GearWrenches???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: alreadygone
Have used and abused them in my repair shop daily since they first hit the market (gear Wrench brand). NOBODY, none of the prestige names build a better quality product. Broke a couple with cheater handles and hammers,etc. Never a problem with free replacement thruogh O Reilly auto parts.

Bob

My brother is a full time farmer. I gave him a Gearwrench tool set a few years ago for Christmas. It includes the wrenches, sockets, ratchets, and I think one or two screwdrivers in a set.
I got it at NAPA for $49.
He didn't use it for awhile, but after he got the hang of them, he won't use anything else. He hasn't broke any yet or have any warranty work needed.
I've also had no problems with mine.
I'd recommend them.

The SK and Mac ones are better,splined so you can use them on 4 point,12 point,6 point and the Female torx heads.The SK ratchet wreches hold up and I seen prof of this.Plus the long ratcheting wrenches make great serpentine belt techonior tools.A SK rep came in with his mobile truck and shown one that was bent using a cheater bar,it still worked.

I have a whole set of gear wrench brand wrenches. I use them ALL all of the time. They are great! I finally broke one after 5 years of hard double wrenching for breaking brake bolts loose. No questions asked, warrantied.

Gear wrenches are the best brand and they can take a serious beating. You just have to be careful, I have gotten some stuck in some tight situations since I have the non-reversible ones.

I never thought I'd have Chineese tools in my tool box (ok, ok, I have some cheapo specialty Harbor Freight stuff in my garage, but not in the tool box) until I got the GearWrench wrenches. As far as I'm concerned, they are worth their weight in gold. Except for the shorties. I'm getting older without the massive hand strenght I used to have, and can't get enough torque on them to break loose bolts without straining.

I don't have the switch reversable flex heads, and got myself in trouble once. Removing an air conditioning tower bolt obscured by the power steering pulley, I got it partially loose until the pulley obstructed removing the wrench. Couldn't retighten. Doh! Had to get the pulley remover from HF.

They're not a bad tool for the money, although I do prefer Craftsman tools over them.

AD

I have had a set for several years and had several replaced and now some of those a re bad and others no longer doing well either. I have a Mac set that has not skipped a beat and worth every penny if you use them everyday. I am going to start replacing the KD Gearwrenches with Mac going forward for the other design.

I have a set of Gear Wrench brand Gear Wrenches in standard and stubby lenght. For those who have never tried them, they are very useful in tight spaces where you can't get a ratchet or you can get a reg. wrench on it but cannot move it much. It is also useful where you cannot see the nut or bolt. For example, the EGR valve on my LT1 V8 is on the very back of the intake manifold and jammed up against the firewall. Due to the mushroom shaped EGR, you cannot get a 1/4" ratchet on the two nuts. You can get a reg. wrench on them, but only by feel. Each time you remove and reposition, it is a pain to replace the wrench on the nut. And if you drop the nut it is going to go behind the trans, never to be seen again. The Gear Wrench does this job in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back