German Castrol vs Edge? Group III / IV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently running the black bottle edge 0w40 A3B4 in my Nissan VQ40DE and I've been looking at the German Castrol threads on here and my 0w40 is (according to the bottle) Made in Germany. From what I've read, the big fanfare of GC is it's Group IV basestock, does anybody know if the Black Bottle Edge is a Group IV or is it just the 0w30 stuff?
My truck calls for 5w30 SN (not GF-5) but I run the 40 grade due to driving habits and towing
Also, would going back down to the GC 0w30 grade reduce protection if the Edge 0w40 grade is a group III and the 0w30 is a Group IV/PAO?
EDIT: My truck also likes to shear oil like crazy, only UOA I've done had PP 5w30 sheared to "The low end of a 20 grade specification" after 55xx miles. I wish I still had the UOA to post specs. This is another reason I have bumped up to the 40 grade

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NissanHauler
I'm currently running the black bottle edge 0w40 A3B4 in my Nissan VQ40DE and I've been looking at the German Castrol threads on here and my 0w40 is (according to the bottle) Made in Germany. From what I've read, the big fanfare of GC is it's Group IV basestock, does anybody know if the Black Bottle Edge is a Group IV or is it just the 0w30 stuff?
Both 0w-30 and 0w-40 are group IV based, if you care about this sort of stuff.

Quote:
Also, would going back down to the GC 0w30 grade reduce protection if the Edge 0w40 grade is a group III and the 0w30 is a Group IV/PAO?

Even though one is 0w-30 and the other is 0w-40, they are pretty close to each other as far as operating temp viscosity goes. If there is a difference in protection, good luck being able to actually measure it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back