Geomagnetic Storm Warning

Well, this will be interesting, waiting to see if anything happens :D
This is the reason I posted the thread:

I don’t foresee anything happening close to this event listed. This storm wasn’t large enough for me to receive an operating instruction from my RC (which has happened twice since’16) but similar sized events have caused damage to grids in Sweden & South Africa over the last few years.

I started my career as an Electrical Engineer specializing in power transmission and distribution in an oil refinery. Most trip outs of circuits I experienced were not due to actual faults, but due to malfunctioning protective relays. The more you wanted to protect a circuit from damage to a fault, the less reliable it became due to false trips. So, the best engineering practice, where it was critical that the power "stay on", you had the fewest and often least sophisticated protective relays, to avoid instances of false trip outs.
Agreed that protection relays can be fickle. On the larger BES system, the impedance settings for distance detection are heavily studied to pinpoint fault locations now. We also can’t allow live power lines to remain under a faulted condition as has been experienced in the past, especially on the distribution system.

The SEL relays have solved several reliability problems the older GE solid state relays experienced. Hell, years ago when I was still a plant operator, my employer ripped out all the GE solid state relays in our entire fleet & replaced them with electromechanical relays due to the sensitivity issues with the GE solid state units.

As an operator though, the GE units interface on the faceplate was much friendlier than the new SEL’s.

Well I just learned way more than I can comprehend. I always knew about sunspots and solar storms impacting life on Earth but never knew the data. Interesting.

Just saw this on FB.

IMG_0096.jpeg

I just booked a flight to Edmonton with my daughters, day trip (technically midnight to morning) and back. Was going to find a time that will be good and take a couple days off to go to Fairbank but just found out this storm over the weekend, so we are heading out tonight / tomorrow night.

Fairbank is too far and expensive flight, Chicago may be unreliable, so middle of nowhere it is and Edmonton, Calgory, or Yellowknift. Edmonton seems to have the shortest flight and best weather and still reasonable price.

Back