Gear Oil Dilemma: Valvoline or Redline

I was planning on ordering the Red Line 75w-90 GL-5 gear oil for my 2011 328xi BMW. But the Valvoline 75w-90 full synthetic seems to be really good on paper. It seems like everyone uses Red Line in their BMW differentials, so I’ll probably use it

I was planning on ordering the Red Line 75w-90 GL-5 gear oil for my 2011 328xi BMW. But the Valvoline 75w-90 full synthetic seems to be really good on paper. It seems like everyone uses Red Line in their BMW differentials, so I’ll probably use it
You are splitting hairs over your decision. Supertech would be fine too.

You are splitting hairs over your decision. Supertech would be fine too.
Yeah, I know. It’s just that the Valvoline has a lower pour point, higher viscosity index, and it’s cheaper and available locally.

I guess it’s the end performance that matters

Valvoline is available in the easy pour packs, similar to amsoil. That combined with price and ease of purchase at Walmart make it a buy for me.

Valvoline is available in the easy pour packs, similar to amsoil. That combined with price and ease of purchase at Walmart make it a buy for me.
The Valvoline doesn’t specifically state a recommendation for the specification that I need.

either is fine. I like redline products and even I can’t make an argument for their gear oil. Coincidentally I use valvoline gear oil and I have no complaints and neither do my differentials

FWIW I put Mystik JT6 in my Cummins Ram last fall. It is GL5 rated nd was $6/quart at Farm and Fleet. I was using M1 but it was $13/quart! I figured why not save some money and get a product that meets the same requirements...? Just remember outside of BITOG most cars go to the junkyard with the original fluid in vehicle with the exception of engine oil.

Just my $0.02

Well, I just ordered 2 quarts of the Redline 75w-90 GL-5.

I need to change all of the fluids, but I'm really busy in life right now, so I'll change the rest of them during the summer.

Can't go wrong with either one. I have Redline 75w90 in my E90's differential right now, but did a driveline service on a friend's 2006 325xi this weekend using the Valvoline 75w90 synthetic he supplied. The easy-fill bags made the job 100x easier with zero mess. I was amazed how much easier it was and will likely be using Valvoline in the future for differentials just for that reason.

Can't go wrong with either one. I have Redline 75w90 in my E90's differential right now, but did a driveline service on a friend's 2006 325xi this weekend using the Valvoline 75w90 synthetic he supplied. The easy-fill bags made the job 100x easier with zero mess. I was amazed how much easier it was and will likely be using Valvoline in the future for differentials just for that reason.
I didn’t hear about anyone using Valvoline in BMW differential, so I just played it saf with Redline. How hard is it to fill the front differential?

I didn’t hear about anyone using Valvoline in BMW differential, so I just played it saf with Redline. How hard is it to fill the front differential?
Redline is always a safe bet.

It's not too bad, but I highly recommend one of those fluid pumps, as it is next to impossible to get a bottle in there. The good news is that unlike the rear diff, the front has a drain plug. Just remove the metal skid plate (4 bolts) in the front/center of the car, and you can see the drain plug. The fill plug is on the driver side of the differential.

I'd invest in one of these if you don't have one, works great for the diffs:

Redline is always a safe bet.

It's not too bad, but I highly recommend one of those fluid pumps, as it is next to impossible to get a bottle in there. The good news is that unlike the rear diff, the front has a drain plug. Just remove the metal skid plate (4 bolts) in the front/center of the car, and you can see the drain plug. The fill plug is on the driver side of the differential.

I'd invest in one of these if you don't have one, works great for the diffs:

Thanks. Did your friend‘s 3 series have the metal skid plate? I was looking online last nigh, and I was real puzzled. Do you know what size the bolts are?

Thanks. Did your friend‘s 3 series have the metal skid plate? I was looking online last nigh, and I was real puzzled. Do you know what size the bolts are?
Yup, metal skid plate right in the center under the oil pan. It had 4 bolts I believe they were 15mm or 16mm.

Back