Get your physicals done people

Being at a healthy weight is probably the easiest thing you can do and control for you overall health yet so many do NOT understand or underestimate how important it is. 300,000 people die yearly to obesity and issues that are directly related to it.

My mitral valve is leaky. Might need replacement in the future but nothing critical now. My MIL had a stent put in two weeks ago. All went well. They usually keep her overnight for a stent but given the state of things, they sent her home a few hours after the surgery. It's amazing what they can do with minimal invasion.

I had some outpatient "major" robotic assisted surgery for hernia repair. I was shocked how professional and fantastic the hospital was. I expected good care. I received exemplary care.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave123
Being at a healthy weight is probably the easiest thing you can do and control for you overall health yet so many do NOT understand or underestimate how important it is. 300,000 people die yearly to obesity and issues that are directly related to it.

True.

But even skinny have heart problems that need to be addressed and are in the Cath Lab all the time for stents.

You are really lucky you did not have a clot...most likely you would not have made it....miracles do happened, glad they fixed it.

things the VA does for us, physicals and blood work ups and eye exams every 12 months is my schedule. xrays when needed

but at the moment all blood work has stopped because of the virus and if your not sick but need to speak to your doctor we do it by video appointments,,,

BeerCan, I'm glad they found your cardiac problem before it could take you out. Regular physical exams are important but unfortunately, tests like angiograms that are required to diagnose a clogged artery are not routine and you have to be vigilant and be on the lookout for symptoms that a doctor would not know about unless you bring them up. Cardiac disease is a silent killer. Too many people are in denial and ignore symptoms. I wish you a speedy recovery. You may want to change your forum name to one that outwardly projects a more healthy image!

They couldn't get a stent through. I'm dodging a coronary bypass with meds, diet and exercise. I stopped smoking 18mos ago. I've been more diet conscious. Less sugar and fats more salads.I've lost 34lbs since I started the Cardio rehab exercise program extended with a treadmill. Latest was to switch to decaff. My precious black cold brewed ambrosia is a vaso constrictor. My goal is to keep myself going long enough to see my 6 mo grandson graduate from high school. I'm back on vitamins etc too. When I started this,climbing the stairs would leave me gasping. Now i go up and downstairs without trouble. I've been pecking away at building a scaffold from which to replace roof shingles on the addition. One more brace and the platform for the hoist will be finished. I don't intend to carry the shingles up a 20' ladder
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by BeerCan
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Luckily you caught it early.

How old are you ?

54. Not very old for this issue I think.

Strangely I was in the pediatric ICU and recovery wing. My next door neighbor was an infant that had heart surgery. I was the one crying in pain and that kid was just trucking along.

Ahh that's not unusual...

My step father had atrial fibrillation and open heart surgery not too much past your age....

I'm glad you are getting there and better...

Takes time though man...

And........ Drink your water.... Seriously... Helps maintain your blood pressure...

15 mL per pound of body weight... Per day.

My doc retired to stay home with his kids, and I transferred into his wife's practice. They are both GPs. Having a terrible time regulating my blood pressure. She wants to see me every 90 days until we get this sorted out. Finally got it down to 140-80, but I'm FREEZING all the time. I have an ugly history in my family with cardiac gremlins, and at 53 years old I'm no different.

Don't think that only chubby people have heart issues either...a former coworker of mine is in his early 40s, 5 ft 7, 140 lbs soaking wet, lives on energy drinks and nicotine, was vacationing in FL a couple of months ago, and wound up having a heart attack. Needed a quad bypass and got stuck in FL for a month before he could even fly home. He joked that he expected ME to be the one going down with a heart attack, not him.

Well kind of decent news today. So for reference I had my surgery at Mayo in Minnesota but I live in Tampa FL.

I'm supposed to be in a cardiac rehab program here in Tampa but of course it's closed.

I guess Mayo realized this was happening and they created a new program, cardiac rehab over the phone. I start next Monday I think, it lasts 16 weeks or until my rehab opens.

I'm really intrigued by this and looking forward to see what exactly we'll be doing.

Our clinic has canceled all wellness check-ups until the current crisis is over. We now have three Covid-19 cases, none in the hospital and no deaths.Ordered groceries online from HyVee and picked up order this AM. Went well. Only two scratches and one substitution. Stay safe BITOGs and fellow Americans.

Been doing some rehab on my own because of the closure. Today I walked 4 miles non stop at a 18 minute pace. Pretty happy with that.

My goal is to make it to the pizza place near my house. Will probably be 10 miles or more round trip but I have nothing else to do. 🥴. Plus I'll get a slice half way through, that will be a great reward ...

Last edited:
I got a A1C blood test yesterday but rest of physical was postponed a month or two.

The lady asked if I had fasted (no) and did I have anything to eat for breakfast with sugar (no). I said I thought A1C was avg for past 60 to 90 days. She said something like it depends. In reality fasting makes no difference nor does what I had for breakfast. So the lady knows how to draw blood and process it but not the medical details of the tests.

Schedule them a few months out, no sense in exposing yourself to any healthcare workers right now. Don't want that C-word.

Back