Generator storage & Maintenance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
regarding the storage, i heard on the radio today that some **** stole some guys generator and left a running lawn mower in its place. so store it at least out of sight.

i don't believe in stabil anymore, not with 10% ethanol gas. 2 years in a row using it in the boats and the carbs would foul beginning of next season. on my newer carb on my 4-cyl which is easy to pull the top cover off, I had rust spots and corrosion in the bowl. The ethanol pulls in the moisture, the gas separates, and you get contamination in the bowl. Any steel parts in the carb will rust and that will wash off as sediment and foul the carb. Had that happen very often on an old snowblower which had steel welch plugs. I found the best approach on small engines is to get the gas out of the carb, and if possible spray something oily into the bowl and through main jet and idle circuit to coat the inside of the carb and prevent any funk from happening.

Originally Posted By: FNFAL308
Propane is a POOR fuel source for these units.. Run times are diminished considerably when measured hour per gal.

Propane has less btu's per gallon so yes, you'll use a bit more fuel. Still, the pro's outweigh the cons. Fuel storage is a non-issue. It won't gum up the carb, period.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1 FMF
regarding the storage, i heard on the radio today that some **** stole some guys generator and left a running lawn mower in its place. so store it at least out of sight.

i don't believe in stabil anymore, not with 10% ethanol gas. 2 years in a row using it in the boats and the carbs would foul beginning of next season. on my newer carb on my 4-cyl which is easy to pull the top cover off, I had rust spots and corrosion in the bowl. The ethanol pulls in the moisture, the gas separates, and you get contamination in the bowl. Any steel parts in the carb will rust and that will wash off as sediment and foul the carb. Had that happen very often on an old snowblower which had steel welch plugs. I found the best approach on small engines is to get the gas out of the carb, and if possible spray something oily into the bowl and through main jet and idle circuit to coat the inside of the carb and prevent any funk from happening.

Thus running the engine on 2 cycle fuel for 5 minutes.

Pulled the hose off the carb , turned on the valve , and let the gas drain into a 5 gallon plastic gas can . Sure is a slow flow . Gave up after 1/2 an hour or so . Plan to get longer hose for that purpose . Had the generator on outdoor storage unit at waist level and held the gas can below with end of hose into the opening of gas container . Will do the same , but will have longer hose so can set gas can on ground with the hose in its mouth and let it drain on it's own .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
[/quote]

Thus running the engine on 2 cycle fuel for 5 minutes.

if it works for you, great.

does not work for me between a 2-stroke toro snowblower and a handful of carbureted outboards.

"Thus running the engine on 2 cycle fuel for 5 minutes."

Is the above comment suppose to imply that running two cycle mix in a four stroke is a problem?

If it is, the person who posted it is very much misinformed.

I have run four cycle engines on two cycle mix numerous times with NO negative consequences. As a matter of fact, I keep my old Tecumseh powered four stroke lawn mower in my garage at the camp and straight gas in a nearby storage shed. If it runs out of fuel down by the boat/fish shed, it get's two cycle fuel that keep there for my two cycle water pump and outboards. Been doing it for close to twenty years. You cannot tell the difference which fuel it is burning. It runs just as well and doesn't even smoke!

no, i think we are referring to putting a carburetor into storage for a period of time.
for a 4-stroke gas engine people will run some fuel through it with a 50:1 or whatever mix of 2-cycle oil... fuel you would normally run on a 2-stroke engine. but the purpose is that the 50:1 mix (the 2-cycle oil) will coat the internals of the carb and prevent corrosion and problems when in storage. I am saying that does not work for me. plenty of people with 2-stroke outboards have carb problems the beginning of each season from not properly putting them into storage in the fall. I suppose there are times where the 2-stroke oil method of storage is successful, probably if your stuff is stored in your garage or not outside. my junk toro snowblower sits outside.

Two cycle oil in the fuel will do nothing to prevent water in the fuel from causing corrosion within the carb. Water is heavier than gas and oil. It will make it's way to the bottom of the float bowl and, if it get's enough oxygen, will cause corrosion.

I drain fuel from the carbs on my equipment for off season and/or long term storage. Works for me.

Got 3/16" fuel line from A.A.P. for $2.99 and pulled the line from the shutoff valve with it set to OFF postion and slipped on the longer line placing the other end into a 5 gallon gas container placed on the ground below and the generator sitting on a 3 foot high storage unit . Turnd on the valve and let it drain while mowing . Put line to carb back onto valve set to the OFF postion and then started generator until it ran out . Tank looks to be very dry . Gravity is a wonderful thing .

Last edited:
I have four generators and so they sit alot between uses. Since I have started using Sea Foam instead of Stabil(I had problems with stabil too). I have not had to remove one carb and clean the jets. I use it one ounce to one gallon. I use it in all my equipment from the quads to the chainsaws. Although a little exspensive and it adds to the already high price of gas. I add it as soon as I get home to the can and its been over a year without any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back