GATES vs DAYCO for radiator hoses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which you like better? I noticed at RockAuto they say the warranty for Gates is limited lifetime while for Dayco it's 12 months/12,000 miles. My radiator hoses are still the factory originals - 15 years old.

^ They're about $5 of each other at RockAuto. Local auto parts stores have them for double the price of RockAuto. 15 years may be a long time to own a car to some people, but I'm so impressed with the car, I'm seriously considering looking for another one.

I have used both, and both work and last. The Gates is the better of the two though. In terms of belts, Gates blows Dayco out of the water. The Dayco belt for my Scion was so off it would not even go on. The Gates went right on.

Either one will likely outlive your vehicle. In the past, I have noticed that Dayco hoses are slightly thicker than Gates. One time for my Mercury, the Gates upper hose was improperly shaped and the Dayco matched the original.Belts, I prefer Dayco over Gates, they have been quieter.

Last edited:
I have run into fitment issues with a Dayco upper radiator hose before. In 2002 Ford changed the angle of the water neck on 3.0L V6 Rangers due to a new upper intake manifold design. The Dayco catalog does not account for this, and lists a hose that simply does not fit (but will fit older trucks with a straight up water neck). The Gates hose listed for the application does fit, but it's not as good of a fit as OE. I used Napa hoses on my 1994 4.0L, which I guess are probably Gates, and they fit really well.

If trying to pick between the two, I would go with the one with bends closest to the original hose. Material quality should be pretty good either way, it's fitment that's the big issue, and you can run into that with any aftermarket hose.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
If trying to pick between the two, I would go with the one with bends closest to the original hose. Material quality should be pretty good either way, it's fitment that's the big issue, and you can run into that with any aftermarket hose.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back