generator

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Originally Posted by cpayne5
During outages, I usually use two generators.

One is a 3250 watt Powermate with a Honda GX240 clone. I use it to power lights, the fridges, and a space heater if it's cold out.

The second generator is a 7500 watt Ariens with a real Honda GX390. I use this one to power all of the above and also the well pump or hot water heater as needed.

The Powermate uses considerably less fuel and is quieter, so it is the one that sits there and putters away most of the time during outages.

This. Those 8000/9000 watt units are overkill and are running at 10-15% load most of the time, wasting huge amounts of fuel.

I've lived in Florida for 30 years and have been without power for probably 3-4 months of that due to hurricanes. The most important feature I've learned to love is fuel efficiency. It can be hard to store fuel, and get more fuel, in an outage. Try to get 15-40 gallons of fuel a day; a terrible proposition.

You can power most everything you need in the house on a 2200/2800 watt Honda inverter. These inverter generators will even power a window ac unit in the summer, so you can rather cheaply keep at least one room of the house comfortable, for a lot less money than running the whole house AC.

Were it MY HOUSE, I'd get the 2800 Honda inverter for $999. And then a cheapy Harbor Freight 8750 watt for those time you want to run the water heater or AC/heat pump.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-2...rizontal2_rr-_-206192156-_-303793554-_-N
https://www.harborfreight.com/engin...i-with-gfci-outlet-protection-63085.html

I keep 30 gal of gas on hand all the time. If need be I could power my house for a week on that much fuel If I manage the generator wisely, and run it only 12 hrs a day.

I think i'm going to get the small 3500 watt unit for now, and replace the 8000 unit later. 2 generators is not a bad idea. I'll see how the little 3500 does. I can keep the 8000/10000 for a while to back up using the washer and dryer in an extended outage.

Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by Astro_Guy

Might as well get as much run time as possible in case of and extended outage, but its tough to compare.
For what it is worth, I run two refrigerators, one 15 cubic foot freezer, the blowers and ignitors for the gas hot water heater, furnace and kitchen stove, the dishwasher, an outlet in the powder room so the misses can use her hair drier, and the 1/2 HP garage door opener on a 3500 watt Champion. For extended outages we run a cord over to the neighbors for their refrigerator. Naturally not all of this is starting or running simultaneously. My generator consumes 4 gallons every 12 hours at 50% load. I think bubbatime is on the right track. Save your 8000/10,000 unit for the day when you have a new A/C that it can handle.

I hate to say it but the lowest fuel consumption generator that is 240v that i can find is an HF 3500 watt unit. It claims 16h run time on 4 gallons.

Why would you hate that.

I hated the idea of an HF generator, but it fits my needs, and the reviews are limited but good.

Last edited:
Let us know what oil you go with after the break-in run.

Got it yesterday. Ran it for about 30 minutes on some 30wt i had in the garage. Since its cooler i will change that to some amsoil HDD 5-30 i have in the garage. In the spring i will go with amsoil AME high tbn ( 12.1) 15w-40 diesel oil and run that from then on.

Got it yesterday. Ran it for about 30 minutes on some 30wt i had in the garage. Since its cooler i will change that to some amsoil HDD 5-30 i have in the garage. In the spring i will go with amsoil AME high tbn ( 12.1) 15w-40 diesel oil and run that from then on.
How is the noise level? Did you confirm that it would run your well pump?

How is the noise level? Did you confirm that it would run your well pump?

Not yet, The instuctions were to run it for an hour at no load and change oil. I ran it but ran out of time to change oil and test. I will not have time until wed morning. I want to put a dvm on it and measure before connecting it to the house. It should run it fine. If my well pump won't run with a 3500 watt gen, I have a problem! But I will test it all wed and see if I can run the furnace and well pump together. On paper I should have no problem.

It is so much quieter than my v-twin generator, its rated at 70db.

Tested it today. 117 volts on the wall type outlet. 123v on each leg of the 240v. I turned my well pump off and ran the house on the little 3500 generator. I had 2 full size refridgerators, and the furnace running with some lights on in the kitchen and garage ( all my lights are led). I ran the water down so the pump would cycle and flipped the switch. I definatly lugged it for a moment as the well pump started, but it ran fine. So i think this will work well for basic power. I have never been that big a fan of HF stuff, but its not bad.

It does have low oil shut off, and a fuel cutoff valve to the carb. I ran it an hour and then changed the oil to amsoil hdd i had in the garage.

