Dayco molded lower radiator hose poor quality

And it looks almost like they're trying to overlap applications, ie they had one kinda close already and said, "Eh, this oughta work..."
That was going to be my suggestion also. My Fiero, for example, uses a hose which also lists as being for a Mazda and a Nissan whenever I look up its part number..... Chances are it fits relatively "close enough" for all three but none perfectly.

That was going to be my suggestion also. My Fiero, for example, uses a hose which also lists as being for a Mazda and a Nissan whenever I look up its part number..... Chances are it fits relatively "close enough" for all three but none perfectly.
It lists as OP's application and a 4Runner. Now, I'm no Toyota expert but those body styles seem likely to place the engine and rad in different proximity to one another.

I wonder if OEM also used the same hose for the two vehicles
20230428_072445.jpg

Great catch, I stand corrected. Thank you.

The hose is a Gates, not Dayco.

I can't edit the post, wish I could, sorry for the error.

Stay young my friends. The catching of my error is just one of many examples of why BITOG is a master mind group!
I have found Gates to be the worst fitting hoses on Toyota cars and trucks. Its almost like they don’t even try. Glad you got it sorted out.

It lists as OP's application and a 4Runner. Now, I'm no Toyota expert but those body styles seem likely to place the engine and rad in different proximity to one another.

I wonder if OEM also used the same hose for the two vehicles View attachment 153024
The Lexus system shows one part number for this hose, and Toyota shows two part numbers (one of which matches the Lexus). No clear reason why there are two for the 4.7 V8 in a 4Runner. And it doesn’t matter now, GON is going to be cruising this weekend in his GX once he gets it buttoned up tomorrow!

Reactions: GON
The Lexus system shows one part number for this hose, and Toyota shows two part numbers (one of which matches the Lexus). No clear reason why there are two for the 4.7 V8 in a 4Runner. And it doesn’t matter now, GON is going to be cruising this weekend in his GX once he gets it buttoned up tomorrow!
Really this one was a let-down from @GON

I was hoping for a multi-month saga involving a junkyard hose, an engine fire, a meth-addled mekanik and a cross country move....but still ultimately with a happy ending. He kinda just skipped to happy ending part here. :(

And it doesn’t matter now, GON is going to be cruising this weekend in his GX once he gets it buttoned up tomorrow!
The replacement OEM lower radiator hose is in place.

But, I am on "lockdown" on Saturday. Wife his given very strict and stern orders to clean the outdoor furniture, power wash the deck, and even clean a large outdoor rug. She will do a white glove inspection after I report being finished, which I will fail the inspection, and have a bunch of cleaning to "redo". It is easier to pass a drill sergeants inspection of a barrack than my Wife's inspection of the deck......

lower radiator hose.jpg

To me it looks like someone hacked it and returned it. The edge is not a clean cut.
I cur the hose twice trying to make it work. The hose was wrong from the start, and although I gave it a couple hour effort, no way to make it work. Had those been of harder molding, maybe could have gotten by with the hose not collapsing, but no way around the misfit that had the hose touching the fan.

Anyone got a link to Toyota OE hoses that are close to Dayco and Gates prices?
OE hose from dealer is $30 using parts.toyota.com and then selecting to pick up at a dealer near to me. The Gates hose is $12 or so delivered from amazon ($22 at O’Reilly). Yes, big difference in cost, but I will gladly spend an extra for less headache and a part that fits.

Maybe the wrong sticker was put on it.....
Yes, that's what I think. What you are showing does not even match the pictures.

Lots of hoses are "cut to fit" so it's the right shape for the most part, you just might have to cut off a certain part of it. Smart way to consolidate applications, but I think the hose we are discussion in this thread is not even close and just plain wrong.

Where are you getting your parts from?

From the Dayco and Lexus parts references I use, by application and cross-ref:

Lexus P/N: 16572-50190 lower
Dayco P/N: 72302 lower

Lexus P/N: 16571-50200 upper
Dayco P/N: 72301 upper

Even RA shows the Dayco numbers above (by application).

The odd thing is that there's no 22832 hose in the Dayco catalog. Put that number in their part no. or x-ref field, search and it returns:

22832 = 72302 = Gates 22832
22832 = 72302 = Carquest 22832

Last edited:
Where are you getting your parts from?

From the Dayco and Lexus parts references I use, by application and cross-ref:

Lexus P/N: 16572-50190 lower
Dayco P/N: 72302 lower

Lexus P/N: 16571-50200 upper
Dayco P/N: 72301 upper

Even RA shows the Dayco numbers above (by application).

The odd thing is that there's no 22832 hose in the Dayco catalog. Put that number in their part no. or x-ref field, search and it returns:

22832 = 72302 = Gates 22832
22832 = 72302 = Carquest 22832

Paulo,

I had a senior moment. The hose was a Gates, not Dayco. My error in this thread. Sorry for the confusion.

I cur the hose twice trying to make it work. The hose was wrong from the start, and although I gave it a couple hour effort, no way to make it work. Had those been of harder molding, maybe could have gotten by with the hose not collapsing, but no way around the misfit that had the hose touching the fan.
By doing that, we have no way of knowing how bad the form actually was but I still believe you..

By doing that, we have no way of knowing how bad the form actually was but I still believe you..
:unsure:... well, if you think I was bored and installed the hose, didn't work, and tried trimming it twice out of desperation.......

Last edited:
I've found catalog errors in Rockauto's catalog before. Since they pull their parts database from the part manufacturers, guess where the errors come from?

In particular, I ordered a replacement gasket for my 2004 Crown Victoria, the one that goes between the tank and the pump flange, because I needed to replace the fuel pump, and what they sent did NOT fit but matched the photo--I got the "correct" part as far as part number and physical appearance. It just didn't fit, and shouldn't have been listed as fitting.

I just ended up re-using the original gasket which was still in good shape.

I'd also like to know why, for a 1984 Chevy Cavalier, one manufacturer lists an ignition module that crosses over to a different AC Delco number than another manufacturer's ignition module. These two ignition modules look identical but fit different vehicles depending on what manufacturer's catalog you are looking at.

Makes me wish for the days of paper catalogs. At least a database error won't screw up what was printed years before.

I've found catalog errors in Rockauto's catalog before. Since they pull their parts database from the part manufacturers, guess where the errors come from?

In particular, I ordered a replacement gasket for my 2004 Crown Victoria, the one that goes between the tank and the pump flange, because I needed to replace the fuel pump, and what they sent did NOT fit but matched the photo--I got the "correct" part as far as part number and physical appearance. It just didn't fit, and shouldn't have been listed as fitting.

I just ended up re-using the original gasket which was still in good shape.

I'd also like to know why, for a 1984 Chevy Cavalier, one manufacturer lists an ignition module that crosses over to a different AC Delco number than another manufacturer's ignition module. These two ignition modules look identical but fit different vehicles depending on what manufacturer's catalog you are looking at.

Makes me wish for the days of paper catalogs. At least a database error won't screw up what was printed years before.
Brian, my speculation is that Gates had poor engineering of the hose, and even used less material quality than the OEM.

Brian, my speculation is that Gates had poor engineering of the hose, and even used less material quality than the OEM.

Could be, but if it doesn't fit to the point where it's hitting the radiator fan, why even list it for that application? That's a guaranteed return, right there. A waste of time and money for all parties involved.

Reactions: GON
Back