2020 Elantra TPMS INFO and winter tire choices.

I want to run a separate winter tires/wheels set.

Does anyone know how this tpms works... seems overly restrictive and complicated..
The 2020 elantra does have the psi readout from each wheel so its different than the older tpms dummy light that just lit up for an issue.
Seems like I need a tool to even rotate the tires so the psi readout works?

I have a few options as I see it.
Option 1:
Buy sensors and the $250 tpms tool
or
buy sensors and haul the wheels 70miles round trip to have DT put them on and fix the sensors(yearly)
note: i hate hauling tires 1.5 hours and loading/unloading them I can do it in the driveway with 2 floor jacks in about 15min.
also introduces many chances for the "newbie tech" to mess something up etc.

Tirerack wont sell you a wheel/tire combo without TPMS.. well they will but they wont balance the tires.....

Option 2:
Dont buy sensors.--does this affect the Traction control/ESC like on hondas?
If not buying sensors I am pretty sure I can pickup the tires/wheels from DT with my jeep and they will let me slide on the sensors.
Might be for offroad use blah blah resolves them from the federal TPMS mandate.

However would I still need the tpms tool anyway to rotate the factory wheels/all seasons??

Option 3:
Buy good all weather tire such as the nokian WR-G4.

The elantra will get 12000-15000 miles a year, most of the miles are highway commute but we do live on a moderate hill.

Realistically the car has about 5" of ground clearance so it doesnt need to be able to cross a mountain pass with a foot of ice and snow on it..
however I would like it to be reasonably safe on snow and black ice. I already know the stock low rolling resistance tires are not going to cut it.

Comments and ideas? I am flip flopping on the options.. but I could use more info on the TPMS system that might tilt me one way or the other.
Also waiting a few weeks for possible black friday deals seems prudent although sometimes winter tire availability is BAD later in the fall.

Target date for winter tires on car is usually early december... or first major snow storm.

If I decide on winter tires it will most likely be a -1 195/65r15 fitment. stock is 205/55r16

Originally Posted by MParr
You could always buy 4 extra sensors and put them in a sealed up pvc pipe with a valve stem installed. Air that thing up and put it in your trunk.

Doesnt work.

My Jeep autolearns any sensors..

the elantra system has to be registered and it holds 4 sensors.

Also they dont properly wake up unless you are driving sometimes (it will say drive to display psi on screen)

You can get aftermarket sensors like the ITM Uni-Sensor. Less than $100 for the set of 4 on eBay, and they come pre-programmed, so no need to buy the $250 scan tool
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
You can get aftermarket sensors like the ITM Uni-Sensor. Less than $100 for the set of 4 on eBay, and they come pre-programmed, so no need to buy the $250 scan tool
smile.gif

How does that work? some type of cloning sensor?

Also how do you realign the sensors with the locations when you rotate tires..
There is a black hole where information about this elantra tpms system should be.

Previously all my vehicles were either jeep with autolearn
or dumb systems with tpms idiot light that didnt need to know which sensor was in which wheel position.

afaik the elantra system doesnt autolearn sensors(ID) or update sensor locations automatically when rotating etc.

edit: I'm not seeing any ITM uni-sensor for anything after 2017 elantra.

Last edited:
Suggest that you try your OEM tires out in the snow before switching. The OEM Kumhos on my SFS work great in the snow.

Have been rotating tires on two Hyundais (2017 Elantra & 2018 SFS) with this TPMS system and have had no problems.

If you do buy winter tires, suggest that you wait to see if you actually do have problems adapting the new sensors before looking to change settings.

If you go the all-season route, highly recommend Michelin Premier A/S. Have been running these on our Elantra and work great in the snow.

Well The decision is made.
I was very close to getting michelin xice xi3 but wanting to try something else(previous car had michelin xice xi2) and the large price difference pushed me to the continentals.

I ended up with continental viking contact 7 on alloy wheels from DTD.
no TPMS.
Currently they have a 70 conti mir and
$50 winter tire MIR(requires DT Credit card)

They took #1 in ice braking in a couple tests.
I could have saved $60 and went with last year's wintercontact si model.. but I'm a tire nerd so I had to get the latest model.
I'll post some feedback on them later in the winter and after winter.
This is around my 18th set of winter tires so I'll try to provide some good feedback for anyone else interested.

Will update with pics.. expecting them thurs or fri.

unless required by your state for inspection tyre sensors are a WASTE $$$$!! they dont activate until almost 10 lb off! buy a QUALITY tyre gauge + USE IT!!!!

unless required by your state for inspection tyre sensors are a WASTE $$$$!! they dont activate until almost 10 lb off! buy a QUALITY tyre gauge + USE IT!!!!

The TPMS on this car shows you pressure in the tires and updates about every 30s..
Its hard to use a tire gauge driving down the highway if you hit a board with nails in or other road hazard.

The TPMS in the Jeep saved me when I hit a nail driving home 1 mile from home went inside for a bottle of water came out and it showed me 14psi in 1 tire flashing red.

and since you resurrected this 1.33 year old thread:

2 winters on the continential viking contact 7's. Still Very happy with them.
they are really good in the bad weather.. and better traction and handling than the oem tires in the dry and wet.

maybe this size is the special extra junky oem version I had TA31 on another car and it wasnt nearly as bad as these OEM Tires.
Just ditched the abysmal OEM kumho ta31 tires for General AS-05 this week.

Regarding the 2020 Hyundai Elantra you have right now, I got some good news to share. If you bought a set of four programmable TPMS sensors and a TPMS programming and activation tool (i.e.: Autel MaxiTPMS TS508 and Autel MX 1-Sensors or Ateq VT37 and Schrader EZ-Sensor 33500), or a set of four direct-fit TPMS sensors (Hyundai Part #52933-F2000), your car is capable of doing an automatic relearn. No TPMS relearn tool is required, although that would be needed if you want to program blank TPMS sensors to a specific make, model, and year of the vehicle being serviced.

Once the sensors are programmed and installed into the dedicated set of winter wheels and tires with the tire pressure set to placard value (i.e.: 33 psi), leave the car parked for at least 20 minutes. Then drive the car for up to 10 minutes while driving over 50 mph.

A driver of a 2018 Kia Cadenza (another Hyundai product) told me after the dedicated winter wheels and tires were installed, the car automatically picks up the sensors when he took it out on the highway. Mind you, they were equipped with Autel MX 1-Sensors when I did the swap.

Back