Gatormade Trailers

I looked and did not find any threads on utility trailer brands.. i am in the market so perhaps this will help someone else down the road as well.

Focus is on ball hitch small trailers- 5X 6X 10s, 12s etc.

In my area I have two choices.. big box store versus independent trailer dealers..

Carry On- Sold at Lowes, Tractor Supply, Rural King Seems to be a cheap run of the mill mass produced trailer.

Lone Wolf- Independent dealer- About $500 cheaper than others. I have owned one. It did all that i asked of it but.. it seems that they cut every corner they can to get you the cheapest trailer. Nothing wrong with that though if you like to save money. I had to re-do wiring, tail lights, and gate was clunky. Paint was horrible, jack had issues.

Wesco- Independent Dealer - I currently own one.. and am going to sell it. It was cheap. I dislike everything about it. I have only owned it 6 months and the wiring and tail lights have given me problems, the jack has given me issues as well. One step below Lone Wolf.

Sure Trac- Independent Dealer -The salesman said its the best trailer on the market. And explained why it cost a little more than the others.

Gatormade- Independent Dealer - This is at the same dealer as the Lone Wolf. Its $500 more than the Lone Wolf and he says its worth it.

* $500 better- Led tail lights, Enclosed Tail Lights, Better Gate, maybe tubular frame (dont rememember), Powder Coated instead of paint.. and of course they say better welds and attention to detail. I think they said it has tie down points as well.

As of right now im thinking that the Gatormade is my next trailer, but i am still thinking of another Lone Wolf. I know that the wiring will be sketchy, the tail lights will be cheapos and the attention to detail as well as the gate will be lacking but is $500 better worth it?

Im guessing that they all have the same axles and suspension.. not sure what to look for to tell a difference. I do know that I bowed the axle on my Lone Wolf.. I worked it to death and carried way too much on it way too many times.

I have talked myself out of Carry On due to being a box store queen. I would rather support my local small business dealer.

Open Discussion for trailers you have owned or own and why you would or wouldnt buy them again.

Will you be hauling anything heavy on this trailer?

I learned long ago to wrap wires in an excessive amount of electrical tape anywhere they can rub on a trailer. Eliminates most electrical problems.

Can's you get a decent jack and new lights to fix the one you have that is only 6 months old? You will take a beating on trying to sell it. Maybe a dealer will take as a trade.

I have some older trailers and expect problems with lights.

They're all pretty much the same. Frame, axle, tongue, deck, bearings. Triangulated tongue, angle iron frame with expanded metal decking. The only real differences are paint quality and the tires. Used trailers , especially ones with a registration, don't seem to have any value as far as I'm concerned. They sell for nearly the same price as new but they still need bearings, tires, brakes, lights ... I just don't see the value in them.

Free or very cheap seems to work out. I just got done making an old 80s Coleman popup camper into a utility trailer (not my popup). I cut the outer parts of the frame off so it has a 4.5x9 deck on it, then added lights, tires -- both of which I had -- then made a quick deck. It'll work for hauling stuff to the dump. And almost done with the "Free" boat trailer that is being converted into a car trailer. I have about $1200 into it, which would be what I would have spent on brakes, lights, tires , bearings anyway on a used one.

I did use one of the harbor freight 4x8 for a few years. It was immensely useful. Especially behind my Ford Focus that had a towing capacity of 0. But I quickly found out that it doesn't tolerate being overloaded and running it in the salt causes it to disintegrate.

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
Will you be hauling anything heavy on this trailer?

I learned long ago to wrap wires in an excessive amount of electrical tape anywhere they can rub on a trailer. Eliminates most electrical problems.

Also -- ALWAYS run a separate ground circuit right to the light connector. Never use the trailer frame to ground. At some point it will corrode and you'll be chasing down light problems.

A few points I have learned regarding trailers over the years.
*Always buy the biggest trailer you can afford for your needs, never heard anyone say "I wish my trailer was 2' shorter"
*Likewise with the weight rating, "bigger is better" in this case
*Look around at used trailers just to see how different brands hold up over time.
*Most people don't perform regular maintenance on a trailer so the build/material quality will show up years later

Gatormade is a high quality trailer that "should" be worth the extra money versus a less expensive competitor, especially if you are planning on keeping the trailer for a long time.
Sure Trac is a brand I am not familiar with but you should be able to compare to the GM to determine quality

Originally Posted by Donald
Can's you get a decent jack and new lights to fix the one you have that is only 6 months old? You will take a beating on trying to sell it. Maybe a dealer will take as a trade.

