Getting that nice solid car door "thud"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Thanks guys!
After thinking about it, I realized it was the way the doors latch and striker are mating up. If I hold the handle out and not allow it to latch, the way both doors hit the weather strip is the same. It is very close in sound and feel to the passenger door so I'm not going to mess with it. In the future who would be the best person to take it to for adjustment if it ever needs it? I'm thinking a quality body shop?

LOL, I think I know what you are talking about, I have an 08 Accord, the driver door sounds differently when it's closing.
I found this Honda TSB 09-041:

SYMPTOM
The door sounds hollow or tinny when closing.
PROBABLE CAUSE
The sealant between the door skin and the door beam
has separated at one or more of the glue points.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Remove the old adhesive, and reattach the door
beam
to the door skin at the original glue points.

I didn't fix it, until recently I sound-deadened the Accord, all 4 doors, plus trunk, front kick panel area and rear wheel well, it now runs ever quiter than before...

Last edited:
This sorta goes with what Luk in Toronto said about the Honda TSB. The hot rod guys working with the old Ford bodies from the 30's and 40's era often add the acoustic sound deadening panels that are adhesive on one side. You cut a panel to fit the area , say inside the door, then peel back the adhesive and stick it on. This helps add to the 'chunk' sound by removing the tinny sound of the sheet metal door vibrations. The same panels are also 'heat insulation' , so they often add these same panels under the carpet in the passenger compartment to insulate the passengers from the heat of the engine and trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back