Getting a Ford keypad code

Hope this is helpful to anyone that buys a used Ford with the keypad in the door and they didn't get the code, as I did with my '99 Taurus. The code is supposed to be on a card with the owners manual, but I didn't have that. Or on a sticker taped to a module under the dash. Have that but a piece of black tape covers the last two digits, and pulling the tape off, destroys the sticker. Turns out, a mid level scan tool will display the code, and I got it in 2 minutes. I'm guessing if you took it to a Ford dealer they would charge an hour labor for that.

On the MY2011 models it was on a sticker attached to the bottom front of the gear selector. Had to remove all of the trim to get to it.

Some will display the code on the instrument cluster if you turn the ignition to on with key 1, remove it and turn ignition to on with key 2. This works on my F150 but physical keys are going the way of the dinosaur.

Wow, I always thought they were programmable to whatever code the owner wanted.

You can by using the steps shown below:

Here’s how to program a personalized entry code for convenient access to your vehicle:

• On the keypad, enter the 5-digit, factory-set code that came with your vehicle. (You can find this code printed on the owner's wallet card in the glove compartment.)
  • Within five seconds, press the 1-2 button on the keypad.
  • Enter your desired, new 5-digit code. (You must enter the numbers within five seconds of each other.)
  • Press the 1-2 button on the keypad to save your new personal code.
  • The doors will then lock and unlock to confirm that you've successfully programmed your new code.

I can pull the code most of the time using FORScan. All you need is a $60 dongle (you can find cheaper compatible ones) and the free software.

It's engraved on the GEM on Taurus/Sable
It was on a sticker on the fuse box on my Milan
FORScan only told me the P.Os custom PIN, not the factory one
Your mileage may vary

Back