Here are some pics. Its much smaller than my other generator.

DSC05765.JPG

DSC05766.JPG

DSC05767.JPG

DSC05768.JPG

DSC05769.JPG

DSC05770.JPG

Thanks for sharing. I realized that a generator would be a good idea shortly after hurricane Sandy in 2012. My thoughts on this quickly solidified around two options: full house with automatic transfer or a portable minimalist survival system. Like you I chose the minimal approach with a 3500 Watt gas powered portable. That generator has been called upon numerous times since then, and I am certainly glad to have it. Feed yous with quality oils, gasoline treated for Ethanol, and perhaps an Iridium spark plug when the spirit moves you. Run it 10 minutes every 1-2 months, and 20 minutes under load every six months. Change the oil every 50 hours or two years, and you should be a happy camper.

Funny you mention spark plugs, it has some kind of torch f6tc spark plug. Online that crosses to a ngk BP6ES. I think i may change that out in case the chinese plug is flaky. Don't want something like a cheap spark plug to keep it from running when i need it.

EDIT: It looks like and iridium ngk BPR6EIX is a cross. same threads , projection and heat range. Its a resistor as the BP6es is not. Might try that.

Last edited:
Funny you mention spark plugs, it has some kind of torch f6tc spark plug. Online that crosses to a ngk BP6ES. I think i may change that out in case the chinese plug is flaky. Don't want something like a cheap spark plug to keep it from running when i need it.

EDIT: It looks like and iridium ngk BPR6EIX is a cross. same threads , projection and heat range. Its a resistor as the BP6es is not. Might try that.
If it makes you feel any better, my 3500 Watt Champion with 196cc Chonda came with a Torch F6RTC. I replaced that after 5-1/2 years with the NGK BPR6EIX you are contemplating. We've had one 8-hour run under load since then. Nothing to complain about so far.

My Champion ran better when I switched out the torch plug with an NGK. I would do that ASAP.

I have the 3200 predator. It likes the ngk iridium plug. I think it does a bit better on gas now. The torch that came installed had a cracked insulator.

These little predator generators are great value. Ran mine for 26hr straight after hurricane Michael and it never missed a beat. Ran 2 refrigerators, one full size chest freezer, 4 fans, charged phones and tablets, and ran my breathing machine. Used a bit over 6ga of gas. Very pleased. I just need to buy a wheel kit.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Wow that 18HP Vanguard is a beast. I cant even imagine how much fuel that thing uses.

It was almost a gallon an hour. Now it will power almost every thing. Sucker has like 6 circuit breaker resets. With hurricane michael i was running my oven and the rest of the house while washing clothes!

It won't start my 4ton ac unit. But it will run my whole house including my cook top and it never really lugs.

I have never replaced the battery on it either. I just pull start it. You need a good arm for it!!!

The new little generator is only about 100lbs, that 18hp vanguard is over 200lbs!! EDIT I looked it up , its 290lbs!!!

Trying to decide if i want to replace the big generator as well. I would like to have big power to run the washer and dryer/ cooktop oven if needed. Not sure if its worth it as the big one runs fine, but it is over 20 years old.

I'm still looking at the westinghouse generators , they do seem to have good reviews, and they all seem to advertise low THD if that matters a lot.

Last edited:
Those old vanguards are good engines. We had one(i think the 16 hp version) on a pressure washer. I'd keep that generator if it works fine.

Originally Posted by hatt
Those old vanguards are good engines. We had one(i think the 16 hp version) on a pressure washer. I'd keep that generator if it works fine.

It runs great. Just concerned with age. But at least I now have a backup for basic power.

Old school generators aren't too complex. Stay on top of maintenance and test it on a regular basis should be fine. It's your backup nice to have generator anyway. Something can break on a brand new gen too(Murphy's law).

Power is out here due to the ice, freezing rain. On the small generator now. Its doing fine. Glad i got a smaller one, as some times i can take a few days to get it back on.

Power is out here due to the ice, freezing rain. On the small generator now. Its doing fine. Glad i got a smaller one, as some times i can take a few days to get it back on.
Sorry to hear that your power is out. Could you share some real world fuel consumption data if it stays out for a while?

Power is out here due to the ice, freezing rain. On the small generator now. Its doing fine. Glad i got a smaller one, as some times it can take a few days to get it back on.
Sorry to hear that your power is out. Could you share some real world fuel consumption data if it stays out for a while?

Certainly!

Last edited:
Back