GF4 5W-30 vs. 10W-30 dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always felt that 10W-30 made for a better choice than 5W-30, based on the fact that 5W-30s always seemed to shear out of grade in UOAs (dino oils). With the advent of GF-4, it sounds like better basestocks are being used in 5W-30 oils, but not necessarily in the 10W-30s.

Could it be that the scales have tipped, and now 5W-30 is the dino oil grade of choice? I guess we will have to wait on the UOAs to know for sure.

What are your thoughts?

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:

What are your thoughts?

Even if the new GF-4 5w-30 was Group 4,5,6.....even Group X, that does not mean it automatically becomes the better oil than say, 10w-30, 20w-50 that use Group 1 or less.

Many oils in here post super wear numbers even though they arev made with primitive Base Stocks. Contrastingly, some oils show terrible wear numbers even they are pure, 100% PAO Base Stock.

"It is not how big your Group # is. It's what you DO with it that counts."

I know that Castrol GTX and Pennzoil already meet GF-4 in 10W-30. This would be a non-issue since they already use quality basestocks. There would be no superior advantage to 5-30 over 10-30 in these two or Chevron/Havoline.

I think conventional wisdom still applies with these brands. Most starburst dinos will thin somewhat by design to get the energy conserving rating.

quote:

originally posted by Flimflam:
"It is not how big your Group # is. It's what you DO with it that counts."

I believe there's much truth in this statement!
It's the quality of the entire formulation that makes the difference, and I feel this includes more than can be seen with a typical VOA; - or knowing which base oil blend is used).
smile.gif
dunno.gif

Let's assume for one minute that both the 5W-30 and 10W-30 are approved for your engine. Let's also assume that the add packs are identical. Let's go one step further and assume that the 5W-30 is a GRII/GRIII blend, and the 10W-30 is a lesser quality basestock.

Would the 5W-30 hold up better over extended drains?

In addition to the base stock the additive package used is very important. With more vehicles using 5W-30 now a days I think the oil companies are investing more in making a better 5W-30 than 10W-30. Take Motorcraft for example. They "upgraded" their 5W-30 to a "synthetic blend" recently. But not the 10W-30 as of yet. Plus a lesser base stock oil need more additives to make up for the lesser base stock. That's not always desireable.

Whimsey

All things being equal a SM/GF4 5w-30 will be a "better" lubricant compared to a 10w-30 of the same brand that is not.

Volatility, extended drains,and hopefully lubricity "should" be improved.

As far as comparing UOA's here you have got to understand that outside variables have a tremendous effect on the results. Most that are listed here are not interpreted properly or fully disclosed when posted.

A really well maintained engine running a average oil and driven gently will show well.

A hard driven engine with coolant,poor air filtration,deposits, fuel dilution will make the highest quality lubricant look terrible.

FWIW I've moved my 5w30 use from three to nine months out of the year. GF-4 may make it a twelve month pick. I seem to get better mileage with 5w30 and reduction in start-up wear is important. The Pennzoil 5w30 seemed to burn off a bit more than the ST 10w30 but at less than a half quart for four thousand miles that's no big thing.

quote:

originally posted by novadude:
Let's assume for one minute that both the 5W-30 and 10W-30 are approved for your engine. Let's also assume that the add packs are identical. Let's go one step further and assume that the 5W-30 is a GRII/GRIII blend, and the 10W-30 is a lesser quality basestock.

If the GF-4 10w-30 was using a "lesser quaility basestock" blend(Grp I content), a stronger/different additive package along with correction fluid/s would have to be used to meet the the oxidation and volatility specs. Formulation costs would be roughly the same using a Grp II+ base oil blend while also keeping production "simpler" by using the same additive package as the 5w-30. Here's a quote from ChevronTexaco regarding this very subject; - in this post.

Now that GF4 is here, I am thinking about giving up my 10W-30 preference for 5W-30. Wise choice, or not?

I started to shy away from 5W-30 when I saw it shear to a 20 wt. in my UOAs. 10W-30 does not shear for me, even after 5k miles (my new "normal" interval). I am thinking that the new GF-4 oils may not shear out of grade as quickly. Right or wrong?

Any reason to stick with 10W-30?

quote:

All things being equal a SM/GF4 5w-30 will be a "better" lubricant compared to a 10w-30 of the same brand that is not.

How about GF-4 5W-30 vs. GF-4 10W-30? Any advantage to 5W, now that the formulations are improving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back