or true off-road conditions where 4WD would be necessary.

TFLcar did put the Scorpion Verde to the test on the Tiguan vs Sante Fe vs gold mine hill.

The 19" tire VW puts on the Tiguan is the Scorpion Verde

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

TFLcar did put the Scorpion Verde to the test on the Tiguan vs Sante Fe vs gold mine hill.

They used the Santa Fe Sport which does not have a locking AWD system.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

They used the Santa Fe Sport which does not have a locking AWD system.

What's this button on the Santa Fe Sport on the Edmund's website that has the word "LOCK" on it?

[Linked Image]

It's not the AWD lock button? There is no center differential in these FWD based systems. It's an electronic program that tells it to hold a full lock (to 50:50) at the electronic multiplate clutch coupling located at the rear axle.

But, you missed the point of my post. TFL did put the Scorpion Verde to the test on Gold Mine Hill

Last edited:
get the GY weather ready , have them on the Kia in sig, live in OR and am impressed all round with the tire. Wet traction is a bit lacking compared to my previous set of Cooper Ultra Touring CS5 tires but the improvement in ride comfort, snow/ice traction, noise far outweighs compared to the Coopers. Also Coopers were UHP A/S tire while GYs are GT A/S tire so different categories. The current rebates make it a steal. Check with your local dealer, sometimes they run a buy 3 get 1 for $1 which can often be combo'd with the rebate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back