I have some older trailers and expect problems with lights.

I have already replaced the jack, the lights and the wiring had a short in it as well.

Take a beating- no. Used trailers go FAST in my area. My Lone Wolf was 10 years old, and basically worn out from tongue to gate. I put brand new tires on it and sold it for $200 less than i paid for it. This Wesco I paid $1100 for it and i have it sold for $1000.

I think people only know of the $1900 price tag on big box stores and think they are ripping me off on these lower tier trailers.

Originally Posted by Strokenmerc
*Always buy the biggest trailer you can afford for your needs, never heard anyone say "I wish my trailer was 2' shorter"
*Look around at used trailers just to see how different brands hold up over time.
*Most people don't perform regular maintenance on a trailer so the build/material quality will show up years later

Gatormade is a high quality trailer that "should" be worth the extra money versus a less expensive competitor, especially if you are planning on keeping the trailer for a long time.
Sure Trac is a brand I am not familiar with but you should be able to compare to the GM to determine quality

Ha Ha.. i am the first to say i wish my trailer was smaller. When i bought my Wesco i really wanted a 6X12 but the dealer pushed me towards a 7X14 that he had. The lights were messed up and wiring needed sorted out. So i worked him all the way down to $1100.

The 7ft width on small rural roads has me working too much. At some point i will likely have to put a tire in the ditch to let a truck or tractor by. I want that extra foot back.

Also the 14ft is a tad too much, most everything ive ever hauled has fit in a 12. My suburban tow pig is long as it is, the extra 2 foot of un-needed just makes parking in lots more of a chore.

6X12 works best for me.. not sure what a 7X14 was meant for.

My son has a Gator Made dual axle car trailer, not sure of the dimensions but he has pulled a Ford F-150 on it with room to spare. He was considering a Texas Bragg at the time but went with the Gator Made and it has been a good solid trailer for the 6 years he has owned it. My 5x8 Carry On from Lowe's rusted within a year but has been a good trailer for the money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Originally Posted by Strokenmerc

Ha Ha.. i am the first to say i wish my trailer was smaller. When i bought my Wesco i really wanted a 6X12 but the dealer pushed me towards a 7X14 that he had. The lights were messed up and wiring needed sorted out. So i worked him all the way down to $1100.

The 7ft width on small rural roads has me working too much. At some point i will likely have to put a tire in the ditch to let a truck or tractor by. I want that extra foot back.

Also the 14ft is a tad too much, most everything ive ever hauled has fit in a 12. My suburban tow pig is long as it is, the extra 2 foot of un-needed just makes parking in lots more of a chore.

6X12 works best for me.. not sure what a 7X14 was meant for.

I also like smaller, well need. One of the reasons I went boat trailer over a purpose built car is the width. My driveway is extremely narrow. My F350 barely fits in it and when I borrow or rent a car trailer, I end up with the left tires in the neighbor's yard. And some of the cowpaths we end up on going to offroad events, my truck is just about as wide as the road!

My neighbor has a Big Tex and likes it. Its a 6x10 and what I like about it is the upper railing is round tube steel and the whole trailer is powder coated. He uses it to haul two Harleys and gear, its maybe 8-10 years old and looks brand new.
I personally have a 6 1/2 x 12 single axle with a bifold gate. I had a local welding shop custom make it. They also make trailers but this was build to order. My main area of concern was structure, I made them aware that I would be pulling it down miles and miles of washboard forest roads hauling atv's and dident want any risk of welds breaking. He said "son, my welds dont break but as long as Im alive you can bring it back if a weld breaks". I have a certain tongue length so I can have my tail gate open while connected to the trailer, my tool box on the front, bifild gate, a specific type of winch mount and rear spare tire carrier, 18" sides and multiple welded strap hook points, enclosed light mounts, side steps etc... With all the extras I probably paid about 800 more than any ole regular 6x12 but its a really well built trailer and have full confidence in it, it pulls very well.
The reason I mention all this is you may have a small outfit around your area that can do something like this for you. If you are ok with spending just a little more upfront you can have one built to your specs. I bought this trailer about 6 years ago and with the way trailers hold their value here in Florida I know I can sell it in another 5 years and get every dime I spent back out of it. Im actually considering it now because I want an enclosed trailer.

Back