Gear Oil Dilemma: Valvoline or Redline

Doesn't Red Line recommend the 75W90NS for manual transmissions? They claim that the friction modifiers in most GL-5 fluids to help with diff engagement isn't good in transmissions.

Doesn't Red Line recommend the 75W90NS for manual transmissions? They claim that the friction modifiers in most GL-5 fluids to help with diff engagement isn't good in transmissions.

Why are we talking about transmissions now?

Why are we talking about transmissions now?

Sorry. Long day and I missed that part where you were referring to diffs.

For some reason, Red Line sells 75W90 and recommends it for diffs with their diff additive. However, they recommend using 75W90NS and that additive to fine tune the amount of slip for a limited slip diff. Might be worth looking up if that's an issue with your diff.

Sorry. Long day and I missed that part where you were referring to diffs.

For some reason, Red Line sells 75W90 and recommends it for diffs with their diff additive. However, they recommend using 75W90NS and that additive to fine tune the amount of slip for a limited slip diff. Might be worth looking up if that's an issue with your diff.

Mine isn't a limited slip

I've seen it on both a 2006 325xi E90 and 2011 328xi E91 (wagon) that I've done work on.
Do I acutally need to remove that metal plate? I can't find any info on what size socket is needed to remove the bolts.

Do I acutally need to remove that metal plate? I can't find any info on what size socket is needed to remove the bolts.
Yes, you need to remove the metal plate, but it's very easy. It's just a small rectangular plate with 4 bolts holding it, and you don't even need to remove the plastic under shield to take it off.

Yes, you need to remove the metal plate, but it's very easy. It's just a small rectangular plate with 4 bolts holding it, and you don't even need to remove the plastic under shield to take it off.
Alright, thanks. I'm planning to do it next Saturday, and I'll post some pictures.

Use redline gear oil in my manual trans and diff. Smooth and good! Though if you change and service these fluids on time it’s hard to tell the diff (no pun intended).

Alright, thanks. I'm planning to do it next Saturday, and I'll post some pictures.
Here is a pic from Pelican Parts, the silver metal thing is the skid plate. Looks like it has 6 bolts on this car, although the 2006 I worked on most recently could've been missing some bolts haha.

pic03.jpg

I'll see if I can do it without removing it, but I'll remove it if I have to. Thanks for the info.

Here is a pic from Pelican Parts, the silver metal thing is the skid plate. Looks like it has 6 bolts on this car, although the 2006 I worked on most recently could've been missing some bolts haha.

pic03.jpg
Well, I had to remove it

Yeah, it must be removed in order to access the drain plug. I guess you could probably use a suction pump and go through the driver's wheel well to access the fill plug but then you won't get all of the fluid.
I thought about it, but I already removed the splash shield. It took me a good few hours. Rear differential was like 10 mins.

I thought about it, but I already removed the splash shield. It took me a good few hours. Rear differential was like 10 mins.
Yeah it's kind of a pain. I'm glad my car is RWD, less stuff going on in the front. Luckily my friend was helping. I make a deal with my friends that I'll do work on their car as long as they help.

Yeah it's kind of a pain. I'm glad my car is RWD, less stuff going on in the front. Luckily my friend was helping. I make a deal with my friends that I'll do work on their car as long as they help.
Haha, that's nice. When I was younger, my dad would do most of the work, while I would watch. Now, it's beginning to be the other way around, and I'm happy to do the work.

Back