German Castrol replacement

I think there was some manufacturing plant re-shuffling in europe, and what used to be German Castrol, is now Belgian Castrol. Both are mostly PAO based as I recall, because of stricter euro labeling requirements. I do not remember the exact details, but recall something like to be labelled fully synthetic in Europe (or Germany, I forget) it cannot be made of group 3. Someone please correct me if have better info.

As far as I know, it is not possible to source German Castrol any more, because the new stock is made in Belgium now. So if you catch a bottle that says German made, it must be NOS. The 0w40 m1 is a good oil, mostly GTL based, with some PAO.

I've been running GC 0W30 and then Belgian Castrol 0W30 for years in my cars, but my stash is now gone. What would be the best replacement for it?
I was in Walmart looking for oils which doesn't have "Resource Conserving" label, and that's what I found there:
Castrol Edge 0W40 made in Belgium
Castrol Edge 5W30 made in Austria
Castrol Edge 5W40 made in USA
Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 made in USA
Mobil 1 0W40 made in USA
Shell Rotella T6 5W40, 15W40 (those are popular for use in motorcycles)
BC 0w-30 still exists at walmart.com

Castrol 0W30 and 0W40 are basically the same oils base stock wise.
You can still get 0W30 at Advance Auto Parts on sale for $33 for 5qt plus filter (I got 10qt in January).

Castrol 0W40 is a bit thicker with higher HTHS than M1 0W40.
Believe it. Though I don't remember seeing its spec info. Can you hyperlink to some?

Potentially, I'd like to run it as my really cold (-20 to -35 deg F) winter oil. I've thought about it, but haven't done it yet. Thanks

Last edited:
Believe it. Though I don't remember seeing its spec info. Can you hyperlink to some?

Potentially, I'd like to run it as my really cold (-20 to -35 deg F) winter oil. I've thought about it, but haven't done it yet. Thanks
You can find their MSDS. Both are probably around 50% PAO based on really low pour point (-60c). In MSDS it states for both 25-50% PAO. But based on PDS, I would say those oils are very close chemistry wise.

You can find their MSDS. Both are probably around 50% PAO based on really low pour point (-60c). In MSDS it states for both 25-50% PAO. But based on PDS, I would say those oils are very close chemistry wise.
10-4.

I am guessing this is a darn good deal????

Only $2 more than the top SuperTech....

yq7kNXI.png

That is around the price I buy the Belgian Castrol at my local Walmart. Where was it made? If it is Belgium,
then it is PAO based, otherwise who knows.
The "European formula" label does not necessarily indicate what base stock they used,
this could be referencing the additive package.

Yeah, its Belgium.

Just ordered two jugs with free shipping.... My FJ takes 5.5 quarts, so I need to find a single quart somewhere for two oil changes.

Are these 0w40s filled with polymers?
What do you know about different types of viscosity index improvers and how the different ones respond to mechanical shear, if that is even a problem in the first place?

Rather than just asking if they are "filled with polymers." Most 0W-40 oils have Porsche A40 approval, is that a worry for Porsche?

My simple understanding, correct me if I am wrong:
One advantage of high quality, synthetic base stocks is being able to avoid using an excessive amount of viscosity modifiers. (the "polymers" you are referring to). The synthetic base stocks are naturally multi-viscous so they do not
need as much of them "polymers" as a lesser base stock based oil would. That is why these oils are often recommended for extended OCI European cars.

Back