Getting the cars rust proofed on the 27th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting the yearly rust proofing done for the Accord and Impala on the 27th. Accord will be seeing its third application, Impala will be having its second.

I stand by Carwell and their processes and will again be visiting their corporate office on Broadway.

Great products, also so happy that they're a local company.

I also mention this as a friendly reminder to those of you who rust proof annually or desire some sort of corrosion protection to get a move on.

On a side note, I will also be getting brand new General AltiMAX Arctics in 215/60/16 mounted and balanced on 16" steelies with TPMS sensors around the same time.

redhat,

I've been there (Broadway) and watched them do several cars.
Never had them do my vehicle, but I'd have no problem having it done there.

Years ago, I started going to Schmidts Collision (Transit & Broadway).
What they spray on is a lot thicker (but does creep).

My conclusion is: if done yearly, either place is good (same price).

If your ever near Schmitts Collision, check out their product.

I have so much of that stuff under my vehicle now that I only do yearly touch-ups.
I use Fluid Film for that.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to see some pics underneath both cars,if possible? Do they do the inside of the doors too? As I may get my vehicles done there too. Thank you

Live in the area and will get my next vehicle rust proofed. They also have a Krown in the area at, 5201 CAMP ROAD, HAMBURG,New York, 14075.

They also have a Krown in the area

Krone may be similar to Carwell (a thin oil ?)

At Schmidts Collision it's a bit thicker.

I do not work at Schmidts and am not endorsing their method/product.
I just happen to go to Schmidts.

I recommend no matter where you go, inspect under vehicle before it's off the lift.
I've had to go back (missed spots) after inspecting at home.

Both places have a 'brochure' showing where they spray.
Inside doors, hood, trunk etc.

Yearly rust proofing? So if rust starts to form 6 months after you have it done, they just spray more stuff over the rust, and call it a day

I'm no expert, but YES.
Respray and let it soak thru any rust.

Last edited:
I normally take a peek and it looks good to me. I grab a bottle of the CP90 and hose some pieces down myself too as touch up.

I'll check out Schmidts too Larry.

Had a couple of mine done at Gus's garage in Versailles with Krown before the summer set in. First coat for both vehicles, still there even after those hot days. I will repeat again next fall, so convenient to have someone do it for you. Guy did a much better job than me, need to find me some small sprayer attachments for a spray gun like he has. Every control arm, body and rocker panel got misted inside and out. Pretty neat to watch, except for the part where he drills holes into your brand new car, heh.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Yearly rust proofing? So if rust starts to form 6 months after you have it done, they just spray more stuff over the rust, and call it a day?

Up here in the rust belt, everything will eventually return to it's natural form thanks to oxidation. I don't care what you do, you'll eventually have surface rust on some of the underneath components of your vehicle. Only 100% effective corrosion protection is not driving the vehicle in winter, LOL!

So if some parts have a little surface rust, then the Carwell will soak into it and prevent it from further rusting or at the very least slow it considerably.

If you don't mind me asking what do they typically charge for an Accord or the Impala? Thanks!

It is usually around $80-90. Can't remember which but I know they mail these postcards which save you $10 or so. I can have an accurate price this evening when I look at my past invoices.

Originally Posted By: redhat
It is usually around $80-90. Can't remember which but I know they mail these postcards which save you $10 or so. I can have an accurate price this evening when I look at my past invoices.

Thanks. Is that the price to shoot the undercarriage alone?

Originally Posted By: redhat
Getting the yearly rust proofing done for the Accord and Impala on the 27th. Accord will be seeing its third application, Impala will be having its second.

I stand by Carwell and their processes and will again be visiting their corporate office on Broadway.

Great products, also so happy that they're a local company.

I also mention this as a friendly reminder to those of you who rust proof annually or desire some sort of corrosion protection to get a move on.

On a side note, I will also be getting brand new General AltiMAX Arctics in 215/60/16 mounted and balanced on 16" steelies with TPMS sensors around the same time.

I am on the spring schedule for CarWell. And I go to the Rust Cop Shop in Dolgerville since I am to the east. The Rust Cop Shop is unique. I was told that they feel spring is better as it deals with any salt or rust that occurred over the winter. But I could see in the fall the stuff would be newer during the winter.

I live in Michigan and I didn't think think people still got there cars rustproofed when new let alone every year?
I don't even know where you would have it done and it certainly does not seem needed. We used to have our fleet vehicles done when new 20 or 30 years ago but after awhile decided it was not cost effective anymore.
Modern autos start rusting here after about 10 years and don't get real bad till long after that. My 2004 Malibu has 110,000 miles and no rust after 10 Michigan winters. It will be long gone by the time rust is an issue!
Under coating is done on our school buses in our fleet but really seems to cause more problems with moisture getting trapped underneath it somehow and also makes them a filthy mess to work on.

Last edited:
I'd rather be wrenching and have greasy hands then rust in the eyes.

Not trying to belittle the salted roads in your neck of the woods, but I'm not sure if you've truly experienced the calcium chloride hate bath that of which consumes vehicles on the NYS Thruway -- that of which I'm on for a good 250-300 miles per week.

Yeah, 10 year old rust-free vehicles are not the norm here either. Oil undercoating isn't that popular either, but the more I read about, and talk to others about, the more "common" it seems to be. At least with those attempting to keep vehicles for a long time. I bring it up when I can.

I wonder if people will start having this done more often now. A couple years ago there was a report about how the average vehicle age had ticked up to 11 years. Not that everyone reads the news, but the handwriting is on the wall: people are owning longer, and at least the circles I hang with, people are kinda wanting their vehicle to last longer. The same mentality that once drove 3k oil changes might make oil undercoating more popular.

Agreed.

Sure, many I see daily don't undercoat/rust proof. These also are the lessees of RAV4 and Escapes or the 120k and done Fusion crew.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bradepb
I live in Michigan and I didn't think think people still got there cars rustproofed when new let alone every year?
I don't even know where you would have it done and it certainly does not seem needed. We used to have our fleet vehicles done when new 20 or 30 years ago but after awhile decided it was not cost effective anymore.
Modern autos start rusting here after about 10 years and don't get real bad till long after that. My 2004 Malibu has 110,000 miles and no rust after 10 Michigan winters. It will be long gone by the time rust is an issue!
Under coating is done on our school buses in our fleet but really seems to cause more problems with moisture getting trapped underneath it somehow and also makes them a filthy mess to work on.

This is not the same as the old Ziebart or Rusty Jones which was typically done on new cars and was a greasy/waxy stuff if I remember.

Carwell or Krown or Fluid Film all have the ability to soak through the rust and prevent more rust.

The Rust Cop Shop (Carwell) has a mobile truck and spends the summer doing all the school bus fleets in the area. This is in addition to cars/trucks at their shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back