Gear oil for heavy hauling

Two good upgrades at the same time!

I use Amsoil SVG in my 4Runner that does (or did) alot of offroading. Always heard great things about it. I feel that gear/trans lubes are one of the things that Amsoil does best.

Nice !! I am here in the cold desolate wasteland of Saskatchewan. I am running Federated Co-op SL 80w140 in mine. I originally bought a 20L pail to use in my long traded off 1500. Since I had plenty left over I have been using it in my 2017 3500. Runs great.

I had looked for the big names like Mobil, Royal Purple and Amsoil but the prices were ridiculous. Depending on your location, you can look at PetroCan gear oils as well. Again, the prices are way better than the rest and they are Canadian made.

Originally Posted by deeter16317
Originally Posted by ib516
Originally Posted by ls1mike
The additive is good stuff, in general I think it is pretty good for and LSD. GM tell you to use the stuff at least in my Trans am. Now I am not sure about the electric locking rear diff.
Does the Dodge have this?

It is a limited slip, but doesn't require any additive as it has no clutches.

While the Dodge spec says it doesn't need LSD additive, that Trac-Rite LSD indeed has clutches. They are termed "shoes" in the IPL and the Trac-Rite will indeed experience LSD clutch chatter.

I have one too (with almost 270k miles on it), trust me; they will get chatter with different fluids.

Check whad LSD you do have. Local dealership said Ram 3/4 and 1 tons use a LSD like the Detroit True-trac which is not supposed to have additive or it hinders the LSD.

Originally Posted by Zaedock
Originally Posted by merdog
Let me know how you like the Amsoil 75w110.

His last post was 8 years ago, so it must have served him well.

Doh!
33.gif

Taken in by an ancient thread resurrection. I usually notice the post dates too...

Spotted a Super Duty today with a Banks rear cover … corner scoops were very noticeable. This was no breaux dozer guy … rancher type with gooseneck and bunch of round bales …

Back