DTD Customer Service, Winter Tires, pics included

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a set of 16" steelies + 205/60R16 General AltiMax Arctics from DTD during their BF sale. They should make my AWD MKZ quite capable in the winter. I ordered on a Sat night. This was the 3rd set I've bought from them in the last 4 years. On Monday evening, I get a call on my cell phone from DTD. They stated the wheels weren't in stock, and asked if I wanted to wait (estimated 12/6 in-stock date), or upgrade to alloy. I decided to wait. Also, they stated they were out of the 205/60 tires. With winter tires, once they're gone, they're gone -- no more this season. They offered to replace with different tire, or different size. The size I really wanted was 215/60 anyway, but they were $53 more. They gave them to me at the same price. I was happy. The set shipped 12/6 as originally promised. They arrived 2 days later. On to the pics. (sorry for the lousy quality):

OE weight:

IMG_3525_sm-1.jpg

Winter combo weight:

IMG_3524_sm.jpg

IMG_3526_sm.jpg

IMG_3527_sm.jpg

1 on. 1 OE:

IMG_3528_sm.jpg

(my jack stands won't fit under my car, so I used 2 jacks -- 1 corner at a time)

Lovely:

IMG_3529_sm.jpg

OE wheels all cleaned/sealed; to store in finished basement:

IMG_3530_sm.jpg

I didn't buy TPMS sensors. With the OE set in the basement, the "TPMS FAULT" clears every time I restart the car in the garage. It takes a good 20 mi of driving before the light comes back on. Sometimes I drive several short trips throughout the day, and the light won't come on at all. I find it odd that such a "mandated system" is so easily confused. You'd think it would be an "instant fault" w/o ANY sensors? My Focus was the same way last year.

Do you think some hubcaps would look better, or worse?

Congrats on the new tires. Altimax Arctic are great. I have them in the exact same size (215/60/16), except I splurged for alloy rims to go with them.
smile.gif
You will like these winter tires.

By the way, I'm surprised they weigh in at 51 lbs. I didn't think the steelies would be that much heavier. Mine weigh around 43 lbs total. Not that it matters much for winter anyway...

When I swap out my winter wheels and tires (w/o TPMS sensors), it takes about 100 miles of driving before the TPMS light comes on!

I suspect (hope!) that it is only because all 4 sensors are missing and that if I had an actual pressure loss in one of the tires that it would come on immediately. I probably should test it sometime...

Yeah -- the whole TPMS system is weird. It did take about 100 mi before the initial fault. However, I have had it save me (3x) on various vehicles -- due to low or punctured tires. In those cases, the warning was quick/instant.

I was surprised the winter combo was < 1 lb lighter than the OE 18s.

I thought of moons or smoothies, but I may just leave them bare (nekkid).

Nice setup.

The gone when they are gone worries me a bit with AWD and winter tires(I have a Subaru) if you get a non repairable tire.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
It takes a good 20 mi of driving before the light comes back on. Sometimes I drive several short trips throughout the day, and the light won't come on at all. I find it odd that such a "mandated system" is so easily confused. You'd think it would be an "instant fault" w/o ANY sensors? My Focus was the same way last year.
The way I understand it, the TPMS sensors are only looking for a "difference" in air pressure across all 4 (or 5...) tires. Basically, giving you a clear notice that you have a leak in one or more of your tires. When I had my 08 Kia I only had the "TPMS" light, and then the flat tire with the "!" mark in it...the first week of winter was when I'd get the "!" light on the dashboard, with the change in ambient temperatures it would trigger the light on....BUT mine did not alert me WHICH tire was low.....lol.

Also had it turn on once when the quick lube joint didn't add the correct air pressure in all tires.....one side of the car was at 32 psi, and one side was at 36 psi...and about 2 blocks down the road the light went on and was like "[censored]?!" sure enough.....miscommunication when they were topping off my air pressure
wink.gif

But yes, I've heard some cars, even the spare tire has a TPMS sensor....that COULD be what is causing the TPMS fault. Try taking out the spare, and see if the error goes away :p

Then again, the "system" problem still sends out "pings" to the sensors, when it doesn't receive a response...it'll likely trip the fault anyways....but just a thought
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yeah, the car looks all business with those black steelies. I'd probably just leave it the way it is.

^^^Agreed.

Besides, unless you get covers which bolt on with the lugs, you have a good chance of losing them to the frost-heave induced 'craters' which are so prevalent during the winter season.
frown.gif

I didn't buy TPMS sensors. With the OE set in the basement, the "TPMS FAULT" clears every time I restart the car in the garage. It takes a good 20 mi of driving before the light comes back on. Sometimes I drive several short trips throughout the day, and the light won't come on at all. I find it odd that such a "mandated system" is so easily confused. You'd think it would be an "instant fault" w/o ANY sensors? My Focus was the same way last year.

Do you think some hubcaps would look better, or worse?

I too ordered a set or artics from dtd on steel wheels no sensors during the BF deals.
This was for my Hyundai Accent. Total price to door was $414.

It took me awhile to figure out theat the old tires still in the garage would fools the tpms system. If I drive for more than 20minutes the light goes on. If I park outside the light stays on. If I park in the garage, the light goes off on restart and stays off If i only drive short trips. It had me stumped..

my spindle nuts were exposed so I purchased axel nut caps and painted them black to cover them. With black lug nuts, it looks great.

Last edited:
are those lug centric or hub centric?

translation:

does the center hole just sit there or does it ride on a ridge(hub).

The opening on mine looked larger than that.

I am just curious if DTD has ANY hub centric steelies.

Edit: nice tires btw. Have you had snows before? I bet you love them in the snow.. hate them on the dry(50F+) days.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they are just lug centric wheels. You could give them a call. They are drilled for different bolt patterns.

I had these same tires for a few months last year -- on my Focus. They were excellent. We haven't had any real snow here yet this year. They do ride much better than the OE 18s, but of course handle worse. They aren't any louder than the GY RSAs. They tramline very slightly (barely noticeable), and feel somewhat quishy around corners. It's of course a trad-off of being safe during the winter, vs. driving like a wild man during the winter. I just take corners easy now.

The only negative I can say about them, is they will prolong the life of my RSAs. The worst tires seem to be wearing the best. I pulled them off at > 14K mi, and they are still at 10/32nds.

I had the goodyear RS-A too I hated them.. but I know in some sizes they are much better.. probably one of them oem spec tire deals.

I don't care for the plain steel wheels look on such a nice car, but then again when the Snow hits, traction is more important than looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back