Giulia Brake Fluid (Petronas) - 55k Miles

Afternoon folks, decided to bleed the Giulia brakes this morning as I had some unexpected time and they’re long overdue. Alfa calls for a 2-year interval, mine was due 10/2020. First pic is the original Petronas fluid (has 55k miles on it, second pic is the fresh BrakeBest Select I swapped it with. Based on appearance alone, I’m very impressed with how well the Petronas appears to have held up.

69E2C7A4-A051-4193-833C-DA89034A4B0B.jpeg
864463F7-0C32-4F12-9FEE-D68BB7560383.jpeg
80956FD3-D66C-4C92-A6F5-136675FB17D8.jpeg

Yeah not bad at all. WAYYYY cleaner than anything I've seen rolling around before.

Don't tell me you're using a hand squeeze Mity Vac?
I sure am. It worked alright, a bleeder on one of the front corners gave me suction issues but the rest worked just fine. Not the fastest thing in the world, but worked as advertised.

i have both a vacuum bleeder and a motive . if i can find an adapter cap for the vehicle i use the motive. i don't trust the universal cap. if not i vaccum bleed.

i one has a compressor , the HF vacuum bleeder works fine .

I sure am. It worked alright, a bleeder on one of the front corners gave me suction issues but the rest worked just fine. Not the fastest thing in the world, but worked as advertised.
Even if you don't have compressed air, Mity Vac makes this manual version. I used your hand pump 25 years ago but would never go back.

71LVN70GZbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Even if you don't have compressed air, Mity Vac makes this manual version. I used your hand pump 25 years ago but would never go back.

71LVN70GZbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I’ve got one actually, never thought of using it on the calipers. Did you use it to create pressure on the master and push through like a motive, or pulled via vacuum from the caliper itself?

I’ve got one actually, never thought of using it on the calipers. Did you use it to create pressure on the master and push through like a motive, or pulled via vacuum from the caliper itself?
I've had the pneumatic version for 20 years and use it to vacuum bleed. No need to keep pumping it up to have constant vacuum on a slow caliper or wheel cylinder that may take 5-10 minutes. Most cars I can change the fluid in under 20 minutes total.

I've had the pneumatic version for 20 years and use it to vacuum bleed. No need to keep pumping it up to have constant vacuum on a slow caliper or wheel cylinder that may take 5-10 minutes. Most cars I can change the fluid in under 20 minutes total.
You also need one hell of an air compressor, likely 60 gal or more.

My 25 gal will run non-stop for the entire brake fluid exchange if I use my pneumatic brake bleeder.

Back