GearWrenches???

Status
Not open for further replies.
We haven't talked tools here for some time. What's everyone take on GearWrench ratcheting combination wrenches?

I have a modest collection of standard combination wrenches and socket sets and seem to get my DIY projects done o.k..

The cons of the GearWrenches, to me, seem that they have larger box heads, maybe affecting access/clearance?? And, because shaving a few minutes off a job in not important to me, it seems they would be redundant to my other wrenches.

Box head styles....zero offset, reversible 15 degree offset, and flex head??? Any opinions and experience?? I am interested in the flex heads because they would be different than my standard combination wrenches and still get the ratcheting action.

Thanks

I've got a metric and standard set of the Duralast flex-head ratcheting wrenches and I love them. Originally, these were a fairly expensive set but I got them while they were blowing out the combo sets a year or so ago. I paid 50 bucks for about 16 wrenches. These are a nice looking chrome moly set.

I really haven't noticed the box heads being THAT much larger. These have come in handy several times on those long bolts where I don't have the clearance to use a regular ratches. I think these should have a place in every wrenchers tool set.

I have a metric set of the flex head ratching gear wrentch brand (lifetime warranty) as well as a standard set of Racteting snap on and the gear wrentches do just as well as my snap ons

I haven't used the GearWrench brand but I did use a set of armstrong ratcheting head wrenches for industrial work and I thought they were great. If I didn't already have 2 sets of regular combo wrenches at home I'd buy a set.

I have the gearwrench basic rachet kit that has the pass through rachet. I love it for certain things like doing spark plugs.

I also have some of their (metric and standard) reversible racheting box end wrenches. I like the nut cap on the one side that prevents the nut from going through the wrench. Only downside is you can't flip it over.

And I have some of their stubby racheting box end wrenches. Work great for tight places :)

I use the zero offset wrenches everyday and love them although I could often use the 15 degree set. I really have never had a problem with the size of the box end on the zero offset but I have noticed the other types seem to be a little bigger. I originally questioned the durability of them but I haven't broken one yet. I like the short and light swing needed for the ratcheting action.

Bye the way, if you are just wanting to try them out, Ace Hardware often has a set of the 4 most common sizes on sale for $10.

I have seen and heard them discussed on other forums. I am not a professional mechanic. For the amount of wrenching I do, my regular old set of combination wrenches gets the jobs done. One thing I have up graded is my U-joints. I now have at least 2 in every size. They are a big help in wrenching on my BMWs and Grand Wagoneer.

Last edited:
Quote:
For the amount of wrenching I do, my regular old set of combination wrenches gets the jobs done.

That seems to be true for me also. But, in many cases the need/want factor regarding the purchase of tools is not about being practical.

I have two GearWrench socket sets. One set is 1/4" drive, the other is 3/8. Nice chrome, very complete sets. Both sets have standard and deep english and metric.
My friend who sells cornwell tools showed them to me. I think I paid 75 for the 1/4" set and maybe 95 for the 3/8.
I do not have the wrenches, but these socket sets are top notch.

Once you start using Gear Wrenches, you'll use them more and more. Very useful tools!

i originally bought the craftsman gear wrenches but returned them for the Husky brand, only because the craftsman were flat and the husky ones were slightly angled and i didnt want to be rubbing my knuckles on whatever it was i was working on, plus the craftsman you had to take off, flip it over to go the other way, husky just fkip the switch to go the other way

and i agree, once you start using them you WILL use them more often

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
i originally bought the craftsman gear wrenches but returned them for the Husky brand, only because the craftsman were flat and the husky ones were slightly angled and i didnt want to be rubbing my knuckles on whatever it was i was working on, plus the craftsman you had to take off, flip it over to go the other way, husky just fkip the switch to go the other way

Craftsman make that kind too!

must have been the first ones they came out with then several years back, unless i just missed them at sears

I picked up sets of both the metric and SAE GearWrench models when I learned they were on a deep discount at Sears in the last few months.

Since I've had them, I've used them on every job I've done -- my cars, washing machine, air conditioner condenser motor.

I definitely wanted the models that reverse with the lever. I have backed bolts out with a socket and reached an obstruction and had to reverse. If using the wrenches that then couldn't be reversed -- looked to me like a big UH OH. I do have two very old reversible models in the old stacked laminated pattern that work that way.

The newer of my sets is from China. I think the earlier is from Taiwan, but it may be China also. In either case, well made items.

Without a lever to reverse on the wrench, you simply take off the wrench and flip it to the other side 180 deg. Not a big deal at all.
I'm considering the ones without the lever simply b/c its one less thing to possibly break.

Have used and abused them in my repair shop daily since they first hit the market (gear Wrench brand). NOBODY, none of the prestige names build a better quality product. Broke a couple with cheater handles and hammers,etc. Never a problem with free replacement thruogh O Reilly auto parts.

Bob

I have a GearWrench reg. length and a set in Stubby length. I have an attachment that will turn the G/W wrench into a low profile socket, both 1/4" and 3/8" for those limited access situations. But-NYEngineer- what is a G/W 'socket set'? I haven't seen one of those..... For those who like the 15* offset model, look for the type that has a swivel head that can be set at almost any angle. Yes, they are invaluable in those tight places in most newer cars.

To those of you that got these on discount.

Is the 5 piece X-Beam ratcheting wrench set at Advance Auto worth the $29.95? Supposedly that is half price. Or can better deals on fuller sets be had?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back