Germany's Open Speed Limits Upheld

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source: AutoBlog.com (http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/06/g...limits-upheld/)

"The days of unrestricted speeds on portions of Germany's autobahn may be numbered, but they will continue for at least the immediate future, thanks to their plucky Chancellor. The lucky souls who have a valid passport, a current license, a capable car and the will to challenge themselves will be able to do so without legal entanglements a bit longer.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel just added her support to legal measures that will help keep the country's autobahnen free of speed limits, Greenies be ****ed! OK, she didn't go that far, but Merkel's support was unflagging even against European Union criticism that Germany could do a little lot more in the fight against harmful automotive emissions. The unrestricted autobahn has been seen as a poster child for what's wrong with the automotive world by some environmentalists.

EU environmental commissioner, Stavros Dimas, had sought German support over the weekend, but Merkel rebuffed him. Dimas wanted Germany to lead the charge toward a green future, after last week's publication of climate change findings by the UN cited While explaining that German policy already supports environmental movements, she reinforced the German automakers' claims that unrestricted speed testing is what assures the high level of engineering that makes them the best in the world at speed. "If we no longer had to engineer our cars to satisfy their potential top speed, there would suddenly be a fundamental change in the way we go about our business," a high-ranking BMW insider told Inside Line.

It seems to be only a matter of time, however, before EU pressure eventually gets the better of the Germany, so we support IL's call to get yourself to Germany before it's too late. Some of the lucky AB staffers headed to Geneva might just get a chance to experience the thrill for themselves"

For people here who buy Germans car and understand the design that goes into them...I can only suspect that the glory days of the Autobahn won't be around a whole lot longer. I wonder if BMW, MBZ, Porsche, etc. would build cars to the degree they have if there is no need to test for safety at super high speeds or have high speed stability or strong brakes, etc. Not to mention the Autobahn is safer than our own US freeways.

To me that whole culture behind the German automobile is so fascinating as I personally believe it's on a level beyond other manufacturers due to their country's freeway system, as there is no need for most companies to build cars with engines designed to sit near redline for long periods of time or take brutal impacts at high speeds or actually be fun to drive, etc. Hopefully in my lifetime it will stay around!

Last edited:
Germany has better driver training, better-made cars, and better-made highways, all for the privilege of having stretches of highways where they can go as fast as conditions permit. If they have miles of open road ahead of them, they can cover that distance as quickly as makes them comfortable. They should be seen as a MODEL of how things should be.

I guess for me this falls into the "Who really cares" catagory. But the idea of unlimited speeds in even limited public areas where a crash can lead to a very high death rate (possibly to innocent bystanders) just seems wrong and unjustified.

And this is ludicrous: "she reinforced the German automakers' claims that unrestricted speed testing is what assures the high level of engineering that makes them the best in the world at speed. "If we no longer had to engineer our cars to satisfy their potential top speed, there would suddenly be a fundamental change in the way we go about our business," a high-ranking BMW insider told Inside Line."
smirk.gif

I care, because I like to drive very fast.
smile.gif

I don't claim driving that fast makes a whole lot of sense or that it can't be risky, but the safety issue is not as big as you might think. I feel much safer going 130 mph on the Autobahn than going 75 mph on a freeway.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn

Quote:

The overall safety record of autobahns is comparable to other European motorways, and motorways are safer than other road types. A 2005 study by the Federal Minister of the Interior indicated that there were an equal number of accidents per kilometer on the autobahn in sections without any speed limits.

Quote:

I guess for me this falls into the "Who really cares" catagory. But the idea of unlimited speeds in even limited public areas where a crash can lead to a very high death rate (possibly to innocent bystanders) just seems wrong and unjustified.

In 2000 miles of driving in Germany, I saw at most 3 accidents.

One day I left home to go to work and saw 3 accidents in 15 miles. As far as the speeds that everyone was going, it took an hour for me to go those 15 miles.

Conclusion #1. German drivers > Northern VA drivers.

Conclusion #2. Speed doesn't kill, stupidity and inattention does.

I bet a lot fewer police are killed on the autobahn, per km. I see those poor souls standing at the side of the roads here, issuing speeding tickets, wearing totally black clothing...

Quote:

And this is ludicrous: "she reinforced the German automakers' claims that unrestricted speed testing is what assures the high level of engineering that makes them the best in the world at speed. "If we no longer had to engineer our cars to satisfy their potential top speed, there would suddenly be a fundamental change in the way we go about our business," a high-ranking BMW insider told Inside Line."
smirk.gif

This thread was not obviously for you. If you don't even understand the R&D that goes into Germans cars purely due to the Autobahn then don't embarass yourself with stating things such as "ludicrous" and rolling your eyes.

The design of cars and the Autobahn is deeply rooted into the German culture and scoffing at it is just demonstrates the "Ugly American." I personally find it interesting to learn about cultures and the ways they work and suprise suprise some places are more capable than US. You give off the attitude that if it's not done here then obviously it must not matter elsewhere, pathetic.

Last edited:
Quote:

No deer to worry about over in Germany??

Usually there are fences around the Autobahn in areas where there are deer. We have often tunnels for deer and sometimes even for migrating frogs and toads under the Autobahn. Deer is more of an issue when driving in wooded areas at night and in the early morning on country roads where the speed limit is 100 km/h (62 mph).

Once I saw a BMW run over a dead badger that was frozen to the Autobahn. A total loss...
shocked.gif

That is my experience here as well. Deer are far more likely to be seen on a secondary road with little traffic than they are to be seen on, for example, I95.

Many people do not realize that if you have an accident (and live) at speeds above recommended ones on "limitless" ones you are liable and responsible if an accident occurs.

Quote:

Many people do not realize that if you have an accident (and live) at speeds above recommended ones on "limitless" ones you are liable and responsible if an accident occurs.

What I mean is insurance does not cover you if your above recommended limits.

[quote This thread was not obviously for you. If you don't even understand the R&D that goes into Germans cars purely due to the Autobahn then don't embarass yourself with stating things such as "ludicrous" and rolling your eyes.

The design of cars and the Autobahn is deeply rooted into the German culture and scoffing at it is just demonstrates the "Ugly American." I personally find it interesting to learn about cultures and the ways they work and suprise suprise some places are more capable than US. You give off the attitude that if it's not done here then obviously it must not matter elsewhere, pathetic.

Get over yourself already. Its an opinion..get it? As an engineer I am aware of R&D but usually that falls into the "Research and Development" phase of product development having an axle fall off on the Autobohn isn't an R&D event.

And also funny that German Vehicles seem to hit the "Dead Last" in Reliability here in the States. Perhaps their vehicles only hold up well at 150 mph.

Or perhaps they only hold up well with owners that recognize that you need to maintain your car to be safe at high speeds.

Quote:

Lets do away with speed in Germany, guns in the U.S., and the world will be so perfect Heaven won't be needed.

Bob

The Second Amendment of the German Constitution says "The right of the People to drive as fast as they safely can, shall not be infringed."
wink.gif

Quote:

Its an opinion..get it? As an engineer I am aware of R&D but usually that falls into the "Research and Development" phase of product development having an axle fall off on the Autobohn isn't an R&D event.

Actually, Al, this latest attempt of pushing a general speed limit was in fact due to a test driver causing a high speed accident on an Autobahn. German car makers do test their cars under real word driving conditions and *gasp* accidents do happen.

I hate to say this, but it's been said to me often, so I'll say it now: if you have no first hand knowledge about something, you can't really make a relevant comment and your opinion is just that -- another opinion, based not in reality but on perception and misconception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back