Gas in oil

Got a nice 20HP late production model 46 BS opposed for a tractor I have. (these were only made until mid 02).
Everything went well but the carb had a stuck float and let a bit of gas in. Only ran like this a minute till it stopped, there was gas in the air filter housing.

Engine runs nice and strong, lots of compression. Using PP HM 5W30, that is what I had on hand.

I believe a bit of gas got into the oil, it has a slight odor. The level is the same. I let it run a few minutes after fixing the carb issue.
Wondering if I should change the oil from this. My neighbor said he would leave it, not any worse than your average DI car.

Will do. The oil that came out was a bit black so this can be a flush. Have an hour meter and will do 25 hr OCI. This engine runs too nice to risk. Really pulls the tractor hard.

What is the best oil for this engine? The small engine repair place here said any top tier 5 or 10W -30 synth(he fills with Rotella 10W-30 synth) for a homeowner.
They fill with Rotella 15W40 for commercial used over two hours every day
sometimes 15W50 for very severe use. (Briggs actually makes an oil with this viscosity).

He said he repowered a zero turn with my engine and it gets T6, it is used commercially.

He said 30 wt is good too but if its cold it can be bad for the engine. He said a splash lubed engine like the opposed benefits from a bit thinner at startup.

Will do. The oil that came out was a bit black so this can be a flush. Have an hour meter and will do 25 hr OCI. This engine runs too nice to risk. Really pulls the tractor hard.

What is the best oil for this engine? The small engine repair place here said any top tier 5 or 10W -30 synth(he fills with Rotella 10W-30 synth) for a homeowner.
They fill with Rotella 15W40 for commercial used over two hours every day
sometimes 15W50 for very severe use. (Briggs actually makes an oil with this viscosity).

He said he repowered a zero turn with my engine and it gets T6, it is used commercially.

He said 30 wt is good too but if its cold it can be bad for the engine. He said a splash lubed engine like the opposed benefits from a bit thinner at startup.
I run F&F 5w40 HDEO in all my OPE. I might change to the new Super Tech 15w40 synthetic when my current stash is gone.

Just my $0.02

Slowly swapping all of mine OPE to 5w-40 or 15w-40. A 5w should work for you just fine in the cold for startup. Most of these were spec'd for 30 mono grade for how many decades. I think a 5w-40 would be an all year lubricant that would excel.

Back