'16 Subaru Forester. 2 sets of TPMS possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I ordered a set of used take-off OEM TPMS off eBay for my 2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i base model for use in a new set of wheels I recently got from Discount Tire Direct. My plan is to have these sensors installed on the DTD wheels along with new tires and use the factory wheels / sensors for snow tires. Will the system in late model Subarus store 8 wheels, such that all you have to do is swap summer/winter wheels with no reset required? Thanks.

I know this does not answer your question since I am not sure if you can store 8 diff. TPMS codes but, you can also look into getting a set of "clone-able" sensors. You either go to a shop that can read the TPMS ID # or you can rent the tool to read the IDs.

Here is the website where I got mine from for our 2014 Forester www.clonemytpms.com

I'm interested to see what's said here.

With my '13, it would only store four sensors, which was ridiculous. It seemed like an attempt to allow dealers to charge for the reset service at every swap. I didn't have a winter set, but I bought a fifth wheel and tire so I could keep a matching spare in the rotation. I just left the light on. This was my least favorite thing about the car.

My current Jeep will just pick up whatever sensor is present, as long as it's transmitting in the proper frequency.

I have my summer and winter tires on their own sets of wheels and need to have a reset done every time I swap tires to make the light shut off. Didn't know about the sensors that could clone TPMS codes, that's a cool idea...an indy tire shop I use will reset the sensors for me for free even if I swap the wheels myself, the local Subie dealer wanted $75!!

Thanks everyone. Yes, best I can tell is the system will only store 4 sensors at a time. This is just plain ridiculous IMO. I thought any sensor could be "cloned" with the proper programmer, but perhaps not. I wish I would have researched this more before spending $50 on a set of used Subaru sensors.. Ugh. Well, I could re-sell them I suppose. Looks like $200+ for a set of cloned sensors, buy your own ATEQ quickset tool for $120, or just have a shop reset them every 6mo. I know shops near me have reset/scanned TPM sensors for free for me in the past, but I was in for other services I was paying for. I really don't take my vehicles in for anything other than yearly state safety inspections.

Last edited:
Yes their system is terrible.

it holds 4 sensors.. the 2 major options you have are get a set of cloned sensors or use the ateq tool.
(or have DT or someone else do it of course)

Jeeps system is self learning.. even to which sensor is at which wheel position..
I am a huge fan of subaru.. but their tpms reeks of poorly engineered afterthought/addon compliance system.

Yeah, as much as I hate having a trouble light on, I'll live with the TPM light for 6mo out of the year before I spend an additional ~$250+ just for this purpose.

I installed the new wheel, tire and TPMS combo yesterday. The dash light didn't light up until after about 25 miles worth of driving. I was reluctantly hopeful some miracle happened because it took so long to happen LOL.

I thought this was odd, due to the fact any time in the past I actually had low tire pressure prompting the dash light, the light would go out within a mile or two of driving after topping up the tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back