GC in a 3.8 Buick Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhi

Group,

I've previously used Mobil 1 10W-30 in my 1987 Buick GN with the 3.8 liter turbo motor. I don't race the car, and it's a "toy" so it only gets used about 1k miles per year (although when it's out, I make sure to get it well warmed up). The car is 90% stock and I change the oil about every 2 years.

What do you think of GC for this application ?

Thanks,
Rich

I'm not too easy about the 2 years thing, but GC seems like a good match for the turbo. If you never really get into it, something cheaper would probably be fine too.

Quote:

I'm not too easy about the 2 years thing

I think two years is just fine, in fact I bet it could go 3 or even 4 with no problem. I did a two year/7600 mile interval with GC in my mom's VW and it did just fine.

What Patman said. I have a VW TDI also, and the filters are rated for 2 years/30 kKm.

Thanks for the input, guys. Sounds like GC with a Delco PF-52 will work just fine for the 2 years/~2k mile OCI I'm anticipating. I'll probably pull a sample for UOA after that and see what shape the oil is in. Since I'm doubting I'll see much in the way of wear metals with this OCI, what parameter would you guys use as an indicator of remaining oil life ? TBN ?

Rich

TBN is definitely one thing to look at, as well as the level of insolubles and the amount of fuel present. What lab will you be using for the UